Subwoofers: are they really necessary for home audio? - Page 13 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th February 2013, 07:22 PM   #121
balerit is offline balerit  South Africa
diyAudio Member

After reading all the comments above, the way I see it is that those systems that perform poorly need a subwoofer or for those you who want live sound (which is not hi-fi). Thankfully my system gives the bass that I want i.e the way the sound engineer recorded it. For info: my speakers use the corners of the room as an extention, giving me good bass.

As an aside, has anyone ever heard a recording taken straight from the mixing desk before any enhancements and mixing, it actually has more dynamics and maybe you guys with subs would perhaps enjoy it more?
Old 10th February 2013, 07:32 PM   #122
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

wouldn't dream of having music/hifi speakers that doesn't do at least 30hz

but for my bass guitar I prefer playing all whats above 100hz and still beats the crap out of any hifi
but playing music on hifi hifi with nothing below 100hz would be like no bass at all
can't say i understand why a bass guitar can shake the house with bass nodes above 100hz, but a hifi fails miserably
Old 10th February 2013, 07:45 PM   #123
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by balerit View Post
After reading all the comments above, the way I see it is that those systems that perform poorly need a subwoofer
You need a woofer (not necessarily a subwoofer) that is capable of reproducing frequencies down to lets say 30Hz (for music) at the desired sound pressure level. If such a woofer is placed in a room the frequency response at the listening position gets heavily "distorted" by the room. This "distortion" has to be removed if HiFi is the goal. There are several solutions to the problem. One of them is the use of (multiple) subs.

Quote:
or for those you who want live sound (which is not hi-fi).
Well, live sound is sound production, we're talking about reproduction.

Quote:
Thankfully my system gives the bass that I want i.e the way the sound engineer recorded it.
How do you know that? Have you been present during mixing/mastering? You might like what you hear in your room but that might be very different from what the musician/mixer/mastering engineer heard.

Quote:
For info: my speakers use the corners of the room as an extention, giving me good bass.
Define "good bass". Did you try the sine burst test I had suggested earlier?

Quote:
As an aside, has anyone ever heard a recording taken straight from the mixing desk before any enhancements and mixing, it actually has more dynamics and maybe you guys with subs would perhaps enjoy it more?
While it's true that most of today's recordings dramatically lack dynamics it's also true that not every musician has perfect playing skills. All the different effects and techniques in recording, mixing and mastering actually help in creating a more enjoyable or even more artistic recording.
Old 10th February 2013, 07:50 PM   #124
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinitus View Post
can't say i understand why a bass guitar can shake the house with bass nodes above 100hz, but a hifi fails miserably
Put a microphone at the listening position, then you know why.
Old 10th February 2013, 07:59 PM   #125

I don't have a listening position....what would it show me ?

would it tell me why a bass guitar sounds like thunder above 100hz....and hifi doesn't ?

btw, my bass guitar low woofer is a Faital Pro monster, State of the Art 15" in closed 40liter box, and with 45hz Fs and 0.3Qts, no peaking at all, and rolls off early just below 100hz
and it still plays a monster thunder bass, sweet and clean, and shakes everything with ease

one day shortly after building I thought, wow, must one heck of a hifi woofer, or midbass at least
and what happened...it sounded like a poor midrange driver
its just weird
Old 10th February 2013, 08:32 PM   #126
terry j is offline terry j  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonasz View Post
It's expensive and tricky to reach down low with quality but thats another thing and most people probably don't think it's worth it.
I think the first part is very true.

Think about the cost and effort to 'get the first octave done right' vs 'the last octave'.

Just get or buy the 'best tweeter', whatever that is, and you're done.

Now compare the task. So no wonder as you said most people just forget about it. And why not? After all, 'I already have sufficient bass and really enjoy what I have'. For sure, I take them at their word that they feel what they have is sufficient (and in the rare case they actually might have).

And, often they will compare their no sub sit to a poor sub install (they sounded disjointed or over bearing or muddied things up). That hearkens straight back to 'tricky'.

In essence, they have no yardstick by which to make their decision. I can acknowledge that this might sound like .no matter what you say the end result is you need subs', ie I can always say 'it was not set up right' or make any excuse under the sun(fire..hahaha)

So whilst I acknowledge that I hope the flip side can be seen to have truth. It IS far trickier to get the subs right. But I am certain that to make your decision on do I need subs you need to hear an install that IS well done. It is a different question 'do I need subs?' to 'do I need subs which will sound like those bad installs?'

My experience with the closing part of your sentence is the complete opposite. (I am in the happy position that due to annual events over here an awful lot of people come thru and hear my install) And, without exception, people go away with a completely new reality about bass. (it can get annoying in a way, ALL they will talk about is 'OMFG, the bass. I have never heard anything like it'. C'mon man, it does OTHER things well too ya know! )

Sounds like I am bigging myself up. Not really, I am trying to give the universal reaction (prob a hundred people have come thru over the years???).

When people hear it, and for the first time, they always say 'I had no ideas what true bass is like'. It IS universally enjoyed.
Old 10th February 2013, 08:36 PM   #127
tvrgeek is offline tvrgeek  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
After reading all the comments above, the way I see it is that those systems that perform poorly need a subwoofer or for those you who want live sound (which is not hi-fi). Thankfully my system gives the bass that I want i.e the way the sound engineer recorded it. For info: my speakers use the corners of the room as an extention, giving me good bass.

MAJOR important point here. The mixing for a recording has to compress the dynamics. Originally to less than 65 dB as that is all a record could do, but even with the CD, most music is played via radios, internet and iPods, so dynamic range of less than 50 dB makes it more suitable to the medium. The only recording I ever heard that could almost, I say almost, convince me it was live was of a half-track master of an upright bass being bowed. B&W 801's, Levinson et al.

Remember the craze in the 70's about peak unlimiters? They could really help poor recordings, but the purists would never buy them. They stagnated as mid-fi ( and they were) so they never advanced to the high fidelity realm. Someone shroud try again. Heck, I want the loudness control back on my preamp.
Old 10th February 2013, 08:38 PM   #128
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinitus View Post
wouldn't dream of having music/hifi speakers that doesn't do at least 30hz

but for my bass guitar I prefer playing all whats above 100hz and still beats the crap out of any hifi
but playing music on hifi hifi with nothing below 100hz would be like no bass at all
Your bass guitar system obviously is louder above 100 Hz than your "miserable hifi".
Old 10th February 2013, 08:48 PM   #129

he, maybe its just that

I have another much cheaper 12" woofer 'system' that rolls off at 150hz
and that one can pound the floor like Im playing a big pedal drum
Old 10th February 2013, 09:45 PM   #130
diyAudio Member

Quote:
More dynamics yes, but it is very unrefined, and also not balanced. A subwoofer has nothing to do with this. It would be unbalanced and unrefined whether a subwoofer is used or not.

Hide this!Advertise here!