X-over Help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello to all, I am new to speaker building and this forum. I am designing a pr of woof/tw/woof speakers. I have 2 questions, 1)When designing the Zobel for woofer imp correction is one used on each woofer or is just one used? None of the online design tools discuss paralel woofers. 2) when using 2 woofers, is the sensitivity raised by 3db. The sensitivity of 1 woofer is 85 and the tweeter is 94, so an L-pad will also have to be designed. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Hi spkrmaker007, I've moved your question to it's own thread.

1) just consider your two woofers (paralleled I assume) as being a single speaker with 1/2 the impedance and design the zobel based on that.

2) if you use two woofers in parallel, then you get a theoretical 3db increase due to the extra surface area, and an additional 3db theoretical increase due to the impedance being halved (at half the impedance the amp can deliver more current but virtually no amps can deliver twice the current into half the impedance).

Say you get a 5 db increase from paralleling (this is just for example), you will now have about 90db on the woofers and 94 on the tweeter. It may seem you need 4db of cut on the tweeter, but there is another aspect you need to take into consideration, and that is the baffle step (do a search on it).

If you need to add in say 3db of baffle step compensation then you will actually have a 7db difference between the tweeter and the woofers.

Tony.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.