Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th February 2013, 07:09 PM   #1
jcady is offline jcady  United States
diyAudio Member

Default speaker revamp Yamaha NS-A100XT

Ok so I would like to eventually build my own speakers from scratch. I had plans to build a kit with my father on my next break, but that fell through (work trip). As student I don't have the money to buy quality speakers to make my own or a woodworking shop like my father.
What I do have is a set of Yamaha NS-A100XT that i picked up from the goodwill which I would like to improve. So I would like to upgrade my spakers. things I am interested in doing are isolating the midrange as it in heavy bass sections is synchronous with the woofers i have been tempted to try cardboard tubes like from a oatmeal container. Is that a bad choice of meterials? .
Also I am tempted to replace the crossover. I really want wo get into speaker building but my electronics experience comes down to a merit badge in which i learned to solder and a undergraduate physics corse. So I would like to try to get some experience with crossovers. I believe I can learn. I just dont know the best way to start. I might be over my head trying to rework the crossover but i would like to start somewhere.
My schooling takes up a lot of time so I am not looking to be a profesional speaker builder i just want to get my hands dirty. so I could use some help with the crossover or advice. I relise it is complex and that i dont even know the difference between first order and second order crossovers or fully how a inducer works. ( I believe it filters high frequencies).

I relise i dont have much information that might be needed like speaker response measurements. I dont have a mic. i dont even know what i need besides a mic. I am guessing a preamp and a way to put it in my computer and I have read about usb sound cards but I dont know what I would need. plus all my money is loans so I dont have a lot.

if you could give me some help, or some advice even if it is to go a different direction. it would be greatly appreciated. below you will find a link to some discussion on the speakers. and a description of there sound in my opinion. I will post pictures of the currant crossovers latter. sorry this is such a long post. and I relise there is A lot of info already out there and I am open to read books or links i just need some help getting started.

link

They are ok I know allot of reviews are pretty bad but i find they work ok for movies but are a little muddy for music and a little harsh in the highs. when I compere them to stuff at the best buy I just end up thinking my ATH-M50 headphones sound better then all these. in spite of there flaws my speakers are decently full boddy sounding but muddy. where the B&W is very clear it just sounds empty also.

Hide this!Advertise here!