Two-way no compromise on size..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I know... I looked at the faitalpro drivers for the Onken enclosures and yes indeed..:mad: grr.. no the won't work..neither will many others it seems! Bass reflex seems like the most obvious choice...but you know what?! I don't like the bass reflex sound that it gives to the low end.. I have heard some good stuff but it always sound 'chumpfy' and some what muted like it has a fine material in front of the sound.

Anyway I kind of put the onkens in there to see if I was missing something. Now it seems i am not!:D

What about an MLTL or a couple of 12's in the Klipsch Jubilee?

Those Klipsch Jubilee's look awesome... Anyone heard them? ( I mean in relation to other stuff)... I always read; "... or... blows klipsch out of the water..."
I will have to read more about them..
Cheers
A

If I read correctly that you are in Berlin (Germany)...do or can you "zip" over to Cologne?

I know a fine chap who lives there who's got a pair of Jubilee's.

If you ever get to England (Slough), there is a pair there as well as another location in England that I can't currently recall.

I've met the two owners that I mentioned and have no question in my mind they'd be happy to share an audition. In fact, the one in Slough is a dealer if I recall.

I don't like the bass reflex sound that it gives to the low end.. I have heard some good stuff but it always sound 'chumpfy' and some what muted like it has a fine material in front of the sound.

Maybe you weren't hearing 'some good stuff' - you hear live 'real stuff' so its going to be a struggle for you. What do you want, the power of the orchestra, the tumultuous rise and fall of the human voice, to hear a page turned by the conductor etc etc?

To have a veiled sound on a ported cabinet.......I don't know how you'd do that. Thats normally a description of HF. Maybe a smaller midbass driver crossed over high around 2.5khz? poorly chosen drivers or crossovers or porting or cabinet? Maybe even the cd player, recording, amp etc etc

A well designed vented enclosure should have all the snap & extension you need with no coloration.

A poorly designed anything will sound worse than a well designed something. The best way to ensure its well designed is to design it yourself with help from the excellent people here. All commercial designs have compromises of some sort. Your personally designed speakers do not have to

Anyway I kind of put the onkens in there to see if I was missing something. Now it seems i am not!:D

What about an MLTL or a couple of 12's in the Klipsch Jubilee?

No idea on MLTL or the Klipsch I'm afraid

Hmmm, when I mean veiled I mean just not crisp... but hey! I am sure you are right maybe they weren't well designed and definately I am used to hearing the real thing which is always surprising! But to be honest when you are on stage singing you don't hear much at all! Just yourself and the Soprano/Baritone/Bass honking in your ear....:eek:

The amp was an accuphase class A thingy... so that wasn't it. Recordings...well alot of opera recordings from the 50's-80's especially live were pretty dodgy... but that is part of the thrill i reckon, I can tell the difference there, wasn't them.
Closest I have come were the OB's... but really difficult to have presence at lower levels in my space.

Transmission lines for the bass could be interesting.

Hi Coytee, I don't often get over to Koeln very often and certainly not in the next 5 months unless I buy myself a car... and autobahn it...but thanks for the offer! I would be good to know their impressions of them and indeed yours.

Last edited:
build a Klipsch Jubilee with a K402 horn there you go done like dinner. Best regards Moray James.

Hi Moray,
I saw you did a thread on Klipsch horns in 2010! And you seem to have a lot of info about them. was wondering if you have the thiele parameters that a chassis for the jubilee would need. Found some plans and there is a bit of info here and there. Also they should get down to about 40Hz right?

Hi Moray,
I saw you did a thread on Klipsch horns in 2010! And you seem to have a lot of info about them. was wondering if you have the thiele parameters that a chassis for the jubilee would need. Found some plans and there is a bit of info here and there. Also they should get down to about 40Hz right?

The info is listed in a JAES article by Delgado and Klipsch (2000)

Hi Norman Bates,
What set up is that?
2x15's sealed enclosure?
Sure I am interested! Looks somewhat easier to build than a jubilee...
I do like the idea of keeping the system all horn based.... but a system that works is a system that works. They will be placed about 5 metres apart...
Would you mind sharing some details of it with me?
cheers
A

dual 15" eminence magnum 15lf (not easy to find) in jbl 4508a cabinets (8ft3 ported, 1 port stuffed).
ev dh7 on ev hr90 horn (foam in throat and around mouth edges).

dbx rx321 active crossover with cd-eq jumpered on.
cap in parallel with a resistor, used as hf lift circuit, in series with compression driver.

Sounds great, nice bass at low volume levels.

Last edited:
Also they should get down to about 40Hz right?

For those who use an active crossover, Roy (Delgado) has a PEQ boost at 32Hz. I don't know the technical stuff but from what I gather, at that level it acts more like a direct radiator and the distortion levels were still low enough to keep him happy.

I don't think you can achieve the same result with a passive.

Ok,
I gotta say, I really like a challenge and I think I have found it in the Jubilee...
I like the fact it is a horn, has two 12 inch drivers per side, also that it has good extension to 500Hz and thus suitable for a 2 way (just!). Also that is will integrate well with a horn mid. Lastly I kind of like that it is super efficient. It also seems to have quite a bit of (albeit decentralized) build information!

I know my original question has changed a little but that is exactly why I posed the question here. I had looked at quite a few Altec designs but not at the Klipsch.

I read it would work with 12inch eminence 3012LF drivers... I was wondering would it also suit the Beyma 12B100R has quite a bit more bass extension but also a low QTS... otherwise probably the faitalpro 12fh500 should work.

Does anyone want to talk me out of it? Say...there is something similar but better, simpler etc.?

Cheers and thanks to all the contributions so far. I really appreciate it! Seriously....

HI Norman!
Thanks for the info! Yeah....it is a bit tricky to get those drivers here. It says they are.... "nicht mehr leiferbar" Which means they can't supply them anymore.
As for the JBL boxes also a bit tricky to come by...
I suppose I could work out something similar...but then I quite like the look of the Jubilee as something pretty outrageous.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.