'JASD' (Just A simple Dipolspeaker)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yes, go for it. To get you going you only need a cheapo tweeter and I would suggest trying a 0.68Uf, or 0.47uF cap for the crossover for starters.

Cheapest baffle? Go to a builders store and get some 50mm polystyrene sheet. Make up a thin plywood circle with four holes in it. Recesss the main driver in the polystyrene and bolt it to the plywood ring.

Do a similar thing for the tweeter.

Aesthetics?, cover the baffle in some stretchy material and then prop the baffle up with a piece of timber supporting the back of the driver.

Baffle size 1.2m by 0.6m. :smash:

The Ciare looks very interesting. How is it's 'shouting'-behaviour?

I mean: it, at least, needs some tuning down of the high frequencies, right?

ciareCH250_fg.jpg

still some questions about the open baffle.

the most people out there, take an full range driver with an tweeter.
so here some questions

1)why do they take supertweeters like FT16 or ribbon, and not simply (dome) tweeters ?
2)would it be better to take an good bass-mid-range driver combined with a tweeter at very low crossover ?
a) in this way you don't narrow the sound to a very limited sweet spot.
b)or is it better to let the frequency from 200hz (or preferably much lower like 60hz) until 5000hz (or more) to do by one driver, so the sound is more real?

thanx

The main idea is to use a driver that can cover as much of the 'most listened to' range so that no crossover is included in that range.

I use a 'normal' soft dome tweeter with my Goodmans 201's but the tweeter does not come into play until around 10K.

What type of tweeter you use depends on how low you want to use it. Obviously if you use it lower, the quality of the tweeter is more important. Used higher up as a super-tweeter, quality is not so critical (in practice anyway).

Some people like Norbert don't find it necessary to use an additional tweeter at all.

Re: Hi Nielsio

Stefano said:
Hi Nielsio really i don't care very much of soun refining over 10KHz since it's something like an experiment to build someting very simple and dinamic

If you look at the graph, you'll find the problems at 3 and 5 khz, not 10.

I'm asking, because I would like to use it for my sister's new system and listenability is an issue with these kind of drivers. If it's not too bad, then it's ok (I have 3x EQ on her Marantz), but if it's pretty bad, it's a waste of money.

then_dude said:
would it be better to take an good bass-mid-range driver combined with a tweeter at very low crossover ?
or is it better to let the frequency from 200hz (or preferably much lower like 60hz) until 5000hz (or more) to do by one driver, so the sound is more real?

Quite hard to answer. Look at the System Pictures & Description - thread and you'll find some interesting low-tweet&high-bass projects. Both configurations create a dynamic and coherent sound. It's mostly personal taste (as with everything).

Nuuk said:
Yes, go for it. To get you going you only need a cheapo tweeter and I would suggest trying a 0.68Uf, or 0.47uF cap for the crossover for starters.

:

helle Nuuk,

if i understand i have only to put a cap behind the tweeter, and let the senon run in full range without an crossover-element. But if i put an 0.47 or 0.68uf behind the tweeter, then the crossover frequency will be 40000hz, :xeye: i must be as wrong as wrong can be, what do i do wrong ?

thanx

If you look at the graph, you'll find the problems at 3 and 5 khz, not 10.

SPL diagrams of FR drivers (especially those with whizzer cones) will vary VERY much depending on the angle they are measured from. Particularly up from 4 kHz, where cone dimensions are in the same magnitude as wavelength, you may get totally different values for on axis, 15° or 30°.

So the Senon SPL diagram from spectrumaudio.de isn´t very helpful. But it generally indicates dropping SPL up from 4 kHz that can´t be compensated by a supertweeter. I am with nielsio that you should look for a real tweeter coming in from ~ 4kHz.

Rudolf

to nuuk:
yes i know that the cap has to be in serie with the tweeter, but you let the fullrange run in fullrange-mode so withouth an coil behind it ?

could you please give me a site or something like that where i can read about crossover design? i have searched but didnt find anything which i could use.

to the previous post;

im not gonna buy the senon because 90db/1w could be to little for a tube amp which maybe im gonna get.
I have looked around and probably i m gonna buy the ciare, and it has problems on 3 and 5khz
i have found a tweeter that isnt expensive, has the same sensitivity and has an fs of 1170hz, its the audax PR 125 T1; jean marie reynaud uses them in his designs. price 32 euro piece.
i think im gonna use them. I know its better to let one driver do it all by him self, but linkwitz-speaker is also crossed over at 1440hz, so it isn t so rare to do it. Or would you advice to buy something more expensive which can overcome the 3 and 5khz problem ?

thanx a lot allready

Konnichiwa,

then_dude said:
1)why do they take supertweeters like FT16 or ribbon, and not simply (dome) tweeters ?

A 1" Dome tweeter really has not that much better top-end than a well implemented Whizzer. Also, most Fullrange Drivers are around 4 - 8db more sensitive than most common dome tweeters.

then_dude said:
2)would it be better to take an good bass-mid-range driver combined with a tweeter at very low crossover ?

That depends how low "very low" is. I personally find it preferable to not have a crossover between around 200Hz and 5KHz. Even well aligned coaxial systems with good step response (Tannoy Coaxial prior to Monitor Gold) have problems with that.

then_dude said:
a) in this way you don't narrow the sound to a very limited sweet spot.

I have 8" Whizzer Drivers in open baffles, the sweet spot is not that narrow.

then_dude said:
b)or is it better to let the frequency from 200hz (or preferably much lower like 60hz) until 5000hz (or more) to do by one driver, so the sound is more real?

I find this to be the case. Ideally you use a Whizzer free driver who rolls off evenly and naturally above around 5...6KHz and add a Tweeter with very good HF performance above that, using a 1st order X-Over.

Sayonara

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.