Best mid-bass for 96cm horn?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm about to build a horn speaker for one of my costumers. I'm looking for a proper driver to be used as mid-bass for Autotech 96cm horn. the goal is to get highest efficiency with flat response and tonal accuracy.

How about this mid horn and driver.

Only 1 watt is needed to get 110dB on one meter distance.

For hifi applications you can use it down to 400Hz when you do not play it louder then about 6 watt. What would mean you have 118dB on one meter distance.

It is a short wide horn so minimal coloration of the sound.

People do not understand the difference between using such a driver for PA or in home. For hifi use you can use a low order filter at low frequencies when you play it with a few watts.

Horns
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

HQ driver I guess it will play even down to 350Hz second order and 300Hz third order filter. With this autotech horn.
ND2060A - HF Neodymium Driver

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

ND2060A - HF Neodymium Driver

Last edited:
How about this mid horn and driver.

Only 1 watt is needed to get 110dB on one meter distance.

For hifi applications you can use it down to 400Hz when you do not play it louder then about 6 watt. What would mean you have 118dB on one meter distance.

It is a short wide horn so minimal coloration of the sound.

People do not understand the difference between using such a driver for PA or in home. For hifi use you can use a low order filter at low frequencies when you play it with a few watts.

Horns

HQ driver I guess it will play even down to 350Hz second order and 300Hz third order filter. With this autotech horn.

Combine it with the 18sound 15MB606 LF driver and get a nice 100dB 1Wmtr system.

Then you would have to reduce the efficiency of the HF driver with 10dB. If you build a 118dB on 1meter distance system the maximum amplifier power you can use is then 63 Watt.
326268d1359124688-looking-recomendations-15-woofers-schermafbeelding-2013-01-25-om-15.36.30.png

Volume 4,76cuft and BR-port size 18sound 15mb606.

In the simulation you see the radiation of the cone.

The rear-port gain is the output of the BR-pipe that ads to the radiation of the cone. sim shows -6dB down to 35HZ with a very high efficiency of 100dB 1Wmtr the edge of what is physically possible

Attachments

• Schermafbeelding 2013-01-27 om 11.51.38.png
    Schermafbeelding 2013-01-27 om 11.51.38.png
    31.3 KB · Views: 40
  • Schermafbeelding 2013-01-27 om 11.49.59.png
    Schermafbeelding 2013-01-27 om 11.49.59.png
    30.7 KB · Views: 38
  • Schermafbeelding 2013-01-27 om 11.53.05.png
    Schermafbeelding 2013-01-27 om 11.53.05.png
    31.6 KB · Views: 37
I see. you know what, Philips 9710 is also a competitor of FE206... do you think this will work?

You can not compare the spec of the fostex with the philips one.

I think it could work but it is only a gues. Because I can not predict results as with a HF driver and horn.
If you like high accuracy I would go for a 2" or 1" horn lowest distortion. Very good weight to radiation area better then a cone driver.
You may be into vintage stuff but the new HF drivers are very accurate no comparison with vintage cone drivers.

Info on the philips 9710 alnico.
Philips 9710/

Last edited:
MF Driver

I'm about to build a horn speaker for one of my costumers. I'm looking for a proper driver to be used as mid-bass for Autotech 96cm horn. the goal is to get highest efficiency with flat response and tonal accuracy.

this horn:

Use a Community M4 with an adapter to get to its 4" throat.
Regards,
WHG

Design Information
M4 - A White Paper: Rent Com Inc: Audio Visual, Video, Projection, Presentation Rental AV Equipment
Specification Sheet

Attachments

• M4_SPEC.pdf
    88.2 KB · Views: 46
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.