The Basilar Membrane and Crossover Distortion - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd February 2013, 02:57 PM   #31
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolo View Post
I did register but the download does not go through.
Did you get the notification email ok?.....is it in your spam box?
Old 3rd February 2013, 03:07 PM   #32
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barleywater View Post
Basilar membrane has nothing to do with creating the variations in sound pressure over time occurring in the ear canal.

All discussion here is about how well speaker system is at performing as single source or as multiple source across desired bandwidth. Effective driver diameter, driver spacing and crossover choices are controlling variables. When effective acoustic centers of drivers remains below 1/4 wavelength of radiating frequency the drivers resolve as single source. When speaker system behaves as multiple source, lobing happens, and reflections become multi-path, breaking up timbrel and harmonic coherence, leading brain to work on weather reflection is part of existing source information stream, or start of a new information stream.

Above a few kHz, lobing may be very intense, but inconsequential do to head shadow dominating directional determination.

Hierarchy of directional cues is HF processed first. As lower frequency information decodes from basilar membrane, brain looks for association to higher harmonic content.

This follows physics; the closer two frequencies are, the longer the beat they form, and the longer a Fourier analysis it takes to resolve them.

Causal nature of sound production guarantees harmonic content. So localization cues from large bass source start with harmonics.

When a low frequency decode occurs that doesn't associate with existing HF decodes, source is interpreted as more distant/lower priority. Likewise HF decode with no LF follow up is interpreted as small source, typically less threatening.

Most sounds are identifiable with <3ms of source (opening transient), including direction and size. Lower brain is responding to direction and size long before frontal cortex comes up with "flute", "bee", or "lion".

Continuation of a source beyond 3ms up to about 50ms contributes primarily to interpretation of loudness. Much beyond this time frame effects are interpreted as reverberant or echo.

Use of crossover slopes below 24dB/oct is a waste of driver performance. Doing it passively using modern drivers produces speakers sounding no better than speakers from the 50's, 60's and 70's using drivers of similar diameter and moving mass.
Thanks for your views.
Despite the fact I did already know how lobing works but the refresser course was welcome.
Use of crossover slopes below 24dB/oct is a waste of driver performance. Doing it passively using modern drivers produces speakers sounding no better than speakers from the 50's, 60's and 70's using drivers of similar diameter and moving mass.
I don't agree with the above but each to his or her own. I am not a fan of those high order crossovers personally, but I wouldn't ever that any other method was a waste of driver performance. Sometimes it can be horses for courses.

Cheers Ian
Old 3rd February 2013, 03:27 PM   #33
lolo is offline lolo  France
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanKnight View Post
Did you get the notification email ok?.....is it in your spam box?

got the link yes and from there, just a blank page.
Old 3rd February 2013, 03:48 PM   #34
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Ok...I will test it...but everyone else that has subscribed has got it ok ...
Cheers Ian
Old 3rd February 2013, 03:59 PM   #35
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Everything tested and working fine!....not sure why you got a blank page though?
Old 3rd February 2013, 06:53 PM   #36
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanKnight View Post
Ok...I will test it...but everyone else that has subscribed has got it ok ...
Cheers Ian
Ian,

All I got was a PDF labeled
"Where to start
Understanding
Phase Beating
Loudspeakers"

Which contained 14 pages explaining equal loudness contours, and nothing regarding "Phase Beating" loudspeakers, whatever they may be.

Do they sound better when wearing a wife beater ?

Art
Old 4th February 2013, 06:58 AM   #37
AllenB is offline AllenB  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The page comes through when the link is corrected. No registration is required.

I notice that no mention was made of the correlation between a piston and a point source as it applies to a woofer.
Old 4th February 2013, 08:19 AM   #38
lolo is offline lolo  France
diyAudio Member

change computers and still nothing through the registration, but I got it from the link, yes. Can't seem to find what new thing is there??
Old 4th February 2013, 10:01 AM   #39
diyAudio Member

As far as I can see based on this thread (I haven't had chance to look elsewhere), it seems to be an advocating taking a 1st order HP / LP & pulling them apart by x amount to introduce a large dip in the midband FR / power response. Shades of the so-called Solen-split variation on 1st order, where they've put the XO at the -6dB rather than the -3dB frequency, except there the object isn't really to cause a dip & what there is is relatively small, all other things being equal ~1.5dB.
Old 4th February 2013, 10:13 AM   #40
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenB View Post

There is a lot of wonderment inside a piano This is surely a field where art is valid and even encouraged.

May I ask about the strings that are made with nested coil-overs, whether their mechanical complexity is responsible for producing the non-harmonically related overtones?
My understanding is that the inharmonic property comes from the stiffness of the string. The ideal string would have distributed mass and will keep tension but not have stiffness. The stiffnes makes the overtones slightly sharp.

Overwraped bass strings are used to achieve much higher mass per length than the steel strings have. I think they have more flex than a fat steel string would have, perhaps for the same reason.

David S

Hide this!Advertise here!