Why hi-end speakers are so expensive? Only Bill Gate$ has hi-end at home? - Page 6 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th February 2013, 08:49 AM   #51
diyAudio Member

Mr Microsoft has such poor taste he probably listens to a Bose HTIAB system
Old 4th February 2013, 08:52 AM   #52
cotdt is offline cotdt  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to cotdt
Quote:
Originally Posted by awpagan View Post
concert violinist are you?
there was a time where i practiced my musical instrument (not violin) 10 hours a day to prepare for recitals, but i use violin as example because they are more expensive.

i never understood why people get so angry at expensive hi-fi yet revere even more expensive musical instruments.
Old 4th February 2013, 09:01 AM   #53
diyAudio Member

I don't get angry it is simply that the "RICH" are a different species and live by different rules we mere mortals can only dream about. When you have a disposable income of a half billion dollars US a year a stereo for a mere $125000 is less than the interest you earn on your salary
Old 4th February 2013, 10:06 AM   #54
awpagan is offline awpagan  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotdt View Post
there was a time where i practiced my musical instrument (not violin) 10 hours a day to prepare for recitals, but i use violin as example because they are more expensive.

i never understood why people get so angry at expensive hi-fi yet revere even more expensive musical instruments.
Generally the revered musical instruments, have got there status with age. and revered more so by the muso's than general public.

For me, it's more the ability of the muso that's playing whatever instrument.
In the audience you don't see the brands.
Old 4th February 2013, 10:41 AM   #55
DeonC is offline DeonC  South Africa
diyAudio Member

One thing that has not been mentioned is the time it takes to develop a speaker. Lynn Olson has often stated that it takes a designer at least 6 months to properly dial in a speaker design. That amounts to a lot of costs in terms of building rental and other overheads, never mind the salary of a good designer like Lynn himself. I am sometimes surprised that the manufacturers selling 'cheaper' loudspeakers survive. You'd have to move. Quite a bit of volume to pay for R&D. That is also why something like the Ariel is such a bargain. If the Ariels had to sell commercially they would have been pretty expensive. We DIYers often forget the time it takes to finally dial in the sound, or some of us never really bother too. Now why speakers using a single fullrange driver of well-known source should cost so much is a bit beyond me.

Enjoy,
Deon
Old 4th February 2013, 11:57 AM   #56
diyAudio Member

Default Even top violinist's can't tell

Violinists can?t tell the difference between Stradivarius violins and new ones : Not Exactly Rocket Science

Quote:

Old 4th February 2013, 11:59 AM   #57
diyAudio Member

Yup - this is why you need to bling it up to make it eys candy enough...

The super rich in need to know it cost that much for it to be of an interest at all. value for money in our terms is simply not relevant, as you say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moondog55 View Post
I don't get angry it is simply that the "RICH" are a different species and live by different rules we mere mortals can only dream about. When you have a disposable income of a half billion dollars US a year a stereo for a mere $125000 is less than the interest you earn on your salary
Old 4th February 2013, 12:28 PM   #58
lolo is offline lolo  France
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moondog55 View Post
Mr Microsoft has such poor taste he probably listens to a Bose HTIAB system
this could be actually true. I work in yachting and believe me, these super toys are seriously underdeveloped when it comes to sound. Sure, they have all the latest gadgets you can imagine and in terms of comfort it's all great, everything is touch button and instant, but would you believe me if most large boats worth over 40 millions do use tiny.... bose speakers at best, very often just standard in ceiling ones? Rarely have I seen decent systems there, let alone high end, it's a rarity. I don't know, maybe on yachts everything has to be so slick so they keep their real system home..
Old 4th February 2013, 12:49 PM   #59
lolo is offline lolo  France
diyAudio Member

Quote:

in case of a violin, maybe yes, but a good concert piano is very expensive, but still cheaper than some so called "high end speakers". Do these speakers reach true constant directivity, distorsion below 0.5% at realistic volume for any frequency, decent phase response and linearity within at least 0.5db without resonances? They don't, that's why their price is not justified. Good speakers could, and probably should be more expensive, but 50.000$ or more? Give me a break. :-)
It's the same with wine, no wine on this planet whatever the quality cost more than 30$/bottle to be produced, all the rest is rarity, envy, placement strategy, ego flattering, etc etc etc..

And no, not everybody can make good instruments I am sorry. Ever played on a chinese or old soviet piano brand? I did. Try a Bosendorfer, a Petrof. Magic.

Running costs? Sure, probably. But on the other side you have guys like Linkwitz that can make great things at home, with no uber expensive equipment or facilities.
What a world..

Last edited by lolo; 4th February 2013 at 12:54 PM.
Old 4th February 2013, 01:24 PM   #60
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolo View Post
this could be actually true. I work in yachting and believe me, these super toys are seriously underdeveloped when it comes to sound. Sure, they have all the latest gadgets you can imagine and in terms of comfort it's all great, everything is touch button and instant, but would you believe me if most large boats worth over 40 millions do use tiny.... bose speakers at best, very often just standard in ceiling ones? Rarely have I seen decent systems there, let alone high end, it's a rarity. I don't know, maybe on yachts everything has to be so slick so they keep their real system home..
Microsofts co-founder Paul Allen has a number of boats and each contains a top-notch recording studio. He is also maintaing a band to play with when he feels like it and has a large collection of guitars used by Jimi Hendryx.

Probably no Bose on his boats!

Hide this!Advertise here!