Optimum crossover frequency?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Ah I'm glad I wasn't the only one thinking the above (ie if it is implemented properly it shouldn't matter) :) Thanks PeteMcK... I guess I didn't have the confidence to say it :)

Of course some thought does still need to be put into the driver selection if you want to be able to actually achieve this, so you are thinking along the correct lines markusA but, I think you should be less focused on some theoretical best point, and more look at a range of possible points(for the particular design goals), and once the drivers have been chosen look at what works best for those drivers.

Choosing a crossover point based on what's best for the drivers chosen and implementing it very well, I would think will be more likely to sound better than choosing a crossover point based on some arbitrary design goals that may not in reality result in an ideal crossover with the chosen drivers. Unfortunately until you actually have the drivers and have taken measurements on your actual baffle you won't be able to tell.

Tony.

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I think that in reality moondog, that there is an element of that any time a new pairing of drivers is tried ;) Obviously as ones experience grows it should be possible to get a better aim but I suspect that there will always be some drivers that will inherently be a better match than others, and finding them will be part of the art.

Tony.

I use compression drivers instead of dome tweeters. This to me is the biggest difference in the discussion. CDs have higher sensitivity (when coupled with the right horn), higher power handling, and will go lower in frequency. (generally speaking)

So in a the two ways that I consider, it is a 700-2khz crossover point for two ways.

re: "Isn't exactly the opposite what you should be doing since the crossover points are mostly determined by the limitations of the chosen drivers? " -:up: if the crossover is implemented properly, it doesn't matter where the xover freq is, anything else is mere shadow chasing

Yes, if and only if the driver can play that low / high. Say for example you have a two-way with an 6.5 inch driver and a dome tweeter and you aim for the standard wide dispersion design. In that case you need to cross at ~ 1600-2400 since the 6.5 inch drivers dispersion drops at this point.

The idea that the crossover points is independent from the drivers would be true, however, if we had ideal drivers with good dispersion over the whole frequency range but then why not use that driver full range and skip the crossover? ;)

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
if it is implemented properly it shouldn't matter
There is arguably a degree of truth to this. An exception would be where the system design dictates a certain crossover point, eg: where it is based on a frequency dependent acoustic behaviour of the drivers.

"Properly implemented" ... you won't be able to tell where it is exactly.
Much can be found in the polars.

re: "Isn't exactly the opposite what you should be doing since the crossover points are mostly determined by the limitations of the chosen drivers? " -:up: if the crossover is implemented properly, it doesn't matter where the xover freq is, anything else is mere shadow chasing

Well, there is a large camp that suggests the crossovers in the critical audible range of voice, 2K to 4K, is not as pleasant sounding as if the crossovers, provided drivers within their limitations, out of that range would be. I have built speakers with crossovers right smack in the middle and they are very good. Would they be better with a midrange? Only another build will tell.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.