diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Multi-Way (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/)
-   -   alnico units by JBL (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/228911-alnico-units-jbl.html)

bebo60 29th January 2013 12:56 PM

alnico units by JBL

Hi,
I'm talking about JBL... what is the visible difference between an alnico and a not alnico woofer, tweeter?

tinitus 29th January 2013 01:17 PM

very often Alnico's are covered with a cup
mostly, if people could see the magnet, they wouldn't buy it
I guess its the reason to cover it with a cup :D

but if the magnet is visible it will be longer, with smaller diameter
ferrite magnets are flat and wide diameter

speaker dave 29th January 2013 02:43 PM

Most of the Alnico woofers have a cast iron pot structure on the rear. the Alnico ring is a cylinder inside the voice coil and the magnet circuit is finished by the pot. It (the pot)was smaller in diameter and smooth, with a blue grey or black crackle paint finish.

Ferrite magnets have a visible ferrite ring (looks like ceramic or dull gray glass) as the widest diameter element. Most units have it hidden under a rubber tire as it has sharp edges and looks less elegant. Those units also have a die cast back plate rather than a full cup.

I assume you are looking for ferrite versions due to their lower distortion and freedom from high power demagnetization!

David S.

tinitus 29th January 2013 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by speaker dave (Post 3347206)
.... the Alnico ring is a cylinder inside the voice coil ....

I thought that would only be used on very small drivers, and older vintage drivers like the ones used in televisons etc
with the magnet inside the voicecoil I reckon they would definately be high Qts drivers :confused:

bebo60 29th January 2013 02:50 PM

thaks both for fast replay... so why the alnico units seems to be the most wanted despite higher distortion and they are subjects to demagnetization? I know alnico was used in the vary past when amplifiers had few watts.

speaker dave 29th January 2013 02:52 PM

Why indeed? Just another one of the audiophile myths.

I think some people like the sound of a partially demagnetized speaker, you know, more bass from a D130.

David S.

tinitus 29th January 2013 02:54 PM

the older vintage drivers probably sounds much better with alnico magnets because they were designed for that
when they tried to mount the same driver with ferrite it didn't seem to work so well
a few more tricks were needed

bebo60 29th January 2013 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by speaker dave (Post 3347220)
Why indeed? Just another one of the audiophile myths.

I think some people like the sound of a partially demagnetized speaker, you know, more bass from a D130.

David S.

:D I had this feeling...

tinitus 29th January 2013 02:59 PM

yeah, its for 'enthusiasts' mostly

bebo60 29th January 2013 03:01 PM

Thanks..... on diyaudio I always find the answers...