Mounting an RD50

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2008
I have to admit I wasn't overwhelmed by the RD50. I tried some side baffles like StigErik, but couldn't get the the sound as natural as I am getting from my Orion clones, or from my test baffle with the Neo10s and Neo3s.

There was a forwardness that EQ didn't eliminate even though they measured pretty flat.

Try to tilt the response down..... it should do the trick.

I have found that the RD75's are very sensitive to EQ. Just a slight adjustment will change the sound very much.

Stig;
If you have tried it, can you please share with us the results? (have you already posted them on your thread?)
Am I remembering it correctly that you have used pipe isolation foam for rounding the edges as well?
I have seen two sizes of pipe isolation foam; larger one is about 2" diameter. What size rounding are you using?
And finally, what would be the difference between a 4" wide flat wing vs. 4" diameter circular wing? (in terms of FR and off axis behaviour)
In theory, circular wing should smooth out some of the baffle step. And if it is big enough, it should smooth out most of it.

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
I have some measurements, if that is what you are asking for?

Yes, I used foam tube pipe insulation to make the rounded edges. Outer diameter is 40 mm or so. I tried different sizes, and the one with approx the same size as the driver itself gave the best measured result. I also found it was very important to use tape to cover the gap between the tube and the driver.

If you mean a wing with rounded egde, I did try that with no improvement at all.

Ok, thanks Stig.
I just saw your thread on your baffle experiments.
You have placed the pipe foams so that they are flush with the front plate.
In that case, the front and back FR and radiation won't be same.
I am more interested in placing the foam right at the center.
So that the cross section looks like a dumbbell and front vs back reponse is same.
This would have a symmetrical waveguide function too.
And this waveguide can be made small or big depending on what we want to achieve.

I'm new to the forum. I've done some basic technician work on Mcintosh ML-1
using Roger Russell' crossover upgrade and rebuilding the surrounds and have a fundamental idea of what to expect out of different speaker designs and what I like to hear after recently upgrading components on Magnapan mg-12 and have
had fun tweeking the crossover..
I'm considering building a speaker system using a Bohlener RD50 line array . Has anyone heard the RD50 designed in a three way design such as the ' Colossi' in parts-express projects . The problem I see with this design is Mid-bass heavy and it looks like it can get into that region Lynn Olson calls the 'Dark Area' of multi speaker systems of polar lobes , phase dropouts and harsh acoustic anomalies . Especially since it was designed on a short schedule.

From reading the write-up of the Colossi, it seems it was meant to showcase a design rather than be listened to.

Given my experience, I'd be wary about using the RD50 in such a setup. Maybe a monopole is different. The RD75 would seem to be a better choice.

That said, a couple of chaps at htguide have built similar systems and seem quite happy. Here's one.

http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?t=36874

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.