crossover help for my boombox

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Last thing...
After listening to the box for a few days i notice that it gets distorty if that's the right word when the amp is a little over 50% volume. This may have happened before but only when the volume was 75%-100% volume.
Is it because the crossover is 6 ohms now that it may be louder but distorts quicker?
Is it because the lepai amp starts to clip at a certain range?
Is it normal for that amp?
I think the distortion is coming from the tweeters but its hard to tell at that volume.

Any experience is welcomed.

Yes its defiantly coming from the tweeters. One song I was listening to only came out the tweeters during a certain part and they were crackling at the 50%-75% volume. And then the song did just the woofers at the same volume and they sounded fine. what could be the problem?

Could it be that a frequency that the tweeter doesn't like is reaching it causing problems?

I ran a frequency test I found on youtube that did a test wave through 20hz-20000hz and the woofer crossed at around the 4500hz-50000hz range I can't be exact it happened to quickly and it was too loud, and then the tweeter turned on and took over, so I think the crossover is doing its job properly.

Last edited:
Yes its defiantly coming from the tweeters. One song I was listening...
Did you change the frequency of the crossover to work with the new tweeter?
This is my interpretation from your line of work (this thread/posts).
Fs in your tweeter is at crossover frequency so that it's very bad and cause of resonance. I told you to use a simulation software with the FRD/ZMA's as a last and useful resource, if not making guess work in addressing crossover changes say from initial 2K5Hz to possible 5KHz or something similar. :eek:

Maybe it's something else, like components or connections... revise all connections and measure components if you can.

Last edited:
Since the tweeter and woofer are almost identical I thought the frequency was the same.

But I asked my physics teacher this morning for his opinion and he said it might be because I didn't solder anything together that the crackling might be occurring.

I only twisted the wires together, the reason I didn't solder them is because I kept having to move things until I got it right. But now that it is right should I solder them all together or will that really make the problem go away.

The reason that my teacher told me was because the connection could get oxidation and create a resonance in the high frequency range which would be in the tweeters making the crackling noise.

Ok, I soldered everything up and it is much better, now its only sounds crackly a little bit at 80%-90% volume which is where the speaker also starts to max out. So now i think it is the amps fault where it starts to begin clipping. But i think it is all fine now. I'll keep listening to it to make sure, but for right now i think it sounds good.

No, its both of them. how would I go about fixing the crossover frequency.

Also i hooked up the tweeters backwards by the way, will that make a difference. I thought the positive and negative was supposed to be reversed it the crossover picture.

please let me know. :)

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.