DPL12 alias Titanic MKII? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th November 2003, 10:58 PM   #1
amt is offline amt  United States
diyAudio Member

Default DPL12 alias Titanic MKII?

Ive been looking into drivers for dipole subs and noticed upon close inspection, that the frames, binding posts, and magnet structure look identical on these Adire/Dayton models. The specs are almost exactly the same as well except for a 4db difference in efficiency with aprox 5hz difference in Fs. Im guessing Eminence actually manufactures them. Are these the same driver and if so, any reason to pick one over the other (4db is a good one if thats accurate)?

amt
Old 18th November 2003, 11:01 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I have been wondering the same thing....
Old 19th November 2003, 12:03 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to ScottRHinson
Default Re: DPL12 alias Titanic MKII?

Quote:
Originally posted by amt
Ive been looking into drivers for dipole subs and noticed upon close inspection, that the frames, binding posts, and magnet structure look identical on these Adire/Dayton models. The specs are almost exactly the same as well except for a 4db difference in efficiency with aprox 5hz difference in Fs. Im guessing Eminence actually manufactures them. Are these the same driver and if so, any reason to pick one over the other (4db is a good one if thats accurate)?

amt

Well, that 5Hz difference is roughly 22.5% lower in Fs, 4dB is quite a bit lower in sensitivity indicating the moving mass is substantially heavier on the DPL12. I really doubt they are the same...

With drivers the frame, binding posts and magnet structure appearance can be quite misleading. There is a wide variety of options for the top plate, pole piece, bottom plate, voice coil winding, voice coil layers, voice coil material, spider material,surround material...etc that may not be evident from pictures available on the web.

That said, both Adire and Parts Express provide wonderful products and wonderful service.

Scott
Old 19th November 2003, 12:21 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default Ask Dan Wiggins

or one of the others at Adire via e-mail. I'd be interested in what the differences are too.

techsupport@adireaudio.com
Old 19th November 2003, 12:48 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

http://www.mfk-projects.com/woofer_data.htm

Old 19th November 2003, 12:59 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Bear in mind that a lot of drivers are made with off-the-shelf parts manufactured behind the scenes. If frame number 0012-A5X is the cheapest cast frame on the market at a given time, then it's no surprise that more than one company might choose to use it. Ditto for cones, binding posts, etc.
I'm not saying that is the case here, just that it's a possibility.

Grey
Old 19th November 2003, 01:50 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

I believe the DPL12 is based on an Eminence prototype. It does have a higher MM than the Titanic and I believe the pole vent is different.

Whether Adire took over the manufacture I couldn't tell you.

Steve
Old 19th November 2003, 02:02 AM   #8
usekgb is offline usekgb  United States
diyAudio Member

I would venture a guess that Eminence makes both of these drivers. Eminence is the largest OEM loudspeaker manufacturer in the USA, an you would be surprised how many companies use Eminence OEM parts. I have found Eminence drivers in everything from Yamaha to Ampeg to EAW and everything in between.

Cheers,
Zach
Old 19th November 2003, 05:05 AM   #9
amt is offline amt  United States
diyAudio Member

Yep, Im sure they both use the same frame. Casting and machining a piece like that isnt cheap and not something to just do for the sake of uniqueness and not for $150.

Well they both have the same Qts but the DLP12 does have a DVC. That does make it a nice 8 ohm load w/ 2 drivers in parallel. The Titanic is a single 8 ohm so a 4ohm tolerant amp is needed.

All things being considered, the extra efficiency would be nice to have but not imperative.

The Fs on the Adire is actually 16.3 vs. 22 on the Dayton. Is this lower Fs really needed since dipoles really run out of excursion below 30 anyway? Any advantage to DVC other than impedence options?

amt
Old 19th November 2003, 07:15 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

only sealed box woofers need ultra low Fs

a ported box woofer LIKE the dpl12 or shiva,with Fs=30hz would be fine for me...not everone wants a 19hz Fb for HT

Hide this!Advertise here!