I added these parameters to WinISD, is this correct? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th February 2013, 05:01 AM   #1
leosep is offline leosep  ominican Republic
diyAudio Member

Default I added these parameters to WinISD, is this correct?

Hi all, I added these parameters to WinISD, is this correct? Im new on this...

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/conten...ts/55-1870.pdf

Is that measure correct for the cab?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg speaker.jpg (369.5 KB, 80 views)
Old 13th February 2013, 10:06 AM   #2
Juhazi is offline Juhazi  Finland
diyAudio Member

Looks reasonable to me. It is a small driver. Don't expect to get much spl before hitting xmax 2,0mm!

You can change cabinet size and tuning, see what happens in the graph!
AES Associate Member / My DIY speaker history: -74 Philips 3-way, -82 Hifi 85B, -07 Zaph L18, XLS10+PR/Hypex, -08 CSS125FR, -08 Hifitalo AW-7, -08 TangBand FR, -09 MarkK ER18DXT, -13 PPSL470, -13 AINOgradient

Last edited by Juhazi; 13th February 2013 at 10:08 AM.
Old 13th February 2013, 12:13 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

hi, thanks. im not sure if i really understand the graph. I want to build some monitors for studio. Should i use a crossover network or just a capacitor for the tweeter?

Last edited by leosep; 13th February 2013 at 12:42 PM.
Old 13th February 2013, 01:03 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Is this crossover enough for what im trying to do?

Two-Way Crossover Network - 6dB per Octave 3KHz 40W RMS | 50-782 (50782) | Distributed By MCM

Im using these tweeters: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Pair-of-2-...item337ced6e0b

Last edited by leosep; 13th February 2013 at 01:17 PM.
Old 13th February 2013, 08:19 PM   #5
gfiandy is offline gfiandy  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi, when you say you want to build some studio monitors, what do you mean. Do you plan to mix music on them. If so you really need to take measurements and design a crossover that will give you a flat un coloured response. This is a significant amount of work and will almost certainly require several iterations.

If you just want to make some cheap speakers to play back instruments then you approach will create a speaker that will play back sound but it is very unlikely to be flat.

For a monitor speaker if you haven't designed a speaker befor I would recommend finding a design that some one has already done. You can then learn from their design and end up with a speaker that will be suitable for your application.

Zaph creates very nutral designs that would probably be suitable for monitoring.
He also gives a good description of the design decisions so you can learn.

Zaph|Audio

Regards
Old 13th February 2013, 10:25 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I see, well ill make some computer speakers then, thanks. One more question, so you think the box dimensions are right for best performance? The vent windows shows for a 2" diameter port tube a 3.4" tall/long tube? Im planing on putting a rear port behind the tweeter. Is that ok? ITs my first time using WinISD

Last edited by leosep; 13th February 2013 at 10:28 PM.
Old 14th February 2013, 02:59 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

anyone?
Old 14th February 2013, 08:18 PM   #8
gfiandy is offline gfiandy  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi Win ISD is not a bad simulator so assuming the values you put in are correct you should get something quite close to the simulation. Driver parameters are not very stable anyway, they typically vary 10% with temperature and the variation between parts can be quite high as well especially with lower cost parts. So I wouldn't get too hung up on the exact dimensions.

For the port, again the simulator is usually quite good. Putting it behind the bass driver will give you the highest Q and hence maximum output, however you will likely get some mid range leakage. Behind the tweeter should give you almost as much output so long as you don't stuff wadding in the way. Ported enclosures are best lined with foam to absorb some of the internal energy and reduce any resonance. You could put a bit of wadding behind the tweeter to reduce HF from the back of the tweeter getting out the port but try not to get it in the path from the back of the woofer to the port.

Regards,
Andrew

At the level you are trying to achieve the box should work well
Old 15th February 2013, 01:27 AM   #9
Dissi is online now Dissi  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leosep View Post
The vent windows shows for a 2" diameter port tube a 3.4" tall/long tube?
I would agree if the port diameter was 1.5". But 2" gives a tuning frequency of 70 Hz and a misalignment. Please reexamine your result. Or did you change the volume (post #1 says 9.7 litres)?
Old 15th February 2013, 06:47 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Hi thanks for your responses, i decided to locate the port behind the tweeter, use a port diameter of 1.5" and 3.5" long/tall, put a little of foam inside like an U, blocking right/bottom/left interior sides, and glue some wadding to the magnet of the tweeter. Is that ok?

Hide this!Advertise here!