Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th February 2013, 06:54 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Vandersteen 2Ci crossover repair

Hi there,
I am new to this forum and need some help in fixing the crossovers on my Vandy 2Ci speakers. They were fried by a surge from an amp before I got them. Got them cheap.
I have remover the back plate and the woofer to expose the crossover and can see a few burnt resistors. My concern is the 'mylar looking tape' that covers the leads on the back of the board. How do I remove it? Are the leads soldered to the back of the board. I think that, if I can remove it, I can do all the work with the Xover in place.
Thanks for any help,
Joe
Old 20th February 2013, 07:02 PM   #2
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

A picture would help. Plastic tape should be easy to cut/remove.

I would advise maybe taking pictures for your own reference too... in case you end up with a few wires and not sure where they live.
Old 20th February 2013, 07:41 PM   #3
Badge is offline Badge  United States
diyAudio Member

You also should take a multi meter and check if the voice coil on each speaker is OK. Set to OHMs and you should see a RE value between 4-8 ohms. no reading means they are damaged.
Old 20th February 2013, 08:17 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

back.jpg
Here is a photo.
Old 20th February 2013, 08:45 PM   #5
DavidL is offline DavidL  United States
diyAudio Member

Looks like that "tape" is being used to route electrical signals through out the crossover. Your best bet is to remove the crossover so you can comfortably work on it on your table.

EDIT: It's just the traces on the back of the circuit board, DON'T remove any of that.

Last edited by DavidL; 20th February 2013 at 08:58 PM.
Old 21st February 2013, 06:19 AM   #6
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

Looks like hot melt glue securing the PCB so it should break free pretty easily. It all needs cleaning up and washing.
Old 25th February 2013, 09:07 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I have the schematic for the bass; but, does anyone have a schematic for the tweeter and midrange crossover. I will remove more of the components today. I plan to replace some of the foil strips with wire where ever I am needing to work.
Thanks,
Joemusic
Old 26th February 2013, 11:13 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I have removed the burnt resistors from both speakers. I found that some were still readable with my meter. They are in bunches. From the bunch of three resistors, some where dead; but, I was able to read 7.9 Ohms, 8.1 Ohms, 5.9 Ohms and 6.5 Ohms. There is also a pair that 4.8 Mohms and 5.5 Mohms. In one previous thread where they replaced the resistors in a 2CE , later model, they used 10 Ohm resistors. From the physical size they appear to be 1Watt .
Old 27th February 2013, 12:51 AM   #9
gootee is offline gootee  United States
diyAudio Member

Why not just contact Vandersteen? I left a message on their customer service thing, a couple of years ago, and Richard Vandersteen himself called me, about 30 minutes later. He was very helpful. I can't quite remember now if I telephoned and left a message or if it was a place to enter a text message on their website. Whatever it was is on their website, maybe in the technical support section.
Old 27th February 2013, 07:02 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

I contacted Vandersteen and spoke to Richard. He was curt and not at all helpful. He wants the speakers returned to them for service, no exceptions. So, that is why I am pursuing this path. The crossover is very visible inside the case. It is a tight fit; but, I have been able to remove all the burnt resistors. I tested them and found that some were gone; but, a few were still readable. So I am going to use those values to order new ones. I biggest challenge is that they have used some sort of conductive foil tape as the traces and some really high melt-point solder to attach them. I plan to use wire, where I can, to make the circuits. I am hoping that a few members of this site are familiar with rebuilding crossover and can point me in the right direction.
Joemusic

Hide this!Advertise here!