DPL12 alias Titanic MKII?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ive been looking into drivers for dipole subs and noticed upon close inspection, that the frames, binding posts, and magnet structure look identical on these Adire/Dayton models. The specs are almost exactly the same as well except for a 4db difference in efficiency with aprox 5hz difference in Fs. Im guessing Eminence actually manufactures them. Are these the same driver and if so, any reason to pick one over the other (4db is a good one if thats accurate)?

amt

amt said:
Ive been looking into drivers for dipole subs and noticed upon close inspection, that the frames, binding posts, and magnet structure look identical on these Adire/Dayton models. The specs are almost exactly the same as well except for a 4db difference in efficiency with aprox 5hz difference in Fs. Im guessing Eminence actually manufactures them. Are these the same driver and if so, any reason to pick one over the other (4db is a good one if thats accurate)?

amt

Well, that 5Hz difference is roughly 22.5% lower in Fs, 4dB is quite a bit lower in sensitivity indicating the moving mass is substantially heavier on the DPL12. I really doubt they are the same...

With drivers the frame, binding posts and magnet structure appearance can be quite misleading. There is a wide variety of options for the top plate, pole piece, bottom plate, voice coil winding, voice coil layers, voice coil material, spider material,surround material...etc that may not be evident from pictures available on the web.

That said, both Adire and Parts Express provide wonderful products and wonderful service.

Scott

Bear in mind that a lot of drivers are made with off-the-shelf parts manufactured behind the scenes. If frame number 0012-A5X is the cheapest cast frame on the market at a given time, then it's no surprise that more than one company might choose to use it. Ditto for cones, binding posts, etc.
I'm not saying that is the case here, just that it's a possibility.

Grey

I would venture a guess that Eminence makes both of these drivers. Eminence is the largest OEM loudspeaker manufacturer in the USA, an you would be surprised how many companies use Eminence OEM parts. I have found Eminence drivers in everything from Yamaha to Ampeg to EAW and everything in between.

Cheers,
Zach

Yep, Im sure they both use the same frame. Casting and machining a piece like that isnt cheap and not something to just do for the sake of uniqueness and not for $150.

Well they both have the same Qts but the DLP12 does have a DVC. That does make it a nice 8 ohm load w/ 2 drivers in parallel. The Titanic is a single 8 ohm so a 4ohm tolerant amp is needed.

All things being considered, the extra efficiency would be nice to have but not imperative.

The Fs on the Adire is actually 16.3 vs. 22 on the Dayton. Is this lower Fs really needed since dipoles really run out of excursion below 30 anyway? Any advantage to DVC other than impedence options?

amt

(4db is a good one if thats accurate)?
I dont trust manufacturers to tell the truth here.

i would buy both,and measure,or see some ones results who has done this.

:D

4db more efficiency is rather handy;)

DVC is my opinion is a waste of blody time

ok so i have a twin 8ohm VC

great!

4ohm load(same as a normal 4ohm speaker)

or if i want to wire up ONE for -3db efficiency i can do that! very un handy!!!

oh wait i can wire them in series too!!yay! ...:eek:

everyone has 4ohm amps these days

i suppose there is RDO for IBs...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.