Anyone used Radian co-axial drivers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Does anyone have experience with the Radian 5215B or 5312 co-axial drivers? These are really live/stage units but seem to me like good candidates for (fairly large) domestic speakers.

Radian supply data and suitable crossovers, and the response curves seem reasonably good. Check out www.radianaudio.com

I'm wondering if box design might affect parameters sufficiently to require crossover re-design... What do the boffins here think?

All help/opinions appreciated.

Sheldon.

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Here's a handy website.
http://www.ampslab.com

Sniff around under their "projects" and "Loudspeakers"
and you will discover some cool stuff.

The also have toob amps for those dinosaurs that actually prefer them to chip amps HaHaHa

:D :eek: :eek: :D :D ;)

Also this meandering thread was where they were mentioned first:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=247068#post247068

NOTICE: there is a USA speaker company that makes expensive
efficient speakers based on the Radian co-ax's
If any one can remember who they are please notify us!

EDIT!!!!!

the Speakers are Galante Audio
Rhapsody model

check out ta review here:
http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/archives/
there are two of them.)

You have to click down through "Equpment Reviews" and "Loudspeakers"

Variac said:

NOTICE: there is a USA speaker company that makes expensive
efficient speakers based on the Radian co-ax's
If any one can remember who they are please notify us!

Another rather well known in pro-audio world company that uses Radian drivers is BagEnd- in their Time-align studio monitor.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

It's a custom made driver but the off the shelf thing is not much different.
You get good sensitivity, but not much output below 90 Hz.
BagEnd subs are a nice match, but just about any good sub with 4th order LP around 80 Hz will mate well.

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
DrG,

Well, I have determined that I wasn't as helpful as I thought I was being.

Galante is the company I was thinking of, but for a 12" coax driver it would be the "Symphony" model.

I'm not aware of any reviews of it though.

The Galantes claim to use a cast basket. The small Radian co-ax speakers only have stamped frames now, so clearly there is a difference. Also this is a new model with a different model number.

The Ampslab folks pointed out in the 15" driver thread that their crossovers and cabinets are designed for a series of drivers that appears to be discontinued. The ones they used have foam surrounds. Also, Ampslabs 12" design uses separate woofer/ tweeter.

I can't find a crossover scematic on the radian site-just a mention
that the crossover is available. Is that what you meant?

Lastly, I've e-mailed them various times to find out how to get our hands on their drivers, and have never gotten a response.
Anyone know how the get their drivers and how much they cost?

I know that they aren't cheap, but might be a bargain nonetheless. They clearly can make some fine sounding drivers.

I heard somewhere that their aluminum driver replacement
diaphrams for JBL sound better than the originals!

Jan,

Well, that's another endorsement of the Radian drivers, and BagEnd has a good reputation. What size driver is used in the models that you show?

Ithink I'll try to track down a BagEnd website!

Mark

Hello there Variac. Thanks for the info.

I e-mailed ampslab about their speakers - this is where I saw the Radians. But that project has been discontinued according to Michael Chua of ampslab. So I mailed Radian. This was the reply:
...5215B is $351.04 each and the 5312 is $300.82 each. Recommended Crossover for the 5215B is our 324/15 $75.30 each. Recommended Crossover for the 5312 is our 324/12 $75.30 each. At this time I do not have the answer to your question regarding box volumes/dimensions/vent configuration.
And therein lies the dilemma... Do you think these drivers are good candidates for large domestic application? What thoughts do you have regarding boxes - large sealed or medium vented? Any crossover ideas?

DrG said:

I e-mailed ampslab about their speakers - this is where I saw the Radians. But that project has been discontinued according to Michael Chua of ampslab. So I mailed Radian. This was the reply:
And therein lies the dilemma... Do you think these drivers are good candidates for large domestic application? What thoughts do you have regarding boxes - large sealed or medium vented? Any crossover ideas?

I work for a company that is a dealer for Radian. You can buy those drivers for less money- they quoted you list prices. As to crossovers, For the money they are asking for finished procducts, you can buy software (or use shareware) and roll your own crossovers. Much more fun this way. TS parameters can be measured too with free software- try the demo of Praxis.

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
DrG,

Did you check out the Enjoy the Music link and find the review of the Galante speakers? IMHO they seem to say that these are great speakers with great drivers. I think all the co ax's use the same high freq driver. They are comparing them to the Avant Garde speakers which cost 10k I believe and very highly regarded. The Galantes are 3k I believe.

The 8" steel framed ceiling drivers are the closest to the review models. and might work with the old Ampslab crossover. We really need to get our hands on the T-S specs of all 3 co ax plus the old driver I think.

Thunau- don't the Radian guys have these published somewhere?

The box and port are pretty easy to figure out:
Galante gives the size of their 12" driver boxes.And/or it's really a lot of fun to play around with box design software such as the free winISD and others. Don't be intimidated by them.

The tricky part is the crossover. It is easy to design one, and hard to make an optimal one.

The price on the radian crossovers could be reasonable, but it really depends on how good the design and components are. If it is designed specifically for each coax driver and uses big open core inductors, and poly caps and no lightbulb compression circuit for the tweeter, then it's reasonable. I would think that the schematic might also be available for them somewhere.....

If you can get the drivers cheaper as Thunau suggests, they sound like a bargain. Now shipping is what usually ruins if for those of you so far away....

Checked out the links. Impressive. Thanks. They look like competent performers. Radian has some pdf's I'm working through.

I have visions of tall, imposing wooden monoliths with 15" Radians mounted at ear level. It's been a LONG time since I built speakers... vented enclosure, Seas drivers, 4th order L-R filter... aaahh those were the days...

Thanks for all the information and links everyone. Much appreciated.

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I appreciate you reminding me of the Radians.
It occurs to me that the 8" model could actually be the best sounding of the lot, because the smaller cone might handle the midrange better. At least there is still the steel frame version.
This might also be a smaller financial risk.The Galante version has an accordian cloth surround, so it appears to be very similar to the current 8".

We need some data from Radian to know how well the 15" handles midrange! Please post any info and links to Pdf's that you discover. I hope thunau does the same.

How about this for a speaker: Make something using the 8", like the Rhapsody or a small open baffle
(beginning to be like a Basszilla!!)
then if you decide the 8" is great, set it on top of a huge bass cabinet with an 18" pro driver. Very impressive!! And certainly will
handle your party needs as well as hi fi listening!!

EDIT: Opps, just found the Pdf's on the site. Even the 15" looks
mighty good. Now DrG, find a box modeling program and use it!!
I don't think the box design will affect the higher frequencies.
A good strategy might be to get factory crossovers,
then make an "audiophile" version with the same values and higher quality components if the speakers seem to deserve it.

Pretty decent, flat responses from both 15" and 12" with Radian's own crossovers. I am sorely tempted. Prices are a bit hairy though... But then at the rate I build speakers, they should last 10 years. I could consider the project an investment of sorts.

Have you guys heard the new single by 3 Doors Down? They played it at the WMA's the other night. Downloaded the mp3 and the chords. Man, I haven't had this much fun hammering out a song since I learned to play "Jolene"...

DrG said:

5215B is $351.04 each and the 5312 is $300.82 each. Recommended Crossover for the 5215B is our 324/15 $75.30 each. Recommended Crossover for the 5312 is our 324/12 $75.30 each. At this time I do not have the answer to your question regarding box volumes/dimensions/vent configuration.

If you can get the 5312 for $300.82 go for it. They must be blowing them out or just don't have dealers to protect in South Africa, because my dealer price list shows them higher than that.
That one has the 2" compression driver, which you can cross over at 1.2k or so resulting in smooth power response and nice midrange from the 12".
Good luck with them if you decide to go that route.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.