K-horn plans

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Why don't you join up at the Klipsch forum, it is a great place the people are top notch and you will find a good number of builder there who you can talk to.
The biggest problem with a Khorn is its extension (bass horn) that's why it is a three way it had been intended to be a two way but PWK simply could not make that happen and that is why the Jubilee was born to realize the dream of a large two way. Back to the Khorn as far as I know if you load it with an Altec 515 and you optimize the throat you can make the Khorn play past 450Hz. so a two way is possible with the right woofer and the right matching horn like some of the early D.B.Keele Electrovoice designs. What ever mid horn that you use the K400 probably not your best pic. But why not ask the guys who have done what you are planning to do for yourself? Best regards Moray James.

PS: if you have not looked at the Jubilee I think that you should as it is a better loudspeaker and it is a much easier build and it does not necessarily need a corner.

Why don't you join up at the Klipsch forum, it is a great place the people are top notch and you will find a good number of builder there who you can talk to.
The biggest problem with a Khorn is its extension (bass horn) that's why it is a three way it had been intended to be a two way but PWK simply could not make that happen and that is why the Jubilee was born to realize the dream of a large two way. Back to the Khorn as far as I know if you load it with an Altec 515 and you optimize the throat you can make the Khorn play past 450Hz. so a two way is possible with the right woofer and the right matching horn like some of the early D.B.Keele Electrovoice designs. What ever mid horn that you use the K400 probably not your best pic. But why not ask the guys who have done what you are planning to do for yourself? Best regards Moray James.

PS: if you have not looked at the Jubilee I think that you should as it is a better loudspeaker and it is a much easier build and it does not necessarily need a corner.

+1

I have to add:

• Khorns use corners as a horn to increase the total SPL. put them in the middle of nowhere far from corners and you probably won't get that 104db/w/m Paul W.K. claimed :rolleyes: (I'm talking about woofer only)
  • Khorns could be used is a real 2-way design if you use Radian 950PB, Faital FH200 or similar nice CD which do from 400hz and up (with proper wave guide)
  • go for ported La Scala which goes down to 30hz or so as it's much easier to build and doesn't need a corner. I've build Scala myself and it's not as neck-breaking as Khorn is. I have no idea about Jubliee.
  • Khorns might play down to 32-34hz or so, but they will rock your heart as you'll feel big drum is just in front of you. I don't know maybe it's Paul's soul doing something inside that chamber of Khorn :p

Joined 2006
Paid Member
I got everything one would ever need to build Khorns.

don't forget they are hard to build. made up your mind before waging the war becasue you may explode all the workshop with some C-4 in the middle of the job :D

Great work there!!!! :worship:

But save the C4 for something more important - with all of that lumber in there all you really need to do iz light a match to it should you feel the need...... :D:D:D:D

Thanks guys,
I`m planning to use them as a 3way configuration, and I`ve got corners to put them in.
The Jubilee might be an option, but if I remember right, it`s a lot bigger than the K-horn.
I think that I will use Crites woofers, Atlas PD -5VH driver. Not sure about the tweeters yet.
You folks have to pardon my English, I`m a Norwegian and my written English is not that god.

Thanks guys,
I`m planning to use them as a 3way configuration, and I`ve got corners to put them in.
The Jubilee might be an option, but if I remember right, it`s a lot bigger than the K-horn.
I think that I will use Crites woofers, Atlas PD -5VH driver. Not sure about the tweeters yet.
You folks have to pardon my English, I`m a Norwegian and my written English is not that god.

Yes Jubliee and Khorn are like father and son :)
I suggest to go for new CDs instead of that Atlas old-tech one. I'm not saying it's bad at all but you can have better CDs for the same price. Selenium 2"drivers are also an option.
abut tweeter, everybody keep saying "CT-125 is an upgrade over K-77" but my experience is contrary of these claims :( I would use Beyma CP25 or some Selenium or BMS with proper horn

The Klipsch horn is fantastic, I had a DIY pair years ago. Not only need they proper corners the walls also have to be rigid enough. I moved to an apartment wiith a corner were the outer wall was concrete but the backwall flimsy gyprock. I lost 6-8 dB below 80 Hz, then I moved to no proper corners at all and the horns were scrapped. The horns do not go that deep but it does not matter, they have that totaly effortless presentation were you feel that there is endless reserves on tap. The do have slam and inpact in spades.

Take your time and find metric drawings preferably with all material in 19 mm sheets. I have seen some with parts made in 12mm and that is on the thin side. If you go with thin ones like
Download Section
You can use "mjuk masonite" or " asfaboard" on the other side as damping with very little increase in weight. Asfalt plate på din Byggmax!

The Klipsch horn is fantastic, I had a DIY pair years ago. Not only need they proper corners the walls also have to be rigid enough. I moved to an apartment wiith a corner were the outer wall was concrete but the backwall flimsy gyprock. I lost 6-8 dB below 80 Hz, then I moved to no proper corners at all and the horns were scrapped. The horns do not go that deep but it does not matter, they have that totaly effortless presentation were you feel that there is endless reserves on tap. The do have slam and inpact in spades.

Take your time and find metric drawings preferably with all material in 19 mm sheets. I have seen some with parts made in 12mm and that is on the thin side. If you go with thin ones like
Download Section
You can use "mjuk masonite" or " asfaboard" on the other side as damping with very little increase in weight. Asfalt plate på din Byggmax!

Yes, I've seen those drawings and I`ve got a copy of this also
Hornloudspeaker Magazine: Comprehensive list of Klipsch plans, vintage/heritage line

I'm a little unsure of what I choose, therefore I will take a look at the Seakerlab plans too.
I agree with you that metric drawings with 19 mm plywood would be the best.

perhaps you misunderstand me. The reason a Khorn is a three way is because PWK could not get the bass horn to run up high enough to mate to available horns of the day. A Khorn will barely do 400 Hz and it does that poorly it only gets up to about 300 Hs with any kind of reasonable ability it only gets down to 39 Hz. I don't believe that thicker material will buy you much not that I think it is a bad idea but it will not change the response at all. A large Cd horn which can get down to 300 Hz would be a big help and you can choose what ever tweeter you happen to like mini DSP will make things a lot easier. There are those who have used direct radiators with high efficiency to replace the Khorn and been very pleased with the results at low frequencies it is a sealed box anyway. A LaScala won't get up any higher than a Khorn will you will still need a very large horn or a mid bass horn. A LaScala will get up as high and it will sound a little better as it has fewer bends in the path. That would be a bonus. Direct radiators better again. Run some simulations with a 515 and I believe you will find it will do a far better job than just about anything else in a Khorn. Good luck and best regards Moray James.

It looks like I need to rethink my plans for a K-horn.
I created a simple model to see how much space they would take, and I have no room for them if I do not move a door
I have to look for something else to build, for example cornscala. It was a shame there was not enough space. Do not need new speakers, but saw this as a challenge

Does anyone have any suggestions for other speakers to build?
with regards,
Nils

K-horns are a very big project.
The speakerlab plans are for one half inch or 12.7mm
You will need to adapt them for 19mm.
I would recommend adding 19mm sheets to the walls at the corner to increase rigidity unless the walls are brick or concrete.
The proposed midhorn driver will work but it needs equalizing.
its designed for voice-PA so it is not very flat.

I am not saying that La Scal sound good up to 1200 Hz but it does have output way above the predicted mass roll off frequency. (This driver has about 150Hz as mass roll off)

Blue curve a classic bass driver Fr 30 Hz Q 0.4 the green curve a Beyma horn driver Fr>60 Hz and Q of 0.2 so that one has a mass roll of at 600 Hz in theory
Gamma1231-80cmTable.png

It has slam but not the depth of the corner horns.

Last edited:
?

I created a simple model to see how much space they would take, and I have no room for them if I do not move a door
I have to look for something else to build, for example cornscala. It was a shame there was not enough space. Do not need new speakers, but saw this as a challenge

with regards,
Nils

If you just change the door to open out would that be sufficient solution?

WHG

The Jubilee has essentially the same footprint as the Klipschorn. Yes in absolute terms the Jubilee is bigger but that's because the back is enclosed and brings the sound back around to the front.

The Khorn instead, simply fires into the corner.

Once you put them BOTH into a proper corner, the Juiblee does NOT infringe any more into the room than the Khorn does (well, maybe not much more)

My memory says the Jubilee needs about 36 inches, about 1 meter, from the corner. This might be a couple inches more than the Khorn.

What makes the Juiblee appear so outlandishly huge is that (wonderful) huge horn on top of it.

Having heard that huge horn (K402) on top of the Jubilee as well as on top of a LaScala and a MWM and atop a KPT 415 bass bin, I'm here to tell you it excells in just about any application.

The KPT 415 bass bin is this monster KPT - 942 - 4 - T | Klipsch

The design paramaters for the Jubilee as I recall are:

1. Raise the HF output of the bass bin to 1Khz (accomplished but it's still being crossed around 450Hz)
2. Keep the same footprint as the Khorn (accomplished if you excuse the technical size addition of the back panel)
3. Keep the same or lower the distortion vis-a-vie the Khorn (accomplished, in fact, if my memory serves me, the Jubilee has 1/3'rd the distortion the Khorn exhibits)

From a simple real world perspective, the Juiblee will absolutely knock your socks off. Doing a side by side to a Khorn will convince you that there really isn't a choice if it's sound you're after. A large part of this magic is the improvement in sound by using the 2" K402 horn and getting away from those smaller horns.

The Jubilee will be an easier build and provide superior sound.

That said, best of luck in whatever you build!!

I am chasing Moray around like a little shadow... :D

with regards,
Nils

Great, now I read this after I wrote the book :D

You might do a lookup on various forums for the "JubeScala"

The JubeScala is taking a LaScala bottom end and mating it with either the (huge) K402 horn on top (used on the Jubilee) or, you can use the smaller K510 horn (also a 2" horn) and incorporate the smaller K510 into the tophat of the LaScala.

By going with the LaScala you can go 2-way and stay horn loaded on the bass bin.

I'll see if I can attach a picture of the JubeScala using the smaller horn.

It's the closest you can get to the sound of the Jubilee that I've yet to hear.

Attachments

• JubLSI.jpg
    JubLSI.jpg
    311.3 KB · Views: 644
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 539
  • 2jubmwm.jpg
    2jubmwm.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 584
  • 2jubscala.jpg
    2jubscala.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 538
  • 510.jpg
    510.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 236
  • new.JPG
    new.JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 212
Last edited:
Great, now I read this after I wrote the book :D

You might do a lookup on various forums for the "JubeScala"

The JubeScala is taking a LaScala bottom end and mating it with either the (huge) K402 horn on top (used on the Jubilee) or, you can use the smaller K510 horn (also a 2" horn) and incorporate the smaller K510 into the tophat of the LaScala.

By going with the LaScala you can go 2-way and stay horn loaded on the bass bin.

I'll see if I can attach a picture of the JubeScala using the smaller horn.

It's the closest you can get to the sound of the Jubilee that I've yet to hear.
I think I'm going to go for Bob Crites Cornscala in the first place. Then I can use most of the parts in another project later. These will go deeper in the bass than Lascala.

There were many exciting horn here, but I have a waf I have to take into account too.:)
But thanks for the suggestions.
Rgds
Nils

I think I'm going to go for Bob Crites Cornscala in the first place. Then I can use most of the parts in another project later. These will go deeper in the bass than Lascala.

There were many exciting horn here, but I have a waf I have to take into account too.:)
But thanks for the suggestions.
Rgds
Nils

a vented LaScala will go lower than a Cornwall and you have much greater efficiency. A two way LaScala will integrate into a small room so much better than a three way. Best regards Moray James.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.