diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Multi-Way (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/)
-   -   Two-way no compromise on size.. (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/229318-two-way-no-compromise-size.html)

AStroop 4th February 2013 10:37 AM

Two-way no compromise on size..

Hi Everyone,
Looking at some input and advice on my next project.

Here is where I am at now and what I am dealing with!

Room is 11m(35ft) x 6m(19ft) x 3.8m(12ft) cielings. The room is actual twice as wide (12m) but as it is a loft I will making rooms in the future...

I listen to mostly classical, jazz, acousitc music, some pop but not often and not the priority. no doof doof... I am in an apartment so no crazy bass required.. rolling off after 40-50hz. I don't listen at high spl. basically something that has ease at lower levels and nice dynamics and smooth musical bass.

I can make the boxes pretty much any size I want. I have been reading JRKO's thread and find it awesome! And was thinking something similar. ie
faitalpro 15h510 in an onken or a large closed enclosure. Crossing to this around 800hz Horns

would be active and biamped.

I am seriously open to any suggestions. Like i said they can be refrigerators if needed! :)

all the best
A

AStroop 5th February 2013 03:28 PM

Hmmm really no responses? I guess I'll keep reading..
I did mean the 15fh510..
If I need to give more information i can.
I wanted to keep the crossover below and out of the region 1kHz - 7kHz.
I thought the faitalpro would be good up until then from 40Hz. Just need some pointers on the enclosure.

weltersys 5th February 2013 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AStroop (Post 3357058)
Just need some pointers on the enclosure.

Copy an enclosure design that you like.

Cal Weldon 5th February 2013 04:06 PM

Build a kit?

Richard Ellis 5th February 2013 04:23 PM

I was crunching numbers on a high efficiency Two-way.........trying to get a suitably large format horn....my idea was to use the Celestion TE-BS-18500 18" driver, 97Db,Fs 36.4....Qts .5 EBP 60.6 Vas 6.18 cu/ft. $120 USD.
In an enclosure of 10.5 Cu ft for a Fb of 38 Hz......so with one inch MDF, 22.856"X28.277"X35.106" .........rather large, still needing to get up on stands toward ear level. With a front baffle of 22", a nice large horn can be set there...one that can reach down to 800 Hz or so...
It would make for an impressive sight with an eighteen on a 22"X35" front baffle, up on stands....the two 4.25X6" ports on the back baffle.

__________________________________________________ _____Rick.......

AStroop 5th February 2013 04:29 PM

Already did a BIB with a fostex fe108 sigma and a basic open baffle beastie with a sica driver handling above 200hz (I know not right for OB) and an eminence alpha doing the rest.. I want something a bit more easy, sound wise...
I like the Altec 816 but I am not sure the faitalpro would work...
also thought about the Big Bang project on Stereo Lab
Anyway copying is fine...but wanted to try learning something myself, just need a push in the right direction.

AStroop 5th February 2013 04:31 PM

Hey Richard that is the right direction... and yes could certainly look cool.

tvrgeek 5th February 2013 09:09 PM

I would just pick one of the small ScanSpeak tower systems, maybe ZAPH designed, or one of the D'Apolitto SEAS designs. Then try and figure out what you would do better. Not an easy task. Several if us have been toying with the idea of small ( 6.5 inch or so) three ways to see if that can step it up a notch. If you have room for BIG speakers, have you thought about OB? Seems to have a following.

MASantos 5th February 2013 09:31 PM

It's a really big 3 way, high efficiency loudspeaker. Can't comment on sound but builders feedback seems good

PeteMcK 5th February 2013 10:06 PM

2x SEAS CA18RLY in ~75L, tuned to the mid 40s with 22tff tweeter.
Sprinkle round 1-3 subs to taste