Design: Horn High Sensitivity Speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Charley when you make up your design goals, then it will become automatically clear witch options will be Left.

100dB 1Wmtr
40Hz-20000Hz
1-2-3-4way?
max dimensions, height, with, deepness?
max power 10W?
steepness filter first,second or fourth order filter.
Maximum cost?

Yep, my fault.

>=100db (initially will keep Omega Pro18 Open baffle, so we can define a better woofer but wont be used yet...)
2 ways (and will add a jbl2405 later if needed).

Dimmension arround 150cm tall, 50cm deep, 50cm width. Deep is hard to change. but a nice looking horn that is a bit bigger would be ok.

Power available for mid-highs 0.7W or 2W
Power available for woofer 10W or 20W

Maximun cost: let's say a 1000 USD... but as you see, I am thinking on a progressive build so we could focus on mid-highs horn.

Best,

Basreflex Eminence kappapro 15A 160,-

99-100dB 1wmtr

Eminence Kappa Pro-15A 15" Cast Frame Driver 290-422
Speaker Detail | Eminence Speaker

Here simulation compared to the 18sound 15mb606 about exact the same drivers for what data is concerned. The eminence will have a better price performance.

So how about this woofer Charley 140liter =120liter with stuffing. Box inside about 40cm X 45cm X 70cm.
$160,- piece. 40Hz -3dB!

$340,- left for horn and HF driver.

There are not to many real 100dB woofers most have a 100db peak at 1kHz and are sold as 100dB woofers.

Note: rear-port gain ads to the direct radiating cone response.

Attachments

• Schermafbeelding 2013-02-22 om 18.01.30.png
    Schermafbeelding 2013-02-22 om 18.01.30.png
    34.1 KB · Views: 425
  • Schermafbeelding 2013-02-22 om 18.04.32.png
    Schermafbeelding 2013-02-22 om 18.04.32.png
    38.5 KB · Views: 421
Last edited:
Yep, my fault.
Maximun cost: let's say a 1000 USD... but as you see, I am thinking on a progressive build so we could focus on mid-highs horn.
Best,

I am sorry Helmuth, I believe part is my fault, for not writing my ideas more clearly.
Let's focus on the mids with a Max. budget of 1000 usd for "drivers".
Since I am willing to build the horns if necesary. I think I can build an Iwata horn or a Tad wooden horn with my tools and skills.
So we should look for something that works from 400hz? to >15khz

I emailed Autotech, in Poland, their shipping company only can send their horns to Chile to a bussines (not to an individual person). Probably I could get a friend's bussiness to do so, but because of big size and shipping costs, I am feeling more tempted about building an Wooden Iwata like the TADs.

What about trying a 1.4'' coaxial compression driver like the BMS on a horn mated to a good 15'' or two? Super high sens for sure :)

Like Dave advised I think BMS is the best way to go low with a HF driver BMS allows very low crossing of thier drivers.

It are coaxial horn drivers with crossover.
Compression Drivers

Look here see this coaxial 1,4" driver. 300-22000Hz
Curves

The mids need to be modeled as offset drivers, your schematic isn't showing that.......
Yes I know I did not know how, due your commend I know. "OD":D

Response 4pi

Attachments

• Schermafbeelding 2013-02-24 om 09.45.51.png
    Schermafbeelding 2013-02-24 om 09.45.51.png
    23.3 KB · Views: 387
  • Schermafbeelding 2013-02-24 om 09.44.55.png
    Schermafbeelding 2013-02-24 om 09.44.55.png
    22.5 KB · Views: 373
  • Schermafbeelding 2013-02-24 om 09.44.35.png
    Schermafbeelding 2013-02-24 om 09.44.35.png
    23.4 KB · Views: 379
Last edited:
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
The hole Redspade explanation of the synergy horn....

those Redspade links are quite interesting :)

about the special BMS coax compression drivers
do I see a tendency that the two coax drivers have difficulty 'reaching' each other
seems a weird ?
but knowing that most small tweeter horns are no good below 7khz, and using big mid that goes down to 300hz, maybe not a big surprice

Could a simpler way to some great high sens creation be to just mount one BMS compression coax on a suitable horn per side, add two sq regarded 15"s per side, dial it all in actively and enjoy?.. The power amp he is using is very low watt so you could cross low, and this would be a super high sens system, with less guesswork and complication of the Synergy.. By the way I posted the idea of using the BMS coax earlier after looking at Danleys Jericho Horns. The J1 94 (JH 90), pretty awesome!

Last edited:
Could a simpler way to some great high sens creation be to just mount one BMS compression coax on a suitable horn per side, add two sq regarded 15"s per side, dial it all in actively and enjoy?.. The power amp he is using is very low watt so you could cross low, and this would be a super high sens system, with less guesswork and complication of the Synergy.. By the way I posted the idea of using the BMS coax earlier after looking at Danleys Jericho Horns. The J1 94 (JH 90), pretty awesome!

The coax only looks good down to 4-500, whereas a Synergy is good to 2-300 depending on the size of the horn. Directivity I think would be better in the hf on the Synergy as well.

That........and those coax drivers ain't cheap! You could do 2 Synergy horns (drivers and material) for the price of one coax or less.......

The coax only looks good down to 4-500, whereas a Synergy is good to 2-300 depending on the size of the horn. Directivity I think would be better in the hf on the Synergy as well.

That........and those coax drivers ain't cheap! You could do 2 Synergy horns (drivers and material) for the price of one coax or less.......

Hello Nate, it is my impression that the curves for the BMS coax are measured on a 700hz horn. I use the BMS on larger horns, and have no problems down to 300hz.

Hello Helmuth,
Why would you recommend this Tractrix over the Iwata?

Regards, Jack

I like the symmetry of a round horn, and it is much smaller then a itawa with same cutoff.

Tractrix makes the smallest horn if you look at lowest cut off. With a 2" driver is this horn only 10" long. Metal mounting ring.

With this horn driver when you have the money better then coax so smooth.
http://www.eighteensound.com/index.aspx?mainMenu=view_product_simple&pid=252

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.