Seas CA15RLY bookshelf designs. - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd March 2013, 06:48 PM   #11
fakeout is offline fakeout  Canada
diyAudio Member

Cool, I like that EllamXT idea. OK, then if Vifa and Scan Speak are somewhat related, how would these work out?
Peerless 830870 QTS 0.54
Peerless P830991 QTS 0.49
Peerless P835024 QTS 0.65

I don't want to go down too much in quality but wanted to explore my options.
Old 3rd March 2013, 08:32 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

A very nice alternative from SB acoustics: SB15MFC30-8. Fs: 39Hz, Qts: 0.37, Vas: 17.7 liters, Xlin: +/-5mm, Sens.: 87dB. Works nicely up to 5k. Price is around 58USD
Old 3rd March 2013, 08:58 PM   #13
system7 is offline system7  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonweed View Post
A very nice alternative from SB acoustics: SB15MFC30-8. Fs: 39Hz, Qts: 0.37, Vas: 17.7 liters, Xlin: +/-5mm, Sens.: 87dB. Works nicely up to 5k. Price is around 58USD
Very nice, indeed, dragonweed. I like the look of it myself. But what on earth would you do about a filter? How would you model it?

SB Acoustics :: 5" SB15MFC30-8

I suppose you could throw the usual 1mH and 10uF at it along with a standard sort of tweeter, but we hope to be more precise than that usually.

Not much help in SB Acoustics little reference designs...
SB Acoustics :: REFERENCE DESIGNS
Old 4th March 2013, 04:47 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Lightbulb will this work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by system7 View Post
Ah, quite right, I'm sure. The Vifa PL14WJ is hard to find these days, and only made in limited runs by SOMEBODY!

Somebody is using the same tooling though. Apart from the bass vent and change of cone material, the PL14WJ is remarkably similar to the Scan speak 15W-8434G00. Useful if you want to reuse a cabinet.
That Vifa PL14WJ looks interesting. I'm still wondering what I want to do but if anyone was looking for these, I know there's a kit at solen.ca at Solen Electronique Inc.
the only thing that's keeping me from getting it is the design is 39cm tall. lol

There's one design out there for the SB Acoustics SB12NRXF25 but it's in French: Projet Toybox : la mini aux deux visages ! - Enceintes

a Google translate version: Google Translate

Can anyone with experience verify the crossover and box design? It's small, not too expensive, not too cheap and goes down to the 50 Hz range. Pretty interesting.
Old 4th March 2013, 04:52 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

By the way, for those looking for more expensive designs in mini monitors, I found these:

Scan Speak 15W/8530-K00 and Vifa XT25
(author says it's the best 2-way he's designed)
Zaph|Audio - ZD5 - Scan Speak 15W8530K00 and Vifa XT25

Scan-Speak 15W/8530-K00 and Vifa XT25TG-30-04
Ellam-XT

Scan-Speak 15W/8530-K00 is $213 at
Scan Speak, 15W8530K00

Seas W12CY003 and Seas 22TAF-G
Eekels' Mini

Seas W12CY003 is $183 at
https://www.solen.ca/pub/index.php?c...=1&s2=&s3=&s4=

I don't know if this is of any use, but I found a sealed box calculator:
http://www.mh-audio.nl/CBC.asp

Last edited by fakeout; 4th March 2013 at 04:54 AM.
Old 4th March 2013, 07:27 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Hi Fakeout,
there are probably tons of designs out there. I would go for a kit/design of well etablished designer. The chances of being able to hear one are small. Therefore it is important to know what the philosophies of the designer are. with Troels or Zaph there is a good deal to be found out.
In Germany, there are two magazines dedicated to designing and testing DIYloudspeakers. There philsophie is usually to make the right choice in economy vs performance and mostly per speaker there is a certain purpose. All of these designs are sold at strassacker.de, most have a sort of review/desription. Only thing missing is measurements. And that sucks. But be assured that most kits really are well engineered.
Old 4th March 2013, 07:59 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by system7 View Post
SEAS L16RN-SL : H1480 L16RN-SL

You could be entering a world of PAIN with that metal one, my friend. Needs a good notch at 5kHz. Not for a rookie!
Are you saying even if I find a design on the Internet where the crossover has already been done, I shouldn't bother with it?

By the way, for those looking at the same type of speakers, even though I've read lots of positive comments on different brands, one person stated that Seas, Scan-Speak and SB Acoustics are all good.

Last edited by fakeout; 4th March 2013 at 08:03 PM.
Old 4th March 2013, 08:39 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

And indeed they are. they have excellent build quality and are very well enigineered. But what IS a good driver? It all depends on the purpose.
If u find a good design nothing should stop u. But how do u judge wether it is a good design?
Old 5th March 2013, 12:57 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAKsuper View Post
And indeed they are. they have excellent build quality and are very well enigineered. But what IS a good driver? It all depends on the purpose.
If u find a good design nothing should stop u. But how do u judge wether it is a good design?
Well, at this point, only people like the person on audioexcite who verified the Zaph SR71 design know. I wanted to start reading my books on speaker design over the last weekend and ended up reading web site after web site trying to find designs, info.

I'm still not convinced on a final design though. My idea was kind of similar to the one on the French web site although the modeling said it's vented. I was looking more towards a similar-sized sealed one. There's always one plus or negative for every aspect of a speaker but I was leaning towards sealed partly because some people claim it produces a cleaner bass.
Old 5th March 2013, 02:54 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

lol, I just found a $23 cabinet. It's 0.23 ft^3 or 6.5 liters. Knock-Down MDF 0.23 ft³ Mini Bookshelf Cabinet 300-7062
I know MDF might not be ideal but still interesting for saving money.

Hide this!Advertise here!