diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Multi-Way (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/)
-   -   Horn/waveguids (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/228844-horn-waveguids.html)

Hylle 28th January 2013 04:51 PM

Horn/waveguids

I would like some recommendations from experienced Horn/waveguid/compressiondriver users. I have a 400Hz Tractrix horn today, with B&C DE25-8 driver. i would like some more dispersion and natural highfrequences.

I have been looking at the polish AutoTech horns, there is many types, OSWG, LeClearch variations, Iwata variations. I am confused whitch is best for me.

Can you, tell me what are the advantages and disadvantages of each type.
Have some one heard these types of horns, and how do they sound?

I know it is a lot to ask for, but a short answer will be appreciated a lot. Thanks!

badman 28th January 2013 04:53 PM

It is a lot to ask for. Really, you just need to take the time to read the threads discussing these horn types, one post won't cover it, and it's not reasonable to expect someone to spend hours pulling this together for you. From my perspective, the OSWG/constant directivity design school is where it's at.

whgeiger 28th January 2013 06:01 PM

TAD

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hylle (Post 3345966)
I would like some recommendations from experienced Horn/waveguid/compressiondriver users. I have a 400Hz Tractrix horn today, with B&C DE25-8 driver. i would like some more dispersion and natural highfrequences.

I have been looking at the polish AutoTech horns, there is many types, OSWG, LeClearch variations, Iwata variations. I am confused whitch is best for me.

Can you, tell me what are the advantages and disadvantages of each type.
Have some one heard these types of horns, and how do they sound?

I know it is a lot to ask for, but a short answer will be appreciated a lot. Thanks!

If you use a beryllium diaphragm drivers, such as the TAD TD2001 or TD2002 [1] in the horns you have, that may be a sufficient measure to meet your HF response objective. If you find that the horn dispersion remains narrow then replace the horns. I prefer the sectorial horns made from wood, example of which is included in the reference [2].
Regards,
WHG

[1] TAD Compression Drivers
High Frequency Driver?TAD
[2] Yuichi’s Audio Lab
Yuichi's Audio Lab.

POOH 28th January 2013 07:37 PM

The B&C DE35 tweeters should work fine for you.

Hylle 29th January 2013 08:33 AM

I hoped someone could give som listening experinces on some of the horn types, maybe someone had the chance to try several horns, maybe with the same driver

derwhalfisch 29th January 2013 09:29 AM

The 'horns' you listed have, as a group, little in common and all are designed for totally different objectives.

Speedysteve7 29th January 2013 11:50 AM

I can only comment on my plywood conicals that I had JBL2435Be's on VS the Cube Audio (also from Poland) 600Hz horn (Tractrix).
I had evolved the 21mm birch plywood conical with a rounded mouth termination that improved things over the straight ended.

The cube audio horn is small - I run it from 1.25KHz and up and it fitted physically into my 5 way stack better. It also sounded slightly more dynamic and natural.

I have tried my Vitavox S2 on the 600Hz horn also. I need the pair (my other S2 is in for service) to properly develop and evaluate.

So that is a very little bit. Getting the right sized horns for the freq is first rule.

Tractrix vs Le cleach. Well in a 5 way (4 upper horns in a stack) Le cleach on all but the smallest horn is out of the question... Unless you have palace high ceilings and can sit a very long way away.
My take on it is that Le Cleach horns can run wider frequency ranges so you could try to do a 3 way or 4 way with more success than with say tractrix. If running a 3 way / 4 way or 5 way is the best I won't discuss here. Depends on horns, drivers etc etc etc.

Me I have a 5 way...
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi...oy-system.html

Kim Schultz 12th February 2014 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hylle (Post 3345966)
I would like some more dispersion and natural highfrequences.

I have made both a wooden radial 400hz tractrix horn, wooden 400hz round tractrix horn and a 35cm diameter wooden 90 degree OSWG.

If you are willing to spend the time to adjust your crossover for the OSWG, then you get the most natural sound from that horn in my opinion.

But you can't just switch horns and keep the same crossover, and the OSWG should usually be crossed over higher than the tractrix horn.

Regards
Kim

Hylle 12th February 2014 10:44 AM

Hi Kim.

My Horn setup works frequency wise fantastic, but around 7-7,5KHz The compressiondriver sounds harsh, as we all know too well for PA/Concerts, I have thyed a lot, but It wouldt go away.
I Dont have much experinve with compressiondrivers, but they are build very alike, so I tend to think they also sounds alike?
The B&C compressiondriver have a fairly good reputation I belive.
My thoughts now, are that it is by fare not optimally to let a dome blay though som small channels, that is basicly what a compressiondriver are. It must give strong resonances. Compare it with a lot of small basreflex channels sound is played though....

POOH 12th February 2014 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hylle (Post 3816547)
Hi Kim.

My Horn setup works frequency wise fantastic, but around 7-7,5KHz The compressiondriver sounds harsh, as we all know too well for PA/Concerts, I have thyed a lot, but It wouldt go away.

I think that's the older version of the 250 driver and i agree they sound harsh and unnatural if they sound like the 250. Your horn is fine, either get a real tweeter like Ciare 1.38 or B&C De35 and crossover arpund 5k like I already recommended or upgrade the driver to something like a Celestion with an aluminum dome.