baffle step compensation methods - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th February 2013, 01:22 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMcK View Post
line level: Baffle Step Compensation

best method is to simply oversize the woofer inductor in a passive xover
IMO, Rod Elliott's line level BSC is the better of the two. The reason I say that is that I use his line level BSC circuit on my speakers, and found a middle level of compensation to be best. Easily being able to adjust the amount of compensation is a real advantage. Rod I believe claims that the amount of electrical compensation that will be correct depends in part on the listening room. Anyway, don't diy-types generally like making an adjustment that suits what they subjectively think is correct?

-Pete
Old 20th February 2013, 01:39 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

I agree with Pete. I found you could really "dial in" just the right amount of baffle step. It's really beneficial to be able to fine tune this important area. I'm trying to figure out how to do this in a balanced system now since I am reconfiguring my setup.
Old 20th February 2013, 02:34 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

placing the speaker aginst the wall helps...................

or use a wide baffle (2' or more, I don't use baffle step).

And it costs nothing.

You could use a 10 band equalizer to add some lift.

I'm a fan of a baffle step woofer (with an inductor on it only), but that raises the price, and can be tricky to dial in.
Even then, place it elsewhere and you are back to tweaking.
Old 12th November 2013, 09:20 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMcK View Post
line level: Baffle Step Compensation

best method is to simply oversize the woofer inductor in a passive xover

bumping this

Intrigued - so if a 2nd order x/o it is literally just a case of a higher value inductor?
Old 13th November 2013, 07:44 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Should the BSC boost revert back to the lower level at some lower frequency where the speaker is back into 2pi space, when the rear wall reflection cuts in and even pi space when the floor gets involved? I find many 2.5 way speakers, that use the second bass driver as the BSC boost, are too boomy
Old 13th November 2013, 10:36 AM   #16
Juhazi is offline Juhazi  Finland
diyAudio Member

"Zaph" Krutke tells how he manages baffle step issues. The placement of the speaker must be considered. Some commercial speakers have switches to change these parameters of crossover. Zaph gives different versions of his crossovers, with different BS compensation.
---
Most of my designs use baffle step compensation unless otherwise noted. Sometimes this will be a traditional coil and resistor combo on the woofer, or other times it will be integrated into the rest of the woofer circuit with an oversize inductor doing double duty as the first component in a multi-element filter. I think the use of baffle step is really unrealized in many designs. It's not just there to flatten the anechoic response, it's there to add "warmth" and a relaxing tonal balance in a typical room. The frequencies affecting baffle step and room boundary reinforcement are different, but they do overlap and both have to be considered.

The selection of BSC is more than just the baffle size and the boundary reinforcement. It's also affected by non-linear distortion such as harmonic or intermodulation. A bass driver with a clean low end but a "dirty" high end will do better with more BSC than a driver that has high midbass distortion but a clean top end. All issues that affect the tonal balance have to be considered when setting the BSC, and I typically use both measurements and the judgement of my ears for this. "
AES Associate Member / My DIY speaker history: -74 Philips 3-way, -82 Hifi 85B, -07 Zaph L18, XLS10+PR/Hypex, -08 CSS125FR, -08 Hifitalo AW-7, -08 TangBand FR, -09 MarkK ER18DXT, -13 PPSL470, -13 AINOgradient

Last edited by Juhazi; 13th November 2013 at 10:39 AM.
Old 13th November 2013, 10:45 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsrsb View Post
Should the BSC boost revert back to the lower level at some lower frequency where the speaker is back into 2pi space, when the rear wall reflection cuts in and even pi space when the floor gets involved? I find many 2.5 way speakers, that use the second bass driver as the BSC boost, are too boomy
Almost every 2,5 speaker has too hot bass! they complely forget the room effect int their designs. But there are millions of people that like that kind of bass! Here is a very good example of a very very well designed speaker, I am sure that bass boost is not an accident! When you see 2-4 bass drivers, you must hear lots of bass!

Click the image to open in full size.
AES Associate Member / My DIY speaker history: -74 Philips 3-way, -82 Hifi 85B, -07 Zaph L18, XLS10+PR/Hypex, -08 CSS125FR, -08 Hifitalo AW-7, -08 TangBand FR, -09 MarkK ER18DXT, -13 PPSL470, -13 AINOgradient
Old 13th November 2013, 11:31 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Thanks for posting this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juhazi View Post
other times it will be integrated into the rest of the woofer circuit with an oversize inductor doing double duty as the first component in a multi-element filter.
wd this approach work with a simple 2nd order ?
Old 13th November 2013, 11:58 AM   #19
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juhazi View Post
Almost every 2,5 speaker has too hot bass! they complely forget the room effect int their designs. But there are millions of people that like that kind of bass! Here is a very good example of a very very well designed speaker, I am sure that bass boost is not an accident! When you see 2-4 bass drivers, you must hear lots of bass!
A bass boost has been found to be the preferred in-room response in a study by Olive et al: Audio Engineering Society Convention Paper 8994
Old 13th November 2013, 12:57 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill poster View Post
Thanks for posting this
wd this approach work with a simple 2nd order ?
Yes, there are many xos doing this. Study Zaph's projects and also Troels. It is not possible in every case - baffle width, driver roll-off, peaks, tweeter choice etc. must match. It sort of comes naturally with 3-ways. I don't have ANY skill to desing a passive xo, I don't have time and patience to start learning it.

Hide this!Advertise here!