diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Multi-Way (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/)
-   -   highly affordable LS cable killer tip (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/23094-highly-affordable-ls-cable-killer-tip.html)

Salas 22nd November 2003 07:46 PM

highly affordable LS cable killer tip

Hi all,

Try Mogami 3082 coax speaker cable. In Greece it retails for Euro 9 per metre. Must be available and affordable widely since Mogami is a big pro cable manufacturer.
Its tonal balance is spot on.

Regards

Salas

usekgb 22nd November 2003 10:28 PM

I see one big problem with the Mogami Coax speaker cable.......shielding. This creates a capacitive load down the length of the cable and acts like a high pass filter. Does anyone find anything wrong with this? For an affordable cable that sounds great, try the Canare 4S11. This is a quad 14 gauge cable. By wrapping two pairs together, you get two conductors at 11 gauge each. I have been using this configuration for a while now, and I am quite happy with it. The bass response is amazing! High end clarity is excellent as well.

Cheers,
Zach

bigparsnip 23rd November 2003 12:08 AM

I think you may be over estimating the effect of the cable capacitance here, as assuming at a rough guess around 500pF for a cable run into an 8ohm load, you would be getting a -3dB (low pass) point of around 40MHz which (at least to my ears) should be inaudible.

usekgb 23rd November 2003 01:14 AM

You may be right, but I am still wary of using a coaxial cable for speaker cable. When I checked this cable out a couple of weeks ago, it reminded me a lot of RG-58 cable. Maybe I should hook some test equipment up to it and get some real numbers.

Cheers,
Zach

bigparsnip 23rd November 2003 05:12 PM

Couldn't hurt, the main things that I have against using a coax cable are the facts that they are never as beefy (in terms of current capability) as more normal cables, and when you are terminating the ends, it can get a little messy if you aren't careful.

Salas 23rd November 2003 08:13 PM

....but it sounds ok

Yes coax is a pain to terminate in an elegand manner.
But did you listen to it? We are not talking RF TL transfer functions here. We are talking sound. Right?

Salas 23rd November 2003 08:49 PM

Ah! forgot the 2534....

Also try 2534 Mogami patch cable. So cheap...so divine.

Salas 23rd November 2003 08:51 PM

2534 is for interconnect not loudspeaker ;-) just in case...

usekgb 26th November 2003 10:59 PM

I use 2534 for interconnects all the time. We have 500 ft spools of it in several different colors at my work. Good stuff. Another great interconnect cable is the Canare GS-6. wonderful stuff! You can go past the 20ft unbalanced limit without losing much high end. Check it out.

Cheers,
Zach

fdegrove 26th November 2003 11:43 PM

Hi,

Mogami is a bit like Canare...not bad but not quite topnotch.

Cheers,;)