Looking for a mid/woofer to match with a RAAL tweeter - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th March 2013, 08:35 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny_66 View Post
My vote goes for Accuton.
I've made a speaker with the Raal 140-15D and the Accuton C173-6-090.
I like the look of your project. Nice work. I'll probably do something similar in the end.
Old 4th March 2013, 10:21 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

I also like how they sound
I really like the use of separate cabinets for the mid/highs and the woofers:
I can still move them around and the vibrations of the woofers are not transmitted to the mid/high cabinets.
Old 5th March 2013, 05:55 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

great driver,but only one driver? that makes an SD of 81cm2??? you won`t get happy dynamic wise.with bafflestep around 83 db SPL. not so much. i would take at least a 6 1/2 " driver or a 8" driver. seriously.
Old 5th March 2013, 06:17 AM   #24
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tr westwood View Post
great driver,but only one driver? that makes an SD of 81cm2??? you won`t get happy dynamic wise.with bafflestep around 83 db SPL. not so much. i would take at least a 6 1/2 " driver or a 8" driver. seriously.
At what crossover frequency with the woofers do you think one of the mid-range drivers would be adequate with? Keep in mind that I'm currently just proto-typing the tweeter/mid-range pair for a final 3-way project.
Old 5th March 2013, 12:43 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

i dont know. i wouldn`t pick that driver. with that SD size maybe 500-600 hz. but that doesn`t make sense at all. because then you need for example an 6 1/2 " bassmidrange and below 60-80hz a sub.

personally i never found a speaker that i liked who crossed at that range.

every 3 way i build ist mor like a sat/sub thing. i try to cross midrange and tweeter as low as possible. midrange and bass i cross usually between 50-60hz. so i get only one crossing point at a really noticable frequency and a tight and flawless bass. the sub is in that case only the salt in the soup, but you won`t die if the bass wouldn`t work. and i mean `not a mono sub. every speaker gets his own bass channel.
Old 5th March 2013, 12:48 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

i would take a 6 1/2 or better a 8". you really feel the difference of the little bit bigger size. something like more authority even for voices and esspecially with drums. punch. :-)
Old 5th March 2013, 04:01 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

I see what your saying. Surface area = punch and dynamics. Qualities I'm looking for.

Ignore what I said at the beginning of the thread. I'm now thinking that my target crossover frequencies should be 180-240 and 2500-3000 (approx 3 octaves for each driver). If I double up the C90-6-724 I'll have SD of 162. Compare that to a single C173-6-090 which would have 133. Plus more motors for more efficiency. Does this math work?

I appreciate the feedback.
Old 5th March 2013, 05:21 PM   #28
jReave is offline jReave  Canada
diyAudio Member

falconsprint,
I can't help but feel that you're aiming for the wrong goalposts here.

My suggestion would be to do it right from the start and optimize your driver selection for a 3-way plus a sub instead of trying to stretch everything out into a 2-way plus sub. Especially when you're dealing with such high end drivers.

So instead of trying to make two C90's do the job of one C173 and also trying to make your subs fill in on the low midbass, just use 1 x C90 for say 330 - 2600Hz (a true 3 octaves) and then add 2 x C173 for all the punch and dynamics that you're looking for between 80-330Hz. This way each driver is operating very comfortably within its optimum range.

Take a look at the C173-6-096 for example - The Madisound Speaker Store. It says its useful range is 40-3000Hz but then look down at its Harmonic Distortion graph: beautiful and clean until you hit about 85Hz and then it sky-rockets as the LF decreases. So, xo above that point.
If you look at the HD graph for the C90, The Madisound Speaker Store, you'll see that its HD starts heading for the skies just after 200Hz, so again, cross it over above that point. While you're at it, notice that you'll also have to tame those ugly 3rd harmonic peaks around 3000Hz.

Now you can also optimize the placement of your subs anywhere in the room because they also are not being asked to operate outside of their comfort zones and produce frequencies that are localizable.

Just my 2 cents of course.
Old 5th March 2013, 05:37 PM   #29
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

EMS

Products
Old 5th March 2013, 05:55 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jReave View Post
I can't help but feel that you're aiming for the wrong goalposts here.
My suggestion would be to do it right from the start and optimize your driver selection for a 3-way plus a sub instead of trying to stretch everything out into a 2-way plus sub. Especially when you're dealing with such high end drivers.
I appreciate the honest feedback and thanks for taking the time to help.

I just want to make sure you are aware that I've changed the goal from the start of the thread. I am no longer interested in incorporating my NHT S80 subwoofers into the project. Perhaps I should ask we stop discussion in this thread and I'll start a new thread, including a discussion about which woofers to use and the optimal crossover frequencies.

I'd like to build a 3-way full range system. The deqx active crossover only supports a 3-way system You can do 4-way with two hdp-4s, but I would rather spend the money on drivers.

Quote:
If you look at the HD graph for the C90, The Madisound Speaker Store, you'll see that its HD starts heading for the skies just after 200Hz, so again, cross it over above that point. While you're at it, notice that you'll also have to tame those ugly 3rd harmonic peaks around 3000Hz.

I'm thinking a target crossover of 240hz, and 2500hz with the deqx. Both steep, 48db octave or higher. I'm sure that itself is a controversial topic. But as I've said above, once you buy into the deqx, steep crossovers are the norm. So both issues shouldn't be a problem.

Quote:
Now you can also optimize the placement of your subs anywhere in the room because they also are not being asked to operate outside of their comfort zones and produce frequencies that are localizable.

I agree, but my current listening room has an abundance of absorption. I don't need a lot of LF equalization with my current setup.

Last edited by falconsprint; 5th March 2013 at 06:13 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!