Sphere enclosure: Rounding magnet rear? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th February 2013, 10:31 AM   #11
OllBoll is offline OllBoll  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barleywater View Post
U-frame pointing up places dipole null in horizontal plane; at best with open end close to floor quasi-cardioid with slot loading forms. Sealed is likely best approach.

Even small mid will start beaming around 3kHz, causing bright reflection from ceiling.

Good luck improving SL's Pluto this way.
Since the woofer will be in a damped U-frame it only has a null at below 50 hz, above that it becomes cardioid and omni at about 250. So it is omni above the modal region which is nice, within the region the response will be fixed with distributed dipole subs. And high frequency beaming isn't something I can hear atleast. The top end will be handled by a ring of cone tweeters around the midrange.

It's not an improvement over the Pluto but rather an improvement over the Pop Box but few outside of Sweden know of that speaker so I used the Pluto as an example instead =)

Last edited by OllBoll; 9th February 2013 at 11:00 AM.
Old 9th February 2013, 12:33 PM   #12
OllBoll is offline OllBoll  Sweden
diyAudio Member

The idea with the U-frame is to test it in my room with the distributed dipole subs and see if I can fix the response such that it is as good or better than if I use a monopole woofer. If so then I'll keep the U-frames and if not then I'll seal them up

Hide this!Advertise here!