Seas CA15RLY bookshelf designs.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What did I say about the SB Acoustics 4" woofer getting 1mH and 10uF? Seems I was right...:D

Not too impressive IMO. That 6kHz woofer resonance should be addressed. :rolleyes:

fakeout you are new and interested, I can tell. Frankly if you want a great speaker that goes loud without effort, 3-way is the way to go.
3-Way Classic

But for a newbie, a nice small 9L reflex 2-way is a good start.
SEAS CURV

This is not a million miles away from the splendid Spendor A9 in drivers. Ought to be very good, though I would again address the Cone Breakup region around 5kHz with an added 0.82uF +33 ohms tank across the 1.2mH bass coil.

Cabinets are discussed here, one of my better posts IMO, but don't worry about details too much. A box is largely a box.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/223174-interesting-read-i-found-lossy-cabinet-designs-harbeth.html#post3234256

Attachments

• SB-Acoustics_SB12NRX4.JPG
    SB-Acoustics_SB12NRX4.JPG
    95.7 KB · Views: 382
  • Spendor_A9.JPG
    Spendor_A9.JPG
    35.5 KB · Views: 364
  • SEAS_Curv_Troels_Gravesen.JPG
    SEAS_Curv_Troels_Gravesen.JPG
    24.9 KB · Views: 378
What is your budget? How big may the speaker be?
google up on illuminata 15, or nada.

Well, I mean some Seas, Scan-Speak and SB Acoustics woofers or mid-woofers are around $50 to $75 for the lower priced models so I was thinking along those lines. I still have at least a couple of months to decide but now I'm kind of contemplating buyout speakers. I think I'm going to take a break from the questions for now (to ponder and reflect lol).

Well, maybe one more question before I take a break from questions. As a rule, does the quality level with Peerless go up with the model numbers like 830874 is superior to 830860 or is it all over the map?

no, no number/quality relation. In this case just a difference of 1 1/2 inch.
The smaller driver is used in the StartAirKit 3R, together with a vifa tweeter. Fabulous sound (esp. for the price) But also regardless of the price.

I would personally favor a Gravesen design. Especially the 5 inch minis. you can always upgrade, using the same cabinet. But the SAKs are half the price and are probably only slightly less well-sounding, definitely not half as good.

I am not sure what it is. Software for simulating speaker design? I have no experience with such things. Not sure what to think, but established developers are not fond of modeling xo's per internet software by just entering driver parameters and so. stick to a design if u have no experience, no measuring gear and want quick succes.

Troels also has a peerless/vifa mini, so to say a step up of my SAKs. He is very fond of peerless midbass drivers and vifa tweeters, which i can understand. Very nice quality of midrepresentation, and excellent finishquality. (even the cheap drivers)

lol, I finally found what I think I might like. A kit and a design for 4.7 liter cabinets with brand name drivers. The Sopranos by Jeff Bagby.
Sopranos (Pair)

Of course, by the time I get money in May to buy them they may be sold out. Haha, whatever I guess. I wish it came with a birch plywood flat pack though with the driver cut outs already done. A couple of comments I like about these speakers is they can be used in different placements and Jeff Bagby said they sound realistic.

That's a happy choice. Jeff Bagby is one of my favourite designers. :)

The Sopranos are TINY so don't expect huge bass, but they will doubtless deliver good midrange if you use them in a small room. SB Acoustics make great drivers affordable. Vented bass has always done the business for me.

The issue with two-ways is they don't go loud comfortably. Various reasons for that and 3-ways or series MTM's (it's a simple conversion) are better. But you will have a good time with these. Go for it. :cool:

SC4 is referring to bass reflex tuning at the bottom end. Not a big deal.

Attachments

• Jeff_Bagby_The_Sopranos.JPG
    Jeff_Bagby_The_Sopranos.JPG
    32 KB · Views: 327
  • Jeff_Bagby_Sopranos.JPG
    Jeff_Bagby_Sopranos.JPG
    29.7 KB · Views: 324
System7, thanks for answering my question about SC4.

Regarding size and power, I would prefer to put speakers on my desk so I don't want something too large. And there are two reasons I don't want something "too powerful". First, I live in an appartement. Second, even though people insist full range speakers (single speaker each side for those who don't know) can sound cleaner, a 2-way from what I read can handle more "demanding" music like rock music. Even though a 2-way may not be able to handle punk music the same way as a 3-way, there are more crossovers and people say they demand more power. Something subjective that I may be incorrect about (may be that the speakers I listened to were cheap), I find more powerful speakers have enough bass to have a negative impact on voice quality. (From comparisons I made in stores.)

Besides, I did read a comment on the Ariel by Lynn Olsen that some 3-ways will intentionally use inferior midrange and tweeters because the size of their woofers won't permit them to catch up to the smaller mid-range drivers and tweeters. This is a wee bit disturbing for $3K to $5K speakers. lol Anyway, I'm not the expert on this so my interpretation may not be correct. But, yeah, I think the Sopranos by Jeff Bagby is the more "rational" choice for me from my point of view. (At least for now unless I find something I prefer.) :D

fakeout, if you are reading Lynn Olson, you are cooking with GAS! :D

Here's a quote from Lynn that pretty much explains how speaker design works:

When working with rigid-cone drivers, there are some hard choices to make: if you lower the crossover frequency to minimize driver coloration, tweeter IM distortion skyrockets, resulting in raspy, distorted high frequencies at mid-to-high listening levels.

If you raise the crossover frequency to improve the sound of the tweeter, the rigid-driver breakup creeps in, resulting in a forward, aggressive sound at moderate listening levels, and complete breakup at high levels. (Unlike paper cones, Kevlar, metal, and carbon fibers do not go into gradual breakup.)

With the drivers we have today, the best all-around compromise is a 2nd, 3rd, or 4th-order (12-24dB/Oct.) crossover with an additional NOTCH filter tuned to remove the most significant HF resonance of the midbass driver.

Question: See if you can see where Lynn's notch or tank goes with these two SEAS speakers...not hard, is it? :cool:

Attachments

• SEAS_CA15RLY_Frequency_Response.JPG
    SEAS_CA15RLY_Frequency_Response.JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 312
  • SEAS_U16RCY-P.JPG
    SEAS_U16RCY-P.JPG
    58 KB · Views: 303
Hi,

Using good speakers on a desktop is generally bad, for nearfield
they are not balanced correctly, and for farfield unless perched
on the front corners you'll get a lot of additional problems.

For nearfield use and those PE cabinets the low BSC version
of Zaph|Audio - 4" Bargain Mini would work very well.
Still basically needs a sub though for deep bass.

For deep bass with no sub your much better off with a small footprint
floorstander, e.g : https://sites.google.com/site/undefinition/diy/amiga

rgds, sreten.

Good as Paul Carmody and Zaph might be, fakeout has considered this issue of small room and desk placement already. NOT A PROBLEM. :D

Jeff Bagby "The Sopranos" said:
Placement Applications:

As I mentioned earlier, this speaker was design to work as well as possible in a wide range of applications. I listen to small speakers typically on a stands away from the walls. My brother, on the other hand, will have these on shelves or wall brackets flanking his TV. I also knew that some people might like them on a desk as computer speakers powered by something like the Dayton DTA-100 or other tripath amplifier.

So, I compromised the tonal balance to fit between to extremes of boundary reinforcement. The sound is a bit different, but whether sitting free-field or against the wall (with a couple inches for port clearance) or on a desk, they sound satisfyingly balanced to me and I am quite happy with them.

The answer to the much more interesting question of notching the SEAS bass cone-breakup is 5kHz of course. This happens to be particularly easy to calculate. 10uF and 0.1mH and 1.5R on a notch, or 1mH bass coil and 1uF and 33R across it with a tank. Or any other combination that preserves the product. What is nice about this correction is it lines phase up nicely too. :cool:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.