Polars Plots for Altec Multicells? - Page 5 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th February 2013, 04:17 PM   #41
diyAudio Member

Cal,
I grew up with those A7's and also moving A2's around for PA work. I still have a pair of Barcelona's in the house, a home style system based on the 511 horn, symbiotic diaphragm and an air suspension 15". They still work and sound as good as that type of system will sound. Lot's of low bass and the typical Altec radial horn output. I have thought about changing them but don't want to loose their historical value, their cabinets are in perfect condition and nothing has been changed. I have thought about adding a mid range driver but I would ruin the originality of them if I did that. I always preferred them over the JBL cabinets of the time with the terrible diffraction lenses they used at the time. The Altec top end was much better than the JBL.
Old 16th February 2013, 04:33 PM   #42
steve71 is offline steve71  Australia
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the reply guys, I will address them individually tomorrow - got a busy day today.

There was mention on room size and listening distance and subs. Here are a few more detail that I should have posted from the start.

Quote:
I'm in the early stages of building a new home theater / listening room in an out building on my property. The building is already in place (28x38x10.5ft).

I want to build a set of 6/7 speakers. They will be three way actives. Above 300-500hz I have covered with Altec horns (multi cells and matrarays) with 288 drivers & Gauss HF horns above 5Khz. Below 50hz will be covered by four of Ricci's GJALLARHORN tapped horns.
Old 16th February 2013, 04:39 PM   #43
diyAudio Member

Stupid question from the back of the class:

With most compression drivers struggling to get below 300Hz, why not use a more conventional cone-type driver? Something like this, perhaps:
RS75T-8 - Dayton 3 inch reference fullrange driver - Europe Audio

With the SPL boost the horn loading ought to provide, I can see that becoming a rather capable mid-tweeter.

Thoughts?

Chris
Old 16th February 2013, 04:48 PM   #44
diyAudio Member

Chris,
I think that a 3" speaker just wouldn't have the excursion needed to keep up. Don't forget that though we are talking about 1" and even 1.4" compression drivers that is just the exit size of the device and not the actual diaphragm size or voicecoil size. That is why I earlier suggested a 10" horn loaded mid. I use 6 1/2" horn loaded speakers for home use rather than a larger 10" speaker and have a cutoff from 400 to 600 hz on the bottom end. Below this any good bass driver should be able to cover those frequencies. My mid horns are only about 12" x 12" in size at the mouth, and along with a small format high frequency horn they integrate much better than a larger horn system. Both horns have identical dispersion characteristics so it make things much easier and much smaller to deal with.
Old 16th February 2013, 04:56 PM   #45
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindhornman View Post
their cabinets are in perfect condition
I wish mine were. Unfortunately, it seems they spent their life on the road before arriving on my doorstep. The worst part is, they were used with the horn inside so when I flipped it over to top mount the horn, well let's just say there's no doubt these were 'well loved' before I adopted them.
Quote:
I have thought about adding a mid range driver
I am happy I did. It allowed me to drop the XO on the woofer as the tweeter driver didn't go low enough and the woofer wasn't really meant to cover that high. Also, I don't mind the 511/811 stacked look either.
Old 16th February 2013, 05:06 PM   #46
diyAudio Member

Cal,
When I finally get out to my storage lockers I will pick up a pair of horn lenses for you and send them up North. I think you would enjoy them for a small system. Gratis on my end. Then you can tell the others who are still into that and perhaps someone else would want some. I have at least a hundred high frequency horns in storage and many of the 6 1/2" horns. They are molded polyurethane structural foam and very well damped, no problems with having to damp them like a sheet metal horn or most plastic horns. I still have the tooling to make more if I ever want to do that.

Steven
Old 16th February 2013, 05:13 PM   #47
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindhornman View Post
When I finally get out to my storage lockers
Man, I know the feeling. I had to buy a 2nd house
Quote:
I will pick up a pair of horn lenses for you and send them up North. I think you would enjoy them for a small system. Gratis on my end.
Sounds great, appreciate that. What drivers do you mount to them?
Old 16th February 2013, 05:23 PM   #48
diyAudio Member

Cal,
I have used everything from a small pancake Radian to a 2001 TAD on the 1" horn. Loved the TAD's though that was when I could get a pair for less than $500. Sales rep at the time was a friend of mine. The mid horn was originally designed to be in a floor monitor to make them three way. I originally used the Polydax PR17 driver. I have my own 6 1/2" speaker design now but it isn't really a mid range device though I could make it that. I have also used some Seas drivers and other Danish drivers. They can take whatever midrange 6 1/2 you would like.
Old 16th February 2013, 06:10 PM   #49
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris661 View Post
With most compression drivers struggling to get below 300Hz, why not use a more conventional cone-type driver?
I've heard it done with a Lowther on a big horn and it was very good indeed.
Old 16th February 2013, 10:31 PM   #50
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve71 View Post
The Synergy horn solves a lot of problems and is a brilliant design, I agree. I've read a couple of builds, but didn't see anyone who had nailed the design - if you're aware of a build that I could copy that would be great. I just don't have the time or knowledge to blaze that trail.
A good bit of DIY Synergy stuff here: Horns and Waveguides. There's at least one complete build there and links to others. There's also a couple good documented Synergy builds here on DIYA.

Hide this!Advertise here!