Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Timber Boxes
Timber Boxes
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th February 2013, 01:22 AM   #11
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

Timber Boxes
Interesting how fine furniture manufacturers frown on plywood or mdf and it seems the pieces are built to last (and can last hundreds of years with proper care). Although they do warn about allowing furniture to acclimatise and using a humidifier in winter to prevent warpage.
Old 4th February 2013, 02:42 AM   #12
gassit is offline gassit  Australia
diyAudio Member

Having come back to woodworking after a 20-year lapse, it's good to be able to feel real wood and not have to worry about all those extra steps like veneering, for example. Also curves area lot easier and a more tactile experience (especially with a spokeshave).
Old 4th February 2013, 02:43 AM   #13
gassit is offline gassit  Australia
diyAudio Member

Make that "are a".
Old 4th February 2013, 03:22 AM   #14
KMossman is offline KMossman  China
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to KMossman Timber Boxes
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieboy View Post
the wood was obviously cut into small strips to eliminate any stress wood, and to ensure conformity, then glued.
yep, if I was going to do a solid wood cabinet, that's the trick.

Wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy back in 1974 I built a coffee table - top was laminated strips of mahogany (yes, I made it) and it has been 'stable' [to my eye] since.

My preference would be wood strips on a MDF base......................tough to do right, though.
Old 4th February 2013, 04:55 AM   #15
prairieboy is offline prairieboy  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrk971 View Post
Interesting how fine furniture manufacturers frown on plywood or mdf and it seems the pieces are built to last (and can last hundreds of years with proper care). Although they do warn about allowing furniture to acclimatise and using a humidifier in winter to prevent warpage.
True. They also design to allow wide expanses - table tops - to move without restriction across the grain. Wide cabinets may have solid panel sides, but the internal dividers (to support drawers etc) will be fixed in the front and allowed to 'float' at the read. Items with mouldings that appear on three sides will be fixed across the front where the grain matches the grain of the rail, but will 'float' along the sides because the cross grain of the sides will counteract the long grain of the moulding. Solid wood is lovely stuff (I have a work shop with a large quantity stored), but you have to know what you're doing when you work with it or you will be disappointed.

Timber BoxesHide this!Advertise here!