Ultimate Line Source Dipole Speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm looking at building "The Ultimate" Line Source Dipole speaker.

I was looking around for a DIY dipole line source project, and I was hoping to find something similar on the forum. So far, the only project that comes close to what I have in mind is the Alpha LS, which has at least two problems IMHO:
a) I don't particularly like the NEO8 drivers, they have too much of a roll off - I'm 45, my high-frequency hearing is going down anyway, there's no need to enhance my problems ;)
b) They're not dipoles!

In addition to that, I don't know the mid-woofers that are used, it seems to me they are kinda cheap...

My current thought process is to use a B&G RD50 (or even an RD75) for midrange (say 800-10KHz) supplemented by a LS of ribbon supertweeters like the NEO3PDR or equivalents (in a dipole configuration).

I'm stuck with the choice of a driver for the woofer LS : suggestions?
They would play a critical role, because a lot of the fundamentals would be reproduced by them (100-800 Hz). At the same time, since I'm looking at anywhere from 12 to 18 drivers (depending on size), I don't want to put a mortgage on the house!

Would there be a mid-woofer/ribbon tweeter combination that would allow me to get by with only 2 ways on the main speaker (I'm planning on using a dipole subwoofer as well).

What do you think about my thoughts? Suggestions, anybody?

I have currently utilize the Neo 8's in a diople configuration and it works very well. I use 4 of the Neo 8's per side on a 10" inch baffle crossed over with a BSS Mini Drive at 750 hz to 2 Seas 8" Excel woofers. There is no problem with the high frequency response of these drivers in this configuration. In fact they sound more detailed and extended than either the SS 9300 or 9500 dome tweeters.

I have also utilized the RD50 in a monopole configuration (Dipole is my next project for these) crossed over to the ACI DV12 woofer crossed over at 275hz. This is an excellent sounding system only limited by the source equipment that you couple it with. Some cross this over higher 500 - 800 range, if you do so I would recommend looking at the Lamada Acoustics 12 or 15 inch woofers which are excellent up to about 1000hz.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.