Seas MU10RB-SL or Scanspeak 10F/4424G?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Where these 4" drivers will fail as a "tweeter" are distortion and stored energy. Just like any other full range of similar size.

Scan-Speak-10F-4424G00-HD.gif

Looks pretty good to 400hz?

Plenty of tweeters look worse higher up

Seas 27 TDFC
Seas_27TDFC-HD.gif

Where these 4" drivers will fail as a "tweeter" are distortion and stored energy. Just like any other full range of similar size.

Scan-Speak-10F-4424G00-HD.gif

That looks more like a pass than a fail to me. ;) Perhaps "average" at 1 watt over a normal tweeter's passband (..neither good or bad).

The stored energy (seen in the CSD) is *better* than average:

http://www.zaphaudio.com/temp/Scan-Speak-10F-4424G00-CSD.gif

An important item that *isn't* shown is its linear and non-linear operation at higher power inputs vs. that of typical tweeter. Of course the crossover implementation will factor-in heavily for the tweeter under such a comparison. (..btw, this is also very important when comparing these small "mid" drivers to one another. Most are not as sensitive as the 10f, often by as much as 6db.)

Another interesting item with measurements is freq. response with respect to distance. These mid drivers are not terribly linear at closer range - and this does seem to factor-in with respect to the pressure gradient and apparent image localization/stability.

Last edited:
I never intended to run the upper midrange past 6K as I would be crossing over to a tweeter of some description.

One thing I wanted to know is would the Fostex FE103en be a good substitute for the SS-10F as I have a pair lying around and would rather utilize them than have to buy ANONTHER pair of drivers. :eek:

If I were to build a Nao Note II RS would substituing drivers be a problem, as I also intend on using my Seas L22RNX/P 8" drivers for the lower midrange.

I never intended to run the upper midrange past 6K as I would be crossing over to a tweeter of some description.

One thing I wanted to know is would the Fostex FE103en be a good substitute for the SS-10F as I have a pair lying around and would rather utilize them than have to buy ANONTHER pair of drivers. :eek:

If I were to build a Nao Note II RS would substituing drivers be a problem, as I also intend on using my Seas L22RNX/P 8" drivers for the lower midrange.

The FE103en might actually sound better (or may not), but it certainly won't measure anywhere near as linear (..on an infinite baffle).

Still, provided you have an acceptable crossover for it (within an overall design parameter) - sure, it's a viable substitute. Note that Xmax in particular is extremely limited, requiring a design that will accommodate that restriction. A high-pass at 1 kHz certainly has a better chance of working - but it's something you should still model.

Last edited:
The full range drivers like the Foxtex allow serious breakup modes to "fill in" the highs where a big heavy cone like the 103 can't move by itself. It is the best behaved of the line. If you want a midrange, buy a midrange. I may be trying to get the Fountek FE89's to behave to 5K, but my fall back is to upgrade my FE85's on my desktop so the risk is small.

This is just physics. A 3 inch midrange cone is not a tweeter any more than a 6 inch is a sub-woofer no matter how hard people want them to be. Nature does not suffer fools. Some people have a inner need to prove this to themselves time and time again. I am too old for that and too cheap. I take advice easier that I did 40 years ago. Model. Prototype.

Nothing wrong at all with the SS as a mid- tweeter. You guys need to get over your dispersion obsession.

And a wee bit of elevated 2nd order distortion is not even worth talking about, considering you won't hear it. Seriously, life is too short for this academic nit-pickery

Oh, and beware of "reviewers“ with vested interest.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.