K-horn plans - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 28th January 2013, 05:07 PM   #11
Sadoinc is offline Sadoinc  Norway
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
It looks like I need to rethink my plans for a K-horn.
I created a simple model to see how much space they would take, and I have no room for them if I do not move a door
I have to look for something else to build, for example cornscala. It was a shame there was not enough space. Do not need new speakers, but saw this as a challenge

Does anyone have any suggestions for other speakers to build?
with regards,
Nils
  Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2013, 06:47 PM   #12
diyAudio Member
 
myhrrhleine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Avalon Island
K-horns are a very big project.
The speakerlab plans are for one half inch or 12.7mm
You will need to adapt them for 19mm.
I would recommend adding 19mm sheets to the walls at the corner to increase rigidity unless the walls are brick or concrete.
The proposed midhorn driver will work but it needs equalizing.
its designed for voice-PA so it is not very flat.
__________________
Just because you can't hear it doesn't mean no one can.
  Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2013, 07:50 PM   #13
DrBoar is offline DrBoar  Sweden
diyAudio Member
 
DrBoar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Stockholm
I am not saying that La Scal sound good up to 1200 Hz but it does have output way above the predicted mass roll off frequency. (This driver has about 150Hz as mass roll off)

Blue curve a classic bass driver Fr 30 Hz Q 0.4 the green curve a Beyma horn driver Fr>60 Hz and Q of 0.2 so that one has a mass roll of at 600 Hz in theory
Click the image to open in full size.
It has slam but not the depth of the corner horns.

Last edited by DrBoar; 28th January 2013 at 07:53 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2013, 08:14 PM   #14
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Pensacola, Florida
Default ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadoinc View Post
It looks like I need to rethink my plans for a K-horn.
I created a simple model to see how much space they would take, and I have no room for them if I do not move a door
I have to look for something else to build, for example cornscala. It was a shame there was not enough space. Do not need new speakers, but saw this as a challenge

Does anyone have any suggestions for other speakers to build?
with regards,
Nils
If you just change the door to open out would that be sufficient solution?

WHG
  Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2013, 02:29 AM   #15
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Knoxville, TN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadoinc View Post
The Jubilee might be an option, but if I remember right, it`s a lot bigger than the K-horn.
The Jubilee has essentially the same footprint as the Klipschorn. Yes in absolute terms the Jubilee is bigger but that's because the back is enclosed and brings the sound back around to the front.

The Khorn instead, simply fires into the corner.

Once you put them BOTH into a proper corner, the Juiblee does NOT infringe any more into the room than the Khorn does (well, maybe not much more)

My memory says the Jubilee needs about 36 inches, about 1 meter, from the corner. This might be a couple inches more than the Khorn.

What makes the Juiblee appear so outlandishly huge is that (wonderful) huge horn on top of it.

Having heard that huge horn (K402) on top of the Jubilee as well as on top of a LaScala and a MWM and atop a KPT 415 bass bin, I'm here to tell you it excells in just about any application.

The KPT 415 bass bin is this monster KPT - 942 - 4 - T | Klipsch

The design paramaters for the Jubilee as I recall are:

1. Raise the HF output of the bass bin to 1Khz (accomplished but it's still being crossed around 450Hz)
2. Keep the same footprint as the Khorn (accomplished if you excuse the technical size addition of the back panel)
3. Keep the same or lower the distortion vis-a-vie the Khorn (accomplished, in fact, if my memory serves me, the Jubilee has 1/3'rd the distortion the Khorn exhibits)


From a simple real world perspective, the Juiblee will absolutely knock your socks off. Doing a side by side to a Khorn will convince you that there really isn't a choice if it's sound you're after. A large part of this magic is the improvement in sound by using the 2" K402 horn and getting away from those smaller horns.

The Jubilee will be an easier build and provide superior sound.

That said, best of luck in whatever you build!!

I am chasing Moray around like a little shadow...
  Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2013, 02:34 AM   #16
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Knoxville, TN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadoinc View Post
It looks like I need to rethink my plans for a K-horn.
I created a simple model to see how much space they would take, and I have no room for them if I do not move a door
I have to look for something else to build, for example cornscala. It was a shame there was not enough space. Do not need new speakers, but saw this as a challenge

Does anyone have any suggestions for other speakers to build?
with regards,
Nils
Great, now I read this after I wrote the book

You might do a lookup on various forums for the "JubeScala"

The JubeScala is taking a LaScala bottom end and mating it with either the (huge) K402 horn on top (used on the Jubilee) or, you can use the smaller K510 horn (also a 2" horn) and incorporate the smaller K510 into the tophat of the LaScala.

By going with the LaScala you can go 2-way and stay horn loaded on the bass bin.

I'll see if I can attach a picture of the JubeScala using the smaller horn.

It's the closest you can get to the sound of the Jubilee that I've yet to hear.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JubLSI.jpg (311.3 KB, 213 views)
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (166.2 KB, 209 views)
File Type: jpg 2jubmwm.jpg (60.9 KB, 207 views)
File Type: jpg 2jubscala.jpg (59.0 KB, 206 views)
File Type: jpg 510.jpg (157.8 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg new.JPG (48.8 KB, 82 views)

Last edited by Coytee; 29th January 2013 at 02:39 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2013, 02:37 AM   #17
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Knoxville, TN
dupe
  Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2013, 12:35 PM   #18
Sadoinc is offline Sadoinc  Norway
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by whgeiger View Post
If you just change the door to open out would that be sufficient solution?

WHG
The door opens outwards. I have only 82 cm from the corner to the door, and I should have had 30-40 cm more. I can move the door, but it is a project for the future.
  Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2013, 12:54 PM   #19
Sadoinc is offline Sadoinc  Norway
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coytee View Post
Great, now I read this after I wrote the book

You might do a lookup on various forums for the "JubeScala"

The JubeScala is taking a LaScala bottom end and mating it with either the (huge) K402 horn on top (used on the Jubilee) or, you can use the smaller K510 horn (also a 2" horn) and incorporate the smaller K510 into the tophat of the LaScala.

By going with the LaScala you can go 2-way and stay horn loaded on the bass bin.

I'll see if I can attach a picture of the JubeScala using the smaller horn.

It's the closest you can get to the sound of the Jubilee that I've yet to hear.
I think I'm going to go for Bob Crites Cornscala in the first place. Then I can use most of the parts in another project later. These will go deeper in the bass than Lascala.

There were many exciting horn here, but I have a waf I have to take into account too.
But thanks for the suggestions.
Rgds
Nils
  Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2013, 11:34 PM   #20
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Calgary on the Bow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadoinc View Post
I think I'm going to go for Bob Crites Cornscala in the first place. Then I can use most of the parts in another project later. These will go deeper in the bass than Lascala.

There were many exciting horn here, but I have a waf I have to take into account too.
But thanks for the suggestions.
Rgds
Nils
a vented LaScala will go lower than a Cornwall and you have much greater efficiency. A two way LaScala will integrate into a small room so much better than a three way. Best regards Moray James.
__________________
moray james
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
horn speaker plans eeplok Full Range 1 27th February 2011 09:13 AM
Hedlund horn plans Michael Speaker Full Range 3 17th November 2005 01:23 PM
Looking For Folded Horn Sub Plans nniwelt Subwoofers 16 29th August 2005 05:43 AM
A480 horn plans? -Sergei- Multi-Way 0 9th August 2003 06:08 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 02:56 PM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2