Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th January 2013, 07:27 PM   #1
snir is offline snir  Israel
diyAudio Member

Default How to improve my speakers?

Hi guys,

I have 14 years old home theater of Klipsch. I want to change the speakers system of each speaker.

I would like to start with the floorstanding speakers: klipsh cf1
CF - 1 | Klipsch

can someone please advise me of a nice combenation of tweeter and woofer for this speaker cabinet?

The system is for home theater and the reciver that I have is Yamaha rx-457 (85Wx6).

Thanks
Snir
Old 26th January 2013, 08:47 PM   #2
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Its a lot more complicated than you envisage.
Swapping drivers won't help, most of the time.

rgds, Sreten.
Old 26th January 2013, 08:55 PM   #3
tvrgeek is offline tvrgeek  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snir View Post
Hi guys,

I have 14 years old home theater of Klipsch. I want to change the speakers system of each speaker.

I would like to start with the floorstanding speakers: klipsh cf1
CF - 1 | Klipsch

can someone please advise me of a nice combenation of tweeter and woofer for this speaker cabinet?

The system is for home theater and the reciver that I have is Yamaha rx-457 (85Wx6).

Thanks
Snir
If I remember that series, I can understand your desire to move up, and I am glad you are asking about speakers first. So many people think a new AVR will solve the problem. It won't. It's the speakers. I say that not being hard on your speakers, but the speakers are the worst part of every system, I don't care if you have Wilsons. The biggest upgrade is always the speakers.

Please take some time to read various threads on this forum. You will then understand designing speakers is not picking some new parts for an old box. Kilpsh spent considerable time and money to build a speaker SYSTEM using the boxes you have. Why do you think you can just drop in some new drivers and make it better? The box is part of a system. All the parts work together.

Speaker design is an engineering process. It takes about 6 months to do a design well. It takes many many years to know how. ( I have been at it about 40 and I am far from expert) If you want to start in DIY, I recommend you look at the kits that are in your size/price range. If you just want better speakers cheap, look at e-bay.

The other thing you need to know is for commercial speakers, the box is the big expense, so it is where they cut corners, or more precisely, don't cut the corners which causes diffraction issues. In other words, you don't want to use you old boxes anyway if you really want to move up.

One more thing. The Klipsh are very efficient. You will notice almost all other speakers will need to have the power turned up quite a way. ( reset all the surround levels) Not good or bad, just be aware.

I don't mean to be beating yo up, but I don;t want to see you heading off on a path that will leave you with destroyed speakers, less money and nothing to listen to.
Old 26th January 2013, 09:50 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreten View Post
Hi,

Its a lot more complicated than you envisage.
Swapping drivers won't help, most of the time.

rgds, Sreten.
+1

Why don't you just check they are in good shape and properly functional after this amount of time?

Also you could feed them with a better amp, the yamaha unit you have looks run of the mill.
Old 26th January 2013, 09:56 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I don't know about the overseas market (Israel?) but as mentioned, you can sell your old speakers and buy new ones in the used market (I like eBay), including re-selling the crap you thought you wanted but turns out you don't! Also helps if you can buy local with heavy things like speakers, to save shipping costs or having EOD blow up your package before it gets delivered

Hide this!Advertise here!