SIMPLE QUESTION: Can a 10" woofer give me the same bass of a 15" one?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2003
Paid Member
"same bass"

No one seems to be talking about sonic charateristics . I will take many smaller woofers over larger ones(but not all) for the pitch definition and speed but I have heard larger ones that sounded organic without congestion or one note sound(ie)Edgarhorn seismic subwoofer with 18" woofer

"same bass"

No one seems to be talking about sonic charateristics . I will take many smaller woofers over larger ones(but not all) for the pitch definition and speed but I have heard larger ones that sounded organic without congestion or one note sound(ie)Edgarhorn seismic subwoofer with 18" woofer

I most certainly was talking about sound! See a few posts above.

Now THAT is an interesting curve ball you have introduced. :D

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I most certainly was talking about sound! See a few posts above.:D

Sorry, you're right!

I think my post could be misread.. Edgarhorn Seismic Sub Characterists, I feel are really attractive. Lots of definition, go very Low, exremely high sensitivity, Huge in the room bass presence but more toward warm sound..But, I couldnt imagine how to integrate with a apeaker for 2 channel music..

Thinking about Sub for descrete 5.1, the sub with NHT XD would work very well for me.. Smallish cabinet and woofers that had large and effortless sonic impact that filled the room..
Now I wish I could diy a sub like NHT with associated digital electronics to make it work all for a low price.:confused:

Joined 2003
Paid Member
hi Rui, excellent response for a 10 inch, the problem is the low 84.6dB... there is always a problem.

Maybe I was going on about sonics but your original post was simply asking about Low Frequency Bass reproduction..

"problem is the low 84.6dB... there is always a problem."

Are you saying you have a in room problem somewhere in the bass region?

My room had a big peak at 90hz and smaller peak at 45hz plus a huge 12db cancellation in between that sucked the life out of Large amplifiers as try to raise volume to feel bass is balanced with no possible way of getting there..

Room is all fixed now with room treatments and my power amps have gotten smaller(6-15w) and have balance and lots of volume..

Cheers, Joel

Maybe I was going on about sonics but your original post was simply asking about Low Frequency Bass reproduction..

"problem is the low 84.6dB... there is always a problem."

Are you saying you have a in room problem somewhere in the bass region?

My room had a big peak at 90hz and smaller peak at 45hz plus a huge 12db cancellation in between that sucked the life out of Large amplifiers as try to raise volume to feel bass is balanced with no possible way of getting there..

Room is all fixed now with room treatments and my power amps have gotten smaller(6-15w) and have balance and lots of volume..

Cheers, Joel

yes Joel, I discovered that the problem is caused by room modes, I also opeed another thread asking how to solve room modes problems. Thx for your help.

Hmmm - For high SPL, deep bass 20Hz upto 100Hz try a pair of tapped horns.
What's not to like... 15" for me - everytime.
12" would go pretty low though to be fair. 18" would be sub hearing but need a 9' tall enclosure and not reach up to the rest of the system freq wise - common sense prevailed.

15" in throat
tapped2.jpg

The horn
tapped3.jpg

One ready
tappedbracing.jpg

Bass should be fast and tight, deep and LOUD when when playing thunder! These pressurize a room - even a very big room to give you reasonable church organ playback
experience.
I had folk at Scalford show requesting I play Tocata (D minor), once word had gone around how they sounded in the big room - hehe.
Efficiency 105dB/w. Max cone excursion at at 0.9mm at 30Hz (modelled in Hornresp)
Play nice and flat to 20Hz measured.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.