Question about the group delay of this:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am designing a subwoofer using a 12" long-excursion bass driver and a pair of 3" flared ports in a fairly large box, and I am wondering if a group delay of 50ms at about 20Hz is going to be super terrible in the case of a high-Mms driver with a large vented box at these low frequencies? This is going to be about a 70% Music and 30% Home Theater subwoofer.

Hi,

I don't think that will matter very much, because of 2 things:
- I don't think your room is enough that it's possible to get a 20Hz sine in there, and hearing 20 Hz isn't very easy too. You will feel the 20 Hz, and with feeling the gd isn't very important.
- the delay/reflections in your room can be way over 10 times 50ms, that makes the 50ms pretty small.

So: conclusion: no problemo! Group Delay at 40 Hz and above is far more interesting. If THAT is over 50ms, you don't want it.

Grtz, Joris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.