Looking for a mid/woofer to match with a RAAL tweeter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
You can only do this if you send everything down to 20hz out the woofer output of the deqx for the subwoofer. But then you risk overdriving the woofer. I've thought this through a lot. I could introduce another line-level crossover. But then I have to equalize the two together and phase match them some other way then using delay in the deqx.

The solution that works: buy a hdp express-II instead of buying expensive woofers that would be necessary to make a 3-way full range. Use my existing subwoofer for 60 or 80Hz and below.

What about Y'ing the signal as it enters the DEQX and sending one half directly to the sub amp? Does the DEQX introduce too much latency from all of the intense processing?

Greg

What about Y'ing the signal as it enters the DEQX and sending one half directly to the sub amp? Does the DEQX introduce too much latency from all of the intense processing?

two things: 1. you lose the volume control in the DEQX. 2. the input signal isn't necessarily analog (and in most cases not). I'm using the deqx as a DAC for all my 2.0 sources. For multi-channel I'm using a Oppo BDP-105 and then using the analog inputs of the deqx. In that case the volume is controlled by the Oppo and your suggestion would work.

Digital input to the deqx is preferred. There's no point in using a boutique DAC before the deqx. The deqx will convert it to digital and send it out through its own DAC. That's part of the trade-off with going with a DSP active crossoover. You have to go 'all-in' with them. In my case I love the sound of the deqx and its dac. I love the way speakers sound with active crossovers.

You can take the digital outputs of the deqx and feed it into boutique DACs. But you would need 3 stereo DACs. The DAC in the deqx is the 32bit Burr-Brown. The analog output stage is very good. I'm very happy the sound.

Yes, the deqx does add significant delay. You can control how much. The more delay you allow the better the crossovers and group delay alignment.

Last edited:
Ah yes, volume control and routing.

Yeah, active is the way to go. I'm running 3 way Digmoda amps because I could not afford DEQX and the necessary amps to go along with it right now. Kinda blew the budget on drivers and bamboo ply/cnc services.

Come back with picts once you figure out the final design. We all love speaker pron.

Greg

Greg, the OP is strictly talking about HT here, where all of the spatial cues are in the soundtrack itself.

While diffusion is helpful on the back wall, any frontal soundstage stretching(or expansion if you will) can change the delicate balance between the picture width, and the image width of the audio. If the sound it much larger than the picture, the brain will never "believe" what it is seeing and hearing is real. Most folks into HT do not understand the idea of scaling their audio and picture together so that one is not larger than the other.

Music on the other hand is quite a different beast.

I've been thinking about this. I have enough room on my wall for both a HT set of speakers and music speakers. As long as the music speakers are not too wide.

So I think what I'll do is pull the NHT M80s in close to the TV and build a pair of dedicated music speakers. More to come.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.