Maximum separation of driver centers vs. frequency to avoid significant lobing

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This is a topic that I have seen touched upon many times in the past in threads, but I've always "wanted more" regarding people's experiences testing the response of driver pairs at various center distances.

More than that, I've seen more than one number thrown around for the maximum center distance that should be used. I've seen both 1/4 and 1/2 wavelength stated on multiple occasions. I suspect that it isn't an "all or nothing" type of answer, hence why I would like a more involved discussion. Crossover slope obviously plays an important role here as well.

Also related to this discussion is the issue of beaming. Does beaming and lobing share a common trend wrt frequency, or are these two phenomena independant?

Consider 1 full wavelength. If you crossover at 2000 Hz you're looking at (1130 ft/sec)*(12)/2000 = 6.78 inches. for a center to center spacing which is just doable for a 6.5" mid/woofer and a tweeter with a 4" faceplate. If you start moving the crossover up in freq then you just need to keep them as close as is reasonable.

Russ

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.