Why hi-end speakers are so expensive? Only Bill Gate$ has hi-end at home? - Page 9 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th February 2013, 02:09 PM   #81
FE3T is offline FE3T  Norway
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.wayne View Post
Ok we get it you love your Trabant ........
Is that even remotely possible? I migth be a tad excentric, but buying a East German Plastic two stroke thingy who wasent even aviable in Norway
as new would be to overdo it by a large margin.

I migth consider a Merc or a BMW but the rest of the European car industri leaves me uninterested.
Old 5th February 2013, 02:16 PM   #82
rdf is offline rdf  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Darwin View Post
Not sure about that but then the closest I ever got to Trabbies is making a few of them fly above the stage for a U2 tour back in '92.
If you did the Toronto shows I saw your work.
Old 5th February 2013, 02:26 PM   #83
JMFahey is offline JMFahey  Argentina
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I migth consider a Merc or a BMW but the rest of the European car industri leaves me uninterested.
Ever heard of Volvo?
Or Porsche/Ferrari/Alfa Romeo?
Plenty of fine design power still available in Old Europe
Old 5th February 2013, 02:47 PM   #84
FE3T is offline FE3T  Norway
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMFahey View Post
Ever heard of Volvo?
Or Porsche/Ferrari/Alfa Romeo?
Plenty of fine design power still available in Old Europe
Still uninterested
Old 5th February 2013, 02:51 PM   #85
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdf View Post
If you did the Toronto shows I saw your work.
I wasn't on tour with them, I worked for the company that built the stage set and hired U2 the lighting rig.
But if you saw the tour anywhere in the world you will have seen my work.
My ex-brother-in-law did the tour though. I think he was in charge of the dimmer racks.
The people who supplied the PA for Europe rented part of our premises of us and we shared a woodwork shop.

Touring pretty much sucks unless you're the artist or a rigger.

Hope you liked the show though!
Old 6th February 2013, 11:15 AM   #86
diyAudio Member

Another true anecdote closer to the topic at hand:

When Sony built the Sony Center in Berlin a close friend of an old classmate applied for a job as a technician. Sony refused because he wasn't good enough, he then applied for an almost identical job with Burmester (high end audio manufacturer) and got it immediately.
Old 4th March 2013, 01:57 PM   #87
diyAudio Member

This is a personal Thank You to Lynn Olson!

I just read the article The Art of Speaker Design and I loved it.
I was having trouble articulating a few points to someone and this article describes them perfectly..
Old 24th March 2013, 03:37 AM   #88
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Olson View Post
Although it's traditional in the hifi biz to have a 1:5, or even 1:10 ratio between (raw parts + cabinet cost + assembly labor) to retail price, this doesn't apply to the $20,000-and-up market.
I used to be in electronics equipment design. We needed 1:10 on the electronic components to make a profit. And this was on volumes of 20,000 to 500,000 units.
Old 24th March 2013, 05:34 AM   #89
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jacco vermeulen
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolo View Post
seriously underdeveloped
Sigh, so true.
If you're lucky, a Sonos distributed system with POS arrays in vinyl-foam ceilings.
Satellite sport-tv junkies install a million dollar up on a Kaleidescape & Crestron Adagio A/V pile, with wall-mounted control panels....and junk speakers.

The real biggies have it, but with enough space to include a cinema hall for 12-up, hardly surprising.

Burmester started up a 'division' for yacht audio, but it has't been a huge success, also due to some lack of boat-specific expertise/creative thinking.
Stuffing some chromed & engraved components in a 19' computer rack isn't exactly what I'd call Savoir of the clientèle af-Fair(e).

On the other hand, most superyacht owners are B&O types at best, and charter out their big willy to reduce the annual admission fee.
Yearly running cost is ~10 percent of the value, and a superyacht writes off half it's 'retail' cost in 10 years time.
(provided the owner has good karma )
Quite a large portion is also the type to feel an itch within a couple of years, to move up a dick-size.

Resell value of a highly customised yacht is a nightmare, merely an odd color scheme can drop price in half.
For an example : Quinta Essentia yacht for sale. Full details and pictures - Boat International (beyond 50m loa, cost is well over €1m a meter)

On a pocket-size yacht, lack of space is an important limiting factor.
And again, those owners rather have cabins for 12 than an extra yard to wiggle their ***.
A full-size piano scores higher on the list, entertaining business guests is better done with a Manilow impersonator & lobster than Barry on CD & spam on toast.
Old 24th March 2013, 09:09 AM   #90
afa is offline afa  Australia
diyAudio Member

Ahhh.. middle aged single(or about to be divorced or have there own man cave) men with a OCD, couldn't live with them, cant make a living with out them

Hide this!Advertise here!