Seas CA15RLY bookshelf designs. - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th March 2013, 07:01 PM   #31
fakeout is offline fakeout  Canada
diyAudio Member

System7, thanks for answering my question about SC4.

Regarding size and power, I would prefer to put speakers on my desk so I don't want something too large. And there are two reasons I don't want something "too powerful". First, I live in an appartement. Second, even though people insist full range speakers (single speaker each side for those who don't know) can sound cleaner, a 2-way from what I read can handle more "demanding" music like rock music. Even though a 2-way may not be able to handle punk music the same way as a 3-way, there are more crossovers and people say they demand more power. Something subjective that I may be incorrect about (may be that the speakers I listened to were cheap), I find more powerful speakers have enough bass to have a negative impact on voice quality. (From comparisons I made in stores.)

Besides, I did read a comment on the Ariel by Lynn Olsen that some 3-ways will intentionally use inferior midrange and tweeters because the size of their woofers won't permit them to catch up to the smaller mid-range drivers and tweeters. This is a wee bit disturbing for $3K to $5K speakers. lol Anyway, I'm not the expert on this so my interpretation may not be correct. But, yeah, I think the Sopranos by Jeff Bagby is the more "rational" choice for me from my point of view. (At least for now unless I find something I prefer.)
Old 9th March 2013, 07:23 PM   #32
system7 is offline system7  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

fakeout, if you are reading Lynn Olson, you are cooking with GAS!

Here's a quote from Lynn that pretty much explains how speaker design works:

Quote:
When working with rigid-cone drivers, there are some hard choices to make: if you lower the crossover frequency to minimize driver coloration, tweeter IM distortion skyrockets, resulting in raspy, distorted high frequencies at mid-to-high listening levels.

If you raise the crossover frequency to improve the sound of the tweeter, the rigid-driver breakup creeps in, resulting in a forward, aggressive sound at moderate listening levels, and complete breakup at high levels. (Unlike paper cones, Kevlar, metal, and carbon fibers do not go into gradual breakup.)

With the drivers we have today, the best all-around compromise is a 2nd, 3rd, or 4th-order (12-24dB/Oct.) crossover with an additional NOTCH filter tuned to remove the most significant HF resonance of the midbass driver.
Question: See if you can see where Lynn's notch or tank goes with these two SEAS speakers...not hard, is it?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SEAS_CA15RLY_Frequency_Response.JPG (56.5 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg SEAS_U16RCY-P.JPG (58.0 KB, 117 views)
Old 9th March 2013, 08:03 PM   #33
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Using good speakers on a desktop is generally bad, for nearfield
they are not balanced correctly, and for farfield unless perched
on the front corners you'll get a lot of additional problems.

For nearfield use and those PE cabinets the low BSC version
of Zaph|Audio - 4" Bargain Mini would work very well.
Still basically needs a sub though for deep bass.

For deep bass with no sub your much better off with a small footprint
floorstander, e.g : https://sites.google.com/site/undefinition/diy/amiga

rgds, sreten.
Old 10th March 2013, 10:14 PM   #34
system7 is offline system7  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Good as Paul Carmody and Zaph might be, fakeout has considered this issue of small room and desk placement already. NOT A PROBLEM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Bagby "The Sopranos"

Placement Applications:

As I mentioned earlier, this speaker was design to work as well as possible in a wide range of applications. I listen to small speakers typically on a stands away from the walls. My brother, on the other hand, will have these on shelves or wall brackets flanking his TV. I also knew that some people might like them on a desk as computer speakers powered by something like the Dayton DTA-100 or other tripath amplifier.

So, I compromised the tonal balance to fit between to extremes of boundary reinforcement. The sound is a bit different, but whether sitting free-field or against the wall (with a couple inches for port clearance) or on a desk, they sound satisfyingly balanced to me and I am quite happy with them.
The answer to the much more interesting question of notching the SEAS bass cone-breakup is 5kHz of course. This happens to be particularly easy to calculate. 10uF and 0.1mH and 1.5R on a notch, or 1mH bass coil and 1uF and 33R across it with a tank. Or any other combination that preserves the product. What is nice about this correction is it lines phase up nicely too.
Old 11th March 2013, 03:27 AM   #35
fakeout is offline fakeout  Canada
diyAudio Member

Yes, and I figure putting them at the edge of the desk may help as well (to avoid reflections or tilting them up with a taller rubber pad in the front). lol

Hide this!Advertise here!