Design me a crossover and I'll build it - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th February 2013, 09:14 PM   #31
Jay1111 is offline Jay1111  United States
diyAudio Member

That will work. Are you combining smaller values for cost saving?

Make sure you follow Zaph's advice for mounting the driver

Quote:
This is without a doubt the highest performing 3" I've come across, at least on a few fronts. The motor is an underhung neodymium design and the cone is thin (and fragile) formed aluminum. The only negative is a slightly ragged top end that may take some filter work if used full range, but I'd generally recommend a cheap and small neo tweeter placed close and crossed over high. There's a lot on the positive side, like high sensitivity, a clean low end and smooth midrange response. The frame is cast with ventilation under the spider, but users will have to pay close attention to airflow behind the cone - It's even more important to chamfer the inside baffle opening and in this case likely use a thinner baffle material as well.

Last edited by Jay1111; 16th February 2013 at 09:17 PM.
Old 16th February 2013, 09:27 PM   #32
diyAudio Member

Yes, somewhat. Solen's polyester series is cheaper than the series you picked (probably MKP) but they didn't have the exact values required, so I needed to parallel smaller caps to get the right values.

I am going to chamfer away as much as I can. I needed to do the same for some Hi-Vi B3S drivers I had, too.
Old 16th February 2013, 09:36 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

There are 5 inductors in this crossover. I'm worried I may not have enough space to isolate them properly. Should I put in some steel sheet between the inductors to form maze-like walls?
Old 16th February 2013, 09:39 PM   #34
diyAudio Member

Never thought about that, not sure if it would work? For my center build I put the woofer/tweeter crossover behind one of the woofers, and the mid crossover behind the other woofer.
Old 17th February 2013, 06:02 AM   #35
diyAudio Member

I believe it would shield the fields just fine. I just don't know if it would affect the inductance (being that the permeability is so high).
Old 20th February 2013, 05:22 PM   #36
diyAudio Member

The dip at 2.3 kHz is coming from baffle diffraction? The Fountek should be smooth there. I know there is a dip at 1.2 kHz from the driver itself.

I'm wondering how much I can fix with liberal application of wool felt.
Old 20th February 2013, 08:46 PM   #37
diyAudio Member

Yes, the dip/peak/dip in the mids response is all related to its placement on the baffle.
Old 20th February 2013, 09:05 PM   #38
diyAudio Member

The response graph you're looking at is what, +/- 1.5dB? There's little point in analyzing the little bumps in that. The real question is how close Jay's estimates on the acoustic offsets end up being and (relatedly) whether the overall power/polar response ends up being a voicing you like in-room.
Old 20th February 2013, 11:59 PM   #39
diyAudio Member

Won't know until I try. It's a hell of a lot better than I would be able to do on my own anyway.

I think I will be adding some F-13 felt on the baffle.
Old 23rd February 2013, 01:15 PM   #40
diyAudio Member

Er, it looks like the width of the baffle is actually going to be 22", not 20". Does this affect the crossover?

Hide this!Advertise here!