Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd March 2013, 12:10 PM   #181
Elias is offline Elias  Finland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmuth View Post
PHL drivers.
Thanks Helmuth !

E25 3020 may be closest what I need, but it has massive resonance just above 2kHz
Old 2nd March 2013, 12:35 PM   #182
Helmuth is offline Helmuth  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elias View Post
Thanks Helmuth !

E25 3020 may be closest what I need, but it has massive resonance just above 2kHz
With a steep filter at 2kHz it wont hurt, it is only about +6dB and in the waterfall it doesn't appear to be a very bad resonance.
Old 2nd March 2013, 12:54 PM   #183
Elias is offline Elias  Finland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmuth View Post
With a steep filter at 2kHz it wont hurt

And I was targeting at 1st order filter Anyway PHL drivers looks fine for a purpose.
Old 2nd March 2013, 12:57 PM   #184
Helmuth is offline Helmuth  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
And I was targeting at 1st order filter Anyway PHL drivers looks fine for a purpose.
With 4th order you have inphase transition and so not the combfiltering as with first oder. You also filter the higher harmonics away.
Old 2nd March 2013, 02:21 PM   #185
diyAudio Member

Helmuth,
Not only is it easier to have the phase correct at crossover with a 4th order network but the time alignment problems are also reduced greatly over a first order filter and two devices on a flat baffle, an often overlooked factor due to the physical depth of the two devices being very different.
Old 2nd March 2013, 03:34 PM   #186
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Looks like very well behaving driver above 1kHz...........if the spec is to trust
no, ofcourse not directly
but comparing drivers within the same company does give some idea about any tendency and differences
comparing curves from two different companies is probably more or less pointless
Old 2nd March 2013, 03:41 PM   #187
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator

6db filters doesnt really work properly without a zobel
but then it probably becomes closer to 12db than 6db (maybe just 8 or 10db)
Old 22nd May 2013, 06:55 PM   #188
diyAudio Member

Hi Guys,

Thanks again for all your opinions.
I have a quick update that will narrow things a lot:

1) I have at home my 45 SET amplifier. Power is 1.5 Watts, it sounds nice with 94db speakers, but I know it could do much better...

2) A friend, gave me a pair of JBL 2360A birradial horns (mouth = 80cm x 80cm).

3) I have been researching a compresion driver for this horns... I think the BMS 4591 is a good option.
http://bmsspeakers.com/fileadmin/bms...591_t.data.pdf

Goal is to have an excelent sounding >100db speaker. Thinking in a super tweeter to improve directivity, and using the Omega Pro 18A up to 300-500hz, with a solid state amplifier until I get a better woofer.

Questions:
1) BMS 4591 is a 300hz-9khz driver. Any advantage in using something like the BMS 4590 that is a coaxial driver that reaches 20khz but need a crossover.
I am thinking 4591 with a supertweeter jbl2405 should be much better because of improved directivity.

Thanks...
Old 22nd May 2013, 07:45 PM   #189
diyAudio Member

Charly,
One comment that I will make about using a super tweeter is that you need to look at the minimum distance from the center of the 80cm horn lens to your super tweeter that has to be a little more than half the 80cm and that makes the center to center distance a minimum of 40cm. So no matter the design of the crossover you use you still have that distance between the on axis responses of the two devices and I have never seen anything like that where I could not hear that separation of the two sources over that distance. So I would much rather have a single device that can cover the range even if it is not perfect than use the two devices together. This may be a personal preference but I bet I get a lot of agreement on this. In the lower octaves it is not as much of an issue, but when you start dividing the frequencies in the upper range it does become a much greater issue.
Old 22nd May 2013, 08:07 PM   #190
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Hmmm..... maybe that's way I have such a hard time getting a horn + supertweeter combo that sounds right to me. It's not easy.

Hide this!Advertise here!