Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Digital Crossovers and RTA
Digital Crossovers and RTA
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th November 2003, 05:05 PM   #1
Branwell is offline Branwell
diyAudio Member

Smile Digital Crossovers and RTA

Behringer DCX2496 and DEQ2496.

To some of you, this might come as no surprise, but in actually experiencing it, I must say, I am almost speechless.

In general, in making passive cross overed speakers, we measure, figure out a base line crossover and then tweak from there. This can take huge amount of components and time.
Breadboards with alligator clips and components strewn all over the place.

Enter the Digital Crossover.

Take one DCX and one DEQ for real time analysis, and in an evening, you can go through hundreds of variations of slopes, phase, amplitude, crossover points, time alignment, baffle step compensation and driver EQ settings.

What is even better, once you have a base line setup, you can tweak it real time while listening to music. You can even setup different crossover settings for different recording qualities and change them with a push of a button.

Its amazing how good drivers sound when optimized for ones room and ears……

Branwell
Old 21st November 2003, 08:49 PM   #2
Ken L is offline Ken L  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Digital Crossovers and RTA

Quote:
Originally posted by Branwell
Behringer DCX2496 and DEQ2496.

To some of you, this might come as no surprise, but in actually experiencing it, I must say, I am almost speechless.........

Its amazing how good drivers sound when optimized for ones room and ears……

Branwell
I just have the DCX2496.

Actually, I think this will be a surprise to many - how much difference there is in being able to tweak the crossover to within 2 or 3 hz, or for that matter how much difference there can be between 2 or 3 hz ( on a sub) and with the delay correctly set.

My setup is more coherent than I would have thought.

While some are critical of the quality of the Behringer, I have no discernable problems. Also, you have to figure that a passive crossover made even from the best of products is not made from perfect components.

I sincerely believe that the current crop of digital crossovers are the first of many in the years to come - While imperfect, to me they are better than the alternatives

regards

Ken L

Digital Crossovers and RTAHide this!Advertise here!