New 3-way project - "The French Touch"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Building the next one !
Positionning precision is not that good but I just can't wait to finish it... :snail:

Attachments

• DSC_0003.jpg
    DSC_0003.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 254
  • DSC_0004.jpg
    DSC_0004.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 243
  • DSC_0008.jpg
    DSC_0008.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 245
  • DSC_0009.jpg
    DSC_0009.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 243
6 dB filter require that the drivers are flat in impedance and frequency response two octaves on each side of the crossover.

The 4 Ohm bass speaker is 8 Ohm at 300 Hz and 20 Ohm at 1200 Hz so the crossover is anything but 6 dB. Zobel filters are the ting to use for woofer and midrange to flatten the impedance. Using resistors to attenuate mid and high range is common using both serial and parallell resistors. The good thing is that it flattens out the impedance seen by the crossover.

Thanks for the info. :)
I agree with you because a small slope of filtering is not enough to compensate for impedance change. So, if the impedance is changing in the same area as the cutoff frequency, the filter's effect which is already very slow (6db/decade), becomes useless.

But my filter is 12db/decade.
Please have a look here. What do you think ?
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/atta...3-way-project-french-touch-correct_12db_m.jpg

Hi,

So, I've just received the drivers and taken some pictures.
- Audax TW025A28
- Davis Acoustics 16GKLV6R (replaces the 16GKLV6M)
- Atohm D300P04

All in all, I've very satisfied with this driver choice.
The Audax very nice and compact, with its gold-plated titanium dome.
The Davis has this unique look, with its fixed cone at the center and its kevlar membrane.
As for the Atohm, it looks less "sophisticated" but much more "powerful", in the end that's not really a problem for a bass driver.
:)

Here are some pictures.

Attachments

• DSC03304.JPG
    DSC03304.JPG
    45.4 KB · Views: 50
  • DSC03305.JPG
    DSC03305.JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 52
  • DSC03311.JPG
    DSC03311.JPG
    63.4 KB · Views: 47
  • DSC03310.JPG
    DSC03310.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 48
  • DSC03308.JPG
    DSC03308.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 51
  • DSC03307.JPG
    DSC03307.JPG
    94 KB · Views: 49
Also, I'm done with one of the speakers (see pictures below).
The other one still needs some paint on the front and back panels.

I tested the sound of the first speaker. :D
It works very well. :)
First impressions are that the tweeter has a very good sensitivity compared to the rest. I might need to remove those resistors that I placed in the medium channel. The medium sounds slightly attenuated. The bass is ok.

The tweeter gave me really a good impression right from the start. It sounds neet and precise and yet not metallical at all.

The medium is good also, precise and a lot of power in reserve. I feel also that it is much less directive than on my old speakers. I can move around and still hear very well the music. The instruments and voices finally sound lound and clear.

The bass requires more power than the others. You can feel that it starts to move when you turn the volume button a bit more. But even though it is less sensitive then the others, you can always here a little bass and it is nice and neet. I like it in fact. It doesn't sound like it's saturating all the time, instead it goes much deeper in the low frequencies than my old speakers.

Let's see how it sounds with both speakers playing.

Attachments

• DSC03317.JPG
    DSC03317.JPG
    113 KB · Views: 89
  • DSC03314.JPG
    DSC03314.JPG
    100.1 KB · Views: 91
Ok guys, I'm done with my project for now !!

I finished both speakers and now I need some time to listen to them :D
I talked a little about the sound earlier.
I don't know if it's excellent, acceptable, medium or bad compared to others.

What I know is that is is much better than my previous speakers.
It lacks a little medium maybe.

The main difference with my older speaker is that the sound seems to come from everywhere. It's difficult to locate the speakers when you close your eyes. :)

I like the sound, really.
All I want to do now is just listen to all my music and have the pleasure of re-discovering everything :D :D

The paint work isn't as smooth and clean as I wanted but I guess it's ok. At least my wife didn't comment on that part... :p

Ok, have a good evening !

PS : No comment on my living room ! :p

Attachments

• DSC03326.JPG
    DSC03326.JPG
    126.1 KB · Views: 48
  • DSC03325.JPG
    DSC03325.JPG
    90.9 KB · Views: 50
  • DSC03323.JPG
    DSC03323.JPG
    167.5 KB · Views: 56
  • DSC03321.JPG
    DSC03321.JPG
    140.7 KB · Views: 61
Hi,

The tweeter is at 1,75m from the ground. :eek:
Initially, I chose this position because I often listen to music when I'm moving around in my appartment. It is more or less at ear level when I'm standing.

In the end, I was really surprised how those dome tweeters are not directive at all. Of course when you are in front and look at the speaker it's more powerful, but the difference with other angles is really acceptable. :rolleyes:
The explanation to this, I think, is that the tweeters have a 95dB sensitivity which is superior to the two other drivers.

What I regret now, is not having put the tweeter and the midrange closer to each-other.
At the time where I designed the speaker I didn't know it was better to make them as close as possible.
This is one of the new things I learned thanks to this project :)

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.