Speaker wire for inside the cabinet?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What is the general consensus on an appropriate wire to use inside my 3-way speaker cabinets as well as my sub?

I will have 200w available per channel for the 3-way and have a yung 500w amp for the 10" sub. I am going to assume that in these short runs nothing really matters but awg but if so, what is a good size to go with?

Thx

16 gauge zip to the woofer, 18 or 20 to the mids and tweets. Same as outside. This is another of the non-problems. Do the math. I actually liked some "fancy" 16 gauge ultra fine stranded that came with a Madisound kit because it was so flexible and easy to work with. My subs I use 12 ga zip. Mostly because I still have too much from when I thought it made a difference.

I tend to solder everything. Not that it is a magical improvement, but that it is reliable.

16 gauge zip to the woofer, 18 or 20 to the mids and tweets. Same as outside. This is another of the non-problems. Do the math. I actually liked some "fancy" 16 gauge ultra fine stranded that came with a Madisound kit because it was so flexible and easy to work with. My subs I use 12 ga zip. Mostly because I still have too much from when I thought it made a difference.

I tend to solder everything. Not that it is a magical improvement, but that it is reliable.

For simplicity sake maybe I will just go with 16awg for the 3-way across all drivers and 12 for the sub?

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
just dont overdo it, and risk breaking your driver connectors
its really not that important
think simple, and use the same wire all the way from amp to driver
or maybe only use a lighter wire for the tweeter internally

and here comes my problem marching in
I like to use solid core speaker cables
and they are really not good internally, because they break the driver connectors
a dilemma
unless ofcourse its very thin solid core, like they did it in the old days :D

Kooshball,
Something to think about is if you use large gauge wire and solder it to the terminals sometimes the leadout wires to the voicecoil will melt their solder and then you are in trouble. Personally I never solder to the terminals and use a female crimp connector to connect to the male lug that most speakers have on them. On my personal speakers the connectors are push type gold plated connectors so you can use bare wire of tinned ends. Rarely will you see a screw connection but I have seen those in cheap speakers.

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
That is correct.

Cable is often chosen for the practical aspects, such as physical strength and voltage ratings. I'd think the fact you wouldn't access this cable as much due to it being inside a box justifies making it more substantial or reliable.

The fact that it is short means it would make little difference either way.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.