Mounting an RD50 - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd February 2013, 05:03 PM   #11
lolo is offline lolo  France
diyAudio Member

that's the reason why I haven't pulled the trigger yet. Line sources shift image size depending on distance, so you have to choose your spot. Shame as the RD serie does sound very clean. How does the Neo 10/3 combo perform vs the Orion? I guess you can always try with the Excel medium and cross around 500hz..
Old 3rd February 2013, 03:09 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

The Neo10/3 combined with the W22 sounds very good.
Old 6th February 2013, 09:02 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

I've experimented a little with the wide baffle I showed a few posts ago. The only advantage is better efficiency below 1 kHz. The rest is simply worse; frequency response, off-axis response, impulse response and sound quality.

In my opinion you get the best from a RD75 as a nude dipole with rounded edges only. And it should be listened to in the near field.
Old 6th February 2013, 11:31 PM   #14
gworrel is offline gworrel  United States
diyAudio Member

That is interesting. Did you experiment at all with different width baffles?

I have been considering some changes to my setup. I bought 16 Dayton Audio RS-225s to use as a midbass on an open baffle (8 per side) next to the RD-75. I have been considering buying a large number of the tweeters used in Don Keele's constant beamwidth array to use as a tweeter array on the high end. CBT36 Line Array Speaker Kit Pair 301-980

The tweeter is here: 1/2" Dome Tweeter Element 10 Pcs. 275-010

I was considering putting 8 RS-225s, the RD75, and 84 1/2" inverted dome tweeters on a single baffle of perhaps 24" width (61cm).

Playing around with the EDGE program seems to produce the smoothest response with a very narrow baffle. One alternative could be a baffle with a very large roundover which also seems to produce a smooth response.

My listening position is about 3.5 meters away. I have a second row which is at about 5.5 meters. I find the highs definitely drop off when out of the sweet spot. I use the system for both music and home theater and want to accommodate guests even though most of the listening is done solo.

Using the 8" midwoofers will allow me to use my 15" TC Sounds woofers as subwoofers and raise the crossover frequency to the RD75. I am hopeful that the array of tweeters will give better response throughout the room in the high frequencies. The price is right on the tweeters but I am a little uncertain because the tweeters are not dipole so I will lose that aspect of the RD-75 above the crossover frequency to the tweeters. Not sure if that matters.
Old 7th February 2013, 04:39 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

I have to admit I wasn't overwhelmed by the RD50. I tried some side baffles like StigErik, but couldn't get the the sound as natural as I am getting from my Orion clones, or from my test baffle with the Neo10s and Neo3s.

There was a forwardness that EQ didn't eliminate even though they measured pretty flat.
Old 7th February 2013, 05:51 AM   #16
gworrel is offline gworrel  United States
diyAudio Member

I was not really happy with the sound of the RD75s until I dialed in a decidedly non-flat response curve. Similar to what they discuss here: House curve: What it is, why you need it, how to do it! - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

I use a DBX driverack PA for EQ. I am sure the full height bass array I am using helps. The rd75 is also full height floor to ceiling in my room. It sounds so good I am almost afraid to change it. Of course StigErik's bass setup is the stuff of legends.

It would be interesting to compare to the Orions. I think that once you get to a certain level of quality, details of EQ and the room can make a huge difference. I am sure it is partially a placebo sense that bigger is better, but it is hard for me to imagine a small system like the Orion sounding as good as these 6 foot tall monstrosities.

I would like to make surround speakers with the neo series. To keep the cost down, I was considering perhaps a neo8 paired with an rs225 using the minidsp as crossover.
Old 7th February 2013, 09:58 AM   #17
zmyrna is offline zmyrna  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I am experimenting with waveguides for Neo3.
It makes a huge difference (better).
Next I will try attaching cylinders on each side.
I have 2" diameter pipe isolation and 3" poster tubes to try.
Someone who has the drivers should try a 4-5" cylindrical baffle on each side of RDs.
Old 7th February 2013, 10:00 AM   #18
zmyrna is offline zmyrna  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Stig;
In your case, you may even try larger diameter cylinders.
Old 7th February 2013, 10:07 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmyrna View Post
Stig;
In your case, you may even try larger diameter cylinders.
I have. Did not improve anything....
Old 7th February 2013, 10:09 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gworrel View Post
That is interesting. Did you experiment at all with different width baffles?
Yes I did. I also tested single-side baffles.

All baffles produced bad frequency response and off-axis response. The best overall result was obtained using small rounded edges only.

Hide this!Advertise here!