Why hi-end speakers are so expensive? Only Bill Gate$ has hi-end at home?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
yards that build yachts

Just the superyacht (>100ft) industry here is good for 10,000 jobs at 12 yards. Average length of 170ft, half a million dollar the feet.
Part of the owners and/or ceo's of those twelve I consider old friends.
Development of several cost-saving innovations in commercial shipping is part paid for by UHNWI's.

A picture of Mr. Abramovich's no1 yacht in dry dock :
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/07/20/article-2016652-0925BA7A000005DC-942_468x656.jpg

Has the looks of the hull of a commercial freighter.
Which is not surprising. During the time my old professor was head designer at Blohm & Voss where Roman's toy was built, it was a commercial vessel yard that occasionally built something for the German navy.

The knuckles in the bow are not hard chines, and positioned too high for lifting the hull out of the water.
May help some with slamming, but mainly cosmetic.
The max speed of the superyacht is at 85% of displacement speed, so it doesn't need semi-planing aids anyway.
Basically means the vessel will handle as a commercial vessel, not a yacht.
Aka, Mr Abramovich is moving himself around in a megafreighter.

Not that he will feel ripped off, all of his targets are met, primary one is to prevent his head of being severed from a fraudulous body.

Last edited:
Basically means the vessel will handle as a commercial vessel, not a yacht.
Aka, Mr Abramovich is moving himself around in a megafreighter.

The hull speed of a private jet is around 500 knots, so I don't think these owners worry too much about how fast their mobile mansions go. From what I see in the season at Newport, Rhode Island, they rarely leave the dock. So the commercial basis, which also gives a hull good for ocean crossings so it can go to all the interesting and fun Xanadus of the world, makes some sense, if there is any sense in such a vessel.

There are a few megayachts capable of breaking 60knots--most seem to be named for James Bond movies. Even by mega-millionaire standards, that game gets expensive because you end up with gas turbines in a CODOG/CODAG powerplant, and at 300' plus you'd be looking at something comparable in many ways to a modern NATO warship, with running costs to match. Mr. Abramovich may be able to afford a small private army, but a navy is a whole new level of cost :)

You just described the propulsion of Azzam.
Gasturbines in a hybrid configuration are becoming increasingly popular.

(From a newsflash a couple of days ago, I gathered Mr Staluppi is ready for a new JB special from NL. Keeping low profile this time round)

As this thread is about loudspeakers : a lot of the innovations in the top of the line range trickle down to consumer priced models.
SOTA loudspeakers with mega price tags also serve as image builders, excellent value for money in PR terms.

(as e.g. Mr Staluppi was for Heesen yachts, coincidentally a yard I feel somewhat passionate about. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ona-RhLfRfc)

Gasturbines in a hybrid configuration are becoming increasingly popular.

If you start going all-electric I could see that. Gas turbines are very good at high power-to-weight ratio, but they like a relatively high and constant shaft speed. I see newer cruise ships being built with a bunch of smaller diesels driving generators rather than a prime mover and genset for hotel power.

As this thread is about loudspeakers : a lot of the innovations in the top of the line range trickle down to consumer priced models.
SOTA loudspeakers with mega price tags also serve as image builders, excellent value for money in PR terms.

This makes some sense, it's not unlike what car companies do with racing and "halo" models. But that draws less hate because while the car improvements are often not (legally) usable for street driving, their existence and benefit is a physically-provable phenomenon--it's undeniable that today's cars provide vastly higher levels of performance* than those of even ten years ago. Meanwhile, the audio enhancements often smell so much like snake oil and astrology.

* Dodge just posted a video of the stock 2015 Challenger Hellcat breaking 200mph (320kmph). No pricing yet, but probably under $75K, and it gets 22mpg highway. Common family cars have >200HP and <10sec 0-60 and mileage in the high 20s or better. Not to mention much more comfortable and massively safer in a crash. Almost all uglier, though!

This is the System 1... the difference is that it worths. :)

UXxVsdm.jpg

Remember that this is the biggest and the best!
Now, let's change the venue a bit:

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10152740548704833&fref=nf

Best Regards,
TerryO

Fact of life, why continue to upset yourself by it ?
Might as well get irritated by multi-$K (butt ugly) design cell phones with outdated specs by guys who suck on the heritage of their supercar manufacturer dad.

I dont give a s... to these people that buy this kind of expensive equipment, what really **** me off is the audiophoolery thing, guys that speaks as they are the almighty winsdom bible of the audio and do not show minimal eletronic knowledge.

Recently I posted an audiophoolery new postulate that is circulating in a famous brazillian forum now, the guys are telling that using the internal hard disk of the digital source gives more "air", "separation in the instruments", "lower noise floor" than if we use the data from an external hd or via streaming... totally nonsense. :crazy::crazy::crazy:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digi...a-wi-fi-vs-internal-makes-any-difference.html

There are some loudspeakers that use pro sound parts that add up to $3K and have boxes that use real quality wood and take 200 man hours of truly skilled labor to look nice if that we're added up and multiplied by 5 $50K might be low.

Being a Diyer since the early 80s I can tell you I easily have $2K in labor into my projects plus $2.5K in parts. But I love every minute of building and every minute of listening.

There are some loudspeakers that use pro sound parts that add up to $3K and have boxes that use real quality wood and take 200 man hours of truly skilled labor to look nice if that we're added up and multiplied by 5 $50K might be low.

Being a Diyer since the early 80s I can tell you I easily have $2K in labor into my projects plus $2.5K in parts. But I love every minute of building and every minute of listening.

This is what I just need to hear. A opinion from a real DIY.

I did some diy projects with these drivers but none of them really impressed me.

They are used in some of the best speakers.

Maybe it's something with the crossovers, the tweeter crossing at 2khz is IMHO very low, and these scanspeaker mid-bass 8531 do not work well above 3.5khz, that's why I prefer the vintage speakers sound, JBL used to cross the 077 at 8khz, and the bass drivers at 800 or 1300.

Maybe these drivers and others of Denmark need something that I don't know, Dynaudio is one that I never liked the kind of sound, so tell me where I'm missing!

I was wondering if I can use these 2 different scanspeak tweeters in a kind of tweeter-supertweeter way, like JBL did, a revelator at 2khz and crossed to a illuminator at 8khz, this can be an intersting design and also, unique.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.