3 Way crossovers 2nd order - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th February 2013, 09:29 AM   #1
oszkar is offline oszkar  Romania
diyAudio Member

Default 3 Way crossovers 2nd order

Hello! I am building a pair of speakers each unit containing 2 basses, 2 mids, 2 highs! Powers are as following: 120w bass/unit aramid, mids i do not own them yet but supposing they will be visaton m10 or similar, highs are silk dome tweeter with back possitioned wave absorbant material 150w/unit!
I want to avoid bell ring on bass!
Cut frequency 1500/8000hz!
I do not know a schematic or what is needed to make theese crossovers!
Preferably i would make them as cs-v50f from PIONEER!
Old 6th February 2013, 10:01 AM   #2
Jay is offline Jay  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Speaker/crossover design is not as simple as you seem to think.

You can gather good and expensive drivers but if the crossover is wrong the result will be worse than well executed cheap designs.

Unless you want to pay someone to do the design for you, your option is limited to copying existing design.

But you already own the woofers. Hmmm... Why not build active crossover. Crossover can be found in ESP site or all over the internet. But you need to have 3 amplifiers. 6x LM3886 chips cost less than $50.
Old 6th February 2013, 10:05 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

i bought theese woofers as i am researching sound, i am a textile engineer and my curiosity just doesen't let me sleep with no results, please have a look at cs-v50f from PIONEER as I want to build a replica o them i heard them and i like them very much for how they are!
Old 6th February 2013, 10:08 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

i want to invest into the crossovers! No problem! I just don't know what to do about them!
Old 6th February 2013, 02:01 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I have searched for them for 18 years i do not want to blow them up!
Old 6th February 2013, 02:19 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I suggest you read through the sticky thread above on XO design without measurements; this is for 2-way rather than three way speakers, but it will at least give you some general grounding in crossover design.

The fact is, if you want a quality XO, you need to measure the response of the individual drive units on the baffle of the speaker before you can design it. The power handling (wattage rating) for the drive units is irrelevant at this stage. What you need are their impedances, efficiencies and response curves on the intended baffle. If you like the Pioneer speakers you mention, you may simply be better off buying a pair of those rather than trying to replicate them; without a considerable amount of information on the speakers you mention, there is little chance of you being able to recreate whatever it is they do that you like. The crossover to a considerable extent is what voices a multiway speaker, so unless you use the same drive units as in the Pioneer & the same crossover, you're not likely to obtain similar results.

Just a suggestion: you don't need to use a point of admiration (exclamation mark) after every sentence.

Last edited by Scottmoose; 6th February 2013 at 02:25 PM.
Old 6th February 2013, 03:22 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Ok! Scott! Thank you! You make a very good point! I just want to get them cut at the mentioned frequencies and know witch I have to inverse! For better fidelity I want them to be seccond oreder and in case to avoid bell ring witch I know is anoying for the woofers! powers of the drivers and frequencies from the specs sheets i know them all less the woofers!
Old 6th February 2013, 03:43 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Stop the exclamation marks(!) I beg of you... they drive me spare.

2nd order slopes will not necessarily avoid resonance problems, nor will it automatically sound better than anything else. Sound quality is almost entirely a matter of implementation. It depends on the response of the drive units and the crossover frequencies, which you select based upon this and other factors. You will need to flatten the impedance of the drivers so the crossover works as intended, and remember that the electrical slope is rarely if ever the same as the acoustical slope. And we haven't yet even touched upon compensation for baffle-step losses, or the amount of attenuation your chosen tweeter will need (if any). I don't want to sound negative, but this is not a simple process, nor one that you can just plug a few numbers into a formula & get the results you want. Frankly, if you can't measure your drivers in your box design, or have detailed information on the Pioneer speakers you mention that you are trying to replicate (exact drive units, responses, crossover design details), you will not end up with something that sounds like them. You will be better off either buying a pair, or building a proven project that is likely to have a similar presentation.

Last edited by Scottmoose; 6th February 2013 at 03:50 PM.
Old 6th February 2013, 04:00 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

ok. here it is. I am not an electronist. I am an economist. i have the drivers as follows 4 basses aramid 8 ohms paired 80/120w, midrages are to be bought M10 from Visaton recent choice, and tweeters are 20w w/o crossover dibeisi e126 150w max power. I am about to buy the following crossovers that state as: 1200/6000Mhz cut frequencyes, 8Ohms, iron core for the inductance coils!
Old 6th February 2013, 05:00 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Sorry about the exclamation mark I am 27 and i have 24 years of school! just pure accomodation!

Hide this!Advertise here!