Design: Horn High Sensitivity Speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I personally like the brightness of a metallic dome. IMO harness comes bad from wiring poor capacitors and wire wound resistors in the cross over.

Again do not judge to early when you not did enough crossover work. Try other capacitors metal oxide resistors and try copper wire in different gauge or tinned copper. And silver plated copper and carbon or carbon copper wire.

I had a huge tuning difference with the bi-wire set by testing different loudspeaker wires.

Hi Helmuth, I think Mr. Crites makes some pretty good xovers with Sonicaps... Or at least in my research, I have not come across anyone complaining about them.

My comment is based on the 1" Selenium D220Ti, which sounds harsh to my ears and measures higher distortion than the CP27 driver that I just put in my system and changed nothing else.

Attached are two distortion measurements with the only change being the 1" compression drivers. As mentioned, they xover at 5 kHz. There is a big rise in distortion at 6 kHz on the D220Ti compared to the CP27. It is quite audible.

Maybe I got a bad batch of 220Ti, or this is the way they are, I don't know...

I am looking forward to installing the BMS 4540ND to see what they sound like and measure.

Cheers!

Attachments

• d220ti distortion.jpg
    d220ti distortion.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 500
  • cp27 distortion.jpg
    cp27 distortion.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 479
Hi Helmuth, I think Mr. Crites makes some pretty good xovers with Sonicaps... Or at least in my research, I have not come across anyone complaining about them.

My comment is based on the 1" Selenium D220Ti, which sounds harsh to my ears and measures higher distortion than the CP27 driver that I just put in my system and changed nothing else.

Attached are two distortion measurements with the only change being the 1" compression drivers. As mentioned, they xover at 5 kHz. There is a big rise in distortion at 6 kHz on the D220Ti compared to the CP27. It is quite audible.
When they distort the cause is clear
Maybe I got a bad batch of 220Ti, or this is the way they are, I don't know...

I am looking forward to installing the BMS 4540ND to see what they sound like and measure.

Cheers!
I own a pair of bms 4540. They are good but in the long run I did not like them enough a bit to thin.

A popular 1" is the RCF cd350 polyester.
RCF - CD350

I had the chance to test the DE25 very nice clear sound on janzen superior-Z.

Last edited:
I was reading more about the Cornscala design.
Have a fun club, people says have good bass performance of Klipch Cornwall, and good mid high qualities of La Scala.
It's a >100db design. My amplifier has 0.7W with 71A and 1.5W with 45 so sensitibity is very needed.

To be honest, it's a bulky design, is harder to make it look nicer.
I am thinking about starting my own project (not an identical copy) based on the general aproach of the Cornscala.

1. Use my Eminence Omega 18A Pro in a Bass reflex config. front vented.
2. Put the horns outside the enclosure, probably this reduces coupling, but in really I think it will look better and can make it modular, so will be easier to change components.
3. I will look for the tweeter later, It could be the 2405.
4. So the Job now is to define what wooden horn and what compression driver should I use.

Note1: Eminence Omega 18A pro, doesnt have 100db. And my understanding is that a BR only will give more bass extension. At the moment I will think on attenuating more the highs, until I get a better bass. But I still would like to think in options for the bass, to start planning ahead.

Note2: I have a pair of 41hz SS 20W and 100W amplifier, another option would be use that for the woofer. I m just afraid of loosing phase integrity when using two amplifiers.

Please let me know any concerns about this thinking.
Best,
Charly

Last edited:
acitve low is a good thing mid high is better passive imo.

Attachments

• Schermafbeelding 2013-02-21 om 19.35.58.png
    Schermafbeelding 2013-02-21 om 19.35.58.png
    28.2 KB · Views: 449
  • Schermafbeelding 2013-02-21 om 19.37.38.png
    Schermafbeelding 2013-02-21 om 19.37.38.png
    29.7 KB · Views: 435
  • Schermafbeelding 2013-02-21 om 19.42.23.png
    Schermafbeelding 2013-02-21 om 19.42.23.png
    41.9 KB · Views: 428
  • Schermafbeelding 2013-02-21 om 19.41.47.png
    Schermafbeelding 2013-02-21 om 19.41.47.png
    34.2 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
I would like to
but sorry, I have to say... if I could tell you like this it wouldnt be difficult

your eminence woofer/sub thing sounds ok, it will be fine, build that, no problem

and then you could try any 2way
maybe eminence Beta8 with a smaller tweeter

can that sound better than horns?
remember everything started with the idea of having CDs and Horns.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
that monster horn looks like a real 'shouter' :D

I recommend flat/shallow waveguide
much less complicated

your worst problem with a big midrange horn might be smooth transistion to the tweeter horn
you need something that matches in size and shape, and should look like they belong together

Attachments

• Schermafbeelding 2013-02-21 om 21.13.07.png
    Schermafbeelding 2013-02-21 om 21.13.07.png
    161.7 KB · Views: 876
  • Schermafbeelding 2013-02-21 om 21.15.15.png
    Schermafbeelding 2013-02-21 om 21.15.15.png
    192.3 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Yep, I know I am difficult and going around circles, but I am really biased towards a Bin Bass (Bass reflex for instance) and a Horn that can do all the work.
Helmuth proposed that at the start of the tread, but then I started arguying about highs dispersion. and we started adding more drivers.
When I talked about JBL 2405, to improve dispersion, we start talking about combing filtering.

I like the original 2 way proposal. And if I want to add a tweeter later, seems like combing filtering shouldnt be an issue at arround 10khz.

For me, adding a paralel tweeter with a cap, doesn't look like adding another way to the XO....

The other important thing to remember is that I need speakers for a 71A tube amplifier, that is 0.7W rms.
So I need >100db of sensitivity.

I think I can start experimenting with my current OB bass bin (Omega18) and change that later.
I will use my DAC and a small SS to power the bass.
That will give 0.7W for Mid and Bass.

So I should be basicallly looking just for a good Mid/High Horn that can matches a 15inch/18inch driver.
And also, a nice waveguide for this.

Last edited:
Charley when you make up your design goals, then it will become automatically clear witch options will be Left.

100dB 1Wmtr
40Hz-20000Hz
1-2-3-4way?
max dimensions, height, with, deepness?
max power 10W?
steepness filter first,second or fourth order filter.
Maximum cost?

Point to concider:
Waveguide compared to horn is short and wide that will cause less coloration with about same efficiency.
The short wave guide will better match a super tweeter less time delay closer ctc.

A front-loaded bas horn like la scala will make 100-106dB 1wmtr possible and even 110dB in a corner that even with your current omega 18 that does surprisingly well in the simulation. Will make it hard to go 2 way it will become a 3 Way.

A high efficiency mid cone driver is very robust when crossed low. And cost much less then a horn high-frequent driver combination . And it is also much more compact. So you can buy a better 1" HF driver and capacitors.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.