small 3 way. Is this a good idea? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th February 2013, 12:03 AM   #11
DougL is offline DougL  United States
diyAudio Member

I'm no expert, but I have a question. Why screw around with a 6" woofer on a 3 way?
Even a 2" dome should be able to cross to an 8" or larger woofer.
In my mind, the 6" drivers are a compromise to enable 2KHz crossover points on a 2 way.
All systems are compromises. If you keep the 6" woofer, how much have you gained?

By the way, My brother has an excellent speaker with a foster plainer tweeter, a Dayton RS-52 dome mid ans a pair of Audax aerogel 7" drivers and a 10" passive radiator.

Doug
Old 4th February 2013, 12:46 AM   #12
tvrgeek is offline tvrgeek  United States
diyAudio Member

Size. A good 6 can easily reach low enough to be fine for everything but heavy organ and special effects in a reasonable size room under 20L. If one is building a big floor stander, they sure 8 can reach up to 800 easy, 500 or so for a 10 is no problem. The question is of a complex three way to move the crossovers out of the critical vocal range really is an advantage over a two way ALL things being equal. Vanderstein has been selling this for 20 years. And let me assure you, if you think you are going to build something better than a 2Ce, you better think really hard. For me, size and " those tombstones are not going in my living room".

Never liked removable baffles, but that may be a good way to go with the good plywood. I can compare plywood to my MDF Seas set, and then compare two way to three way.
Old 4th February 2013, 12:58 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

I have been thinking along the same lines to use as my computer speakers.
Using a cheap 6 inch in a sealed box and two of those LG 80mm full-range crossed to the little 12mm Mylar dome in WMTM format.
Still just a thought experiment but I thought doable with relatively simple XO, sealed would give a small box and an F3 of 55Hz with this cheap Jaycar polycone woofer
Old 4th February 2013, 12:59 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moondog55 View Post
I have been thinking along the same lines to use as my computer speakers.
Using a cheap 6 inch in a sealed box and two of those LG 80mm full-range crossed to the little 12mm Audax Mylar dome in WMTM format.
Still just a thought experiment but I thought doable with relatively simple XO, sealed would give a small box and an F3 of 55Hz with this cheap Jaycar polycone woofer
Old 4th February 2013, 04:44 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

DougL: This was the 1st question i was expecting! Basically im trying to build a 3way with the drivers i already have, and in particular, the ribbons. Using the A5 seemed a logical step (since i have these too) and the 6iinch woofers are the largest i have, excepting the 10inch bassguitar amp speakers i have. I also thought that drivers of these sizes would give more capacity to overlap. Also im cheap, and im already hoarding drivers for tomorrow (maybe i should sell some?) To steal Moondogs words, it is a little 'thought experiment'.
Old 4th February 2013, 05:14 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

TVRgeek- CSD of the Alpairs would be handy i agree. I have to admit im ignorant of Vanderstein, and i should read up. The best ive found is i think at strassacker oq hobbyhifi (may have spelt it wrongly). My german is basic and i had to rely on translate. According to the reviewer the Alpair5 shows peaks at 700hz and 13k on their CSD. It was a handy document, since they had tested ALL the drivers i have, and give info that i couldnt find elsewhere, particularly in the case of the mission woofers.
Old 4th February 2013, 05:21 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Moondog- a WMTW was next in my train of thought (though im trying to refrain from buying more drivers). I also have a TB W3 1285 which could replace the alpair (or form another 3way or FAST with a larger woofer, that phaseplugged 10inch Mg cone Seas would be nice...But my OH has my wallet under lock and key!
Old 4th February 2013, 05:46 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Going WMTM would be the only way to match efficiencies with these little 80mm LG drivers
The little Audax tweeter is only 58mm across so C2C is fine at around 75mm ( or 3 inches for our non-metricated Yankee members LOL) and it should work with just a 1.5 or 2uF cap in series.
Still a thought experiment but I do have all the drivers and components needed
Do I really NEED a set of computer speakers that can handle 120 watts continuously?? Even as deaf as I am that would be seriously loud at a metre distance.
I could double the box size and go ported with the extra gain and depth,
Old 4th February 2013, 06:05 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

ah i misread. WMTM makes sense, but in my case i dont feel i need to. The woofer is about 4dB louder, so i have headroom to include a measure of BSC. Those would make awesome PC sound, OTT but awesome.
Old 5th February 2013, 05:45 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

You know what? I need my computer speakers and I may just build these over the next month, cabinetmaker next door just set up a home workshop and he owes me workshop time for the garage speakers I gave him.
My computer amp is an Alesis RA-100; do wait for the new thread

Hide this!Advertise here!