high efficency 5" midrange - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th January 2013, 04:43 AM   #21
Account disabled at member's request

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacuphile View Post
At this size of mid-driver, you are bound to build a 4-way. Is that the intention?
Why?
Old 28th January 2013, 04:50 AM   #22
diyAudio Member

I'd hazard a guess, 15 or 18 inch bass driver below 80, 8 to 12 inch midbass driver, then the 5 inch from 250-300 to ~3k. Sounds like my perfect design if I had a large enough room, big enough budget and high WAF
Old 28th January 2013, 06:29 AM   #23
Account disabled at member's request

okay, but why not just use a 15 inch up to 300hz? isnt it better to have just one driver doing all the work so you have no phase issue or coherance?

damn, due to WAF situation, I couldnt go bigger then 12inch and 126 liter for the bass, I hope it will deliver enough bass...
Old 28th January 2013, 06:34 AM   #24
diyAudio Member

Read the Frankenstein becomes Cinderella thread for a discussion of the benefits of taking the bass to a separate driver, cleans up the mid bass and makes the whole reproduction cleaner
Old 28th January 2013, 07:06 AM   #25
just another
diyAudio Moderator

I'd be pretty pleased about being able to go to 126L with WAF being taken into consideration

Tony.
Old 28th January 2013, 07:33 AM   #26
ScottG is offline ScottG  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
I'd be pretty pleased about being able to go to 126L with WAF being taken into consideration

Tony.
Volume really isn't a limit - its form factor and your ability to *sell* it.

Perhaps the easiest way is with an in-wall design. Only a few DIY'ers seem to do that though.
Old 28th January 2013, 08:43 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

Thanks kind end expert guys!! :-)

The B&C and the faital seems to me a very good solution for my super 4 waqy!!

by,
Old 28th January 2013, 10:31 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphythecat8 View Post
Why?
Because it is best to have the drivers at xover display an identical radiation pattern. It is easy to see why.

Suppose a middriver that already is in the region where it starts to beam (above circumference of cone > 1 wavelength) crossed over to a tweeter (which at that frequency radiates in 4 pi). It will now only be possible to have a flat FR at one unique listening angle. At smaller listening angles, the middriver will tend to be too loud, and at larger angles it will become too soft in the crossover region. This is by the way the reason why in well designed two ways, the tweeter is mounted in a waveguide that ensures it has a radiation pattern at crossover that matches that of the midwoofer.

Please do the calculations yourself, and you will find that a 5 inch midrange has to be crossed over fairly low, and that you need another, smaller driver to cover the gap between the tweeter and the 5 inch midrange. Or, alternatively, you have to correct the radiation pattern of the tweeter with a waveguide to match that of the midrange. Not so easy to get right without an adequate measuring environment.
Old 28th January 2013, 10:36 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

I posted measurements of the Faital M5N12 here.
Old 28th January 2013, 11:43 AM   #30
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacuphile View Post
.....................Suppose a middriver that already is in the region where it starts to beam (above circumference of cone > 1 wavelength) crossed over to a tweeter (which at that frequency radiates in 4 pi). It will now only be possible to have a flat FR at one unique listening angle. At smaller listening angles, the middriver will tend to be too loud, and at larger angles it will become too soft in the crossover region. This is by the way the reason why in well designed two ways, the tweeter is mounted in a waveguide that ensures it has a radiation pattern at crossover that matches that of the midwoofer.

Please do the calculations yourself, and you will find that a 5 inch midrange has to be crossed over fairly low, and that you need another, smaller driver to cover the gap between the tweeter and the 5 inch midrange. Or, alternatively, you have to correct the radiation pattern of the tweeter with a waveguide to match that of the midrange. Not so easy to get right without an adequate measuring environment.
I have read this twice and I still don't get it.
Is this correct?

Hide this!Advertise here!